McCulloch Leaking Filter Bowl

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
The 2" was just a ballpark figure. I did measure the opening with calipers and these are the closest in size. I just wonder which type would be better, flat or X?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The 2" was just a ballpark figure. I did measure the opening with calipers and these are the closest in size. I just wonder which type would be better, flat or X?
Post your 3 numbers.... "Closest" in size doesn't cut it with o-rings

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
OD is 1 1/2" ID is a bit fluid. There is about an 1/8" lip/ledge with a screen in the middle. As long as it fits in the housing and doesn't cover up much of the screen I think all is well. ID measured out at 1 5/16", but think the "ledge" around the outside of screen could support a 1 1/4" ID, giving it a better seal. Sorry, but don't know if can be more definite about the ID without taking the fuel pump off which I'd rather not do. What I am a bit concerned with though is thickness which isn't listed anywhere that I can find. If it's too damned thick might not be able to get the bowl back on. The original gasket was fairly thin and made of cork. I tried to duplicate it out of a cork/rubber material. Worked great at first, but seems to deteriorate rapidly, so no good. I just want to keep this thing from leaking. Not real confident that an O ring is the answer either, but I got to do something.

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
A few pics.

Attachments

• McC Bowl and Gasket 01.jpg
    McC Bowl and Gasket 01.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1
  • McC Bowl and Gasket 02.jpg
    McC Bowl and Gasket 02.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 2
  • McC Bowl and Gasket 03.jpg
    McC Bowl and Gasket 03.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 2
  • McC Bowl and Gasket 05.jpg
    McC Bowl and Gasket 05.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 2

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
OD is 1 1/2" ID is a bit fluid. There is about an 1/8" lip/ledge with a screen in the middle. As long as it fits in the housing and doesn't cover up much of the screen I think all is well. ID measured out at 1 5/16", but think the "ledge" around the outside of screen could support a 1 1/4" ID, giving it a better seal. Sorry, but don't know if can be more definite about the ID without taking the fuel pump off which I'd rather not do. What I am a bit concerned with though is thickness which isn't listed anywhere that I can find. If it's too damned thick might not be able to get the bowl back on. The original gasket was fairly thin and made of cork. I tried to duplicate it out of a cork/rubber material. Worked great at first, but seems to deteriorate rapidly, so no good. I just want to keep this thing from leaking. Not real confident that an O ring is the answer either, but I got to do something.
The o-ring goes in the groove on the bottom of the carb body, not on the bowl
image.jpgimage.jpg

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
This is on the fuel pump not the carb and there is no groove. Just a little ledge that goes around the circumference. It didn't come with an O ring. I'm just thinking of trying one because nothing else has worked. Open to any suggestions. Including glopping it up with some type of sealer. I regret the day I ever removed the bowl. The screen actually was clean so it was all for nothing. :-(

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
This is on the fuel pump not the carb and there is no groove. Just a little ledge that goes around the circumference. It didn't come with an O ring. I'm just thinking of trying one because nothing else has worked. Open to any suggestions. Including glopping it up with some type of sealer. I regret the day I ever removed the bowl. The screen actually was clean so it was all for nothing. :-(
What was sealing it previously?

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
As far as I know it was sealing. I took it apart before I ever had it running, but it wasn't leaking while I was trying to start it. Thanks for that link buddy! That looks like what I need. Just wonder if it's the correct size and whether or not the ethanol will kill it.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Just wonder if it's the correct size and whether or not the ethanol will kill it.
Call them.....

Most common "automotive" rubbers (Viton, Nitrile, EPDM) could care less about ethanol. It's the formulation of the now 40 year old fuel lines and gaskets that get people in trouble.

airshot

Rear Admiral
If it makes you feel any better...when I was a kid, my Dad had a 1954 Elgin outboard with a similiar glass bowl under the carb. It leaked every spring when we got it ready for summer. He used to order multiple cork type gaskets to keep one on hand. Eventually he made a small punch and die at work to make his own from stock material. Awesome running motor, 7.5 hp but had to keep an eye on the glass bowl leak!!!! Kinda looks like non ever lasted very long!!!

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Airshot, that actually does make me feel better and was already thinking along the same lines. Funny thing is, even after sitting for at least a few years it wasn't leaking. It was fine until I took it apart. What do you think about using some Tack It or High Tack on another cork gasket? I know got one or the other, maybe both in my supply cabinet.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Thanks Airshot, that actually does make me feel better and was already thinking along the same lines. Funny thing is, even after sitting for at least a few years it wasn't leaking. It was fine until I took it apart. What do you think about using some Tack It or High Tack on another cork gasket? I know got one or the other, maybe both in my supply cabinet.
Remember...if you add any type of sealer, then you will be scraping, brushing, picking off the old when it is time to replace that gasket !!