Maybe gimbal bearing?

SeaRay33

Recruit
Just took the boat out for the first time since I bought it and everything was great.... For 10 minutes... and then this grinding sound happens at all times when the engine is on. I think it may be the gimbal bearing since it gets louder when turning but at 3.5k rpm it seems to not be there anymore?

alldodge

Staff member
Might be, but does the drive have lube in it?
Has the drive lube been changed?
If it is the gimbal, just pull the drive and have a look

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Just took the boat out for the first time since I bought it and everything was great.... For 10 minutes... and then this grinding sound happens at all times when the engine is on. I think it may be the gimbal bearing since it gets louder when turning but at 3.5k rpm it seems to not be there anymore?
saltwater boat? Buy stethoscope and try to locate grinding before tearing everything apart on motor. At high RPMs motor noise will usually hide issues. Regardless, pull OD and inspect bearings and "slop," just to be sure and also start maintenance schedule. Log everything! At least that part will be completed. Be sure to use your hand to rotate G bearing and examine for any roughness. Buy a good manual. You will need it or a pocket full of $$$. MC are easy and relative inexpensive to work on but OBs provided less headaches but cost more in tools and maintenance expenses. Just my 2 cents...

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I kind of beat the drum a bit that any new to you used boat needs every bit of maintenance done by you before running your boat. The assumption must be that the maintenance was neglected. That means pulling the drive, draining it, splitting the halves, inspecting everything, replacing the impeller and or water pump housing, inspecting driveshaft, u-joints, gimbal bearing, bellows, shine a flashlight on the couplers and so on. Look at the maintenance requirements and perform all the relevant tasks.

Taking it out on the water and hearing a problem is just an expected result of not doing the above.

todhunter

Canoeist
Ayuh,..... The tops of the splines should be 'bout 3/32" flat, not pointy,....

If they're pointy, the coupler is worn out,....
Thanks for clarifying. My engine is out right now and wondering if there is any benefit to pulling the cover off the coupler housing to inspect, or if the flashlight method is good enough. Or, if I should just replace the coupler while I'm here. The boat is a 1987 and I believe everything is original.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks for clarifying. My engine is out right now and wondering if there is any benefit to pulling the cover off the coupler housing to inspect, or if the flashlight method is good enough. Or, if I should just replace the coupler while I'm here. The boat is a 1987 and I believe everything is original.
1987? You may also have rotten wood, lots of rotten wood. Rot may cause sagging metal and binding. Trust me! If motor is out, start pounding transom and stringer areas.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
1987? You may also have rotten wood, lots of rotten wood. Rot may cause sagging metal and binding. Trust me! If motor is out, start pounding transom and stringer areas.
Pretty sure he's already past that stage...

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Pretty sure he's already past that stage...
He said he hasn't drilled. He should while motor is out. Just my 2 cents...

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Are you talking about todhunter's boat? From post #25 on his thread: "Well boys, transom is rotten (though not nearly as bad as the stringers), as I probably should have expected. But...wet is wet. It's got to go."

todhunter

Canoeist
You just read the first post in a thread with 14 pages, haha. Tip of the iceberg! As stated, I did drill, and the boat now has a brand new transom, stringers, and deck. I didn't mean to hijack the original poster's thread this bad - sorry about that. I'm nearly done with the structure restoration on my project and am trying to gather tidbits of info on the upcoming mechanical refresh on my build.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
You just read the first post in a thread with 14 pages, haha. Tip of the iceberg! As stated, I did drill, and the boat now has a brand new transom, stringers, and deck. I didn't mean to hijack the original poster's thread this bad - sorry about that. I'm nearly done with the structure restoration on my project and am trying to gather tidbits of info on the upcoming mechanical refresh on my build.
14 pages.... Damn, that War and Peace!