Maxum 17' carpet removal

hvacusa

Recruit
Hi to everyone, I am new to this forum and looking for solution.
I have Maxum 17' with Mecury outboard & deep hull . Always kept indoor and 120 hr. on engine.
Recently I moved to Florida and want to convert this fresh water boat to salt water.
My Idea is to apply jell coat directly over the carpet , the decking is in perfect condition down under. Removing the carpet is very time consuming and cleaning the glue is a difficult job .
Any advise is highly appreciated.
Thank You !!!

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
Welcome to iBoats . . .

Gelcoat over the carpet . . . now why didn't I think of that. :ROFLMAO:

Might be better to buy a small center console instead. . .

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
Definitely not a solid plan of action, to the point where I'm wondering if you're not making an attempt at boat humor?

Not trying to offend, but this one's up there.

Take the time and effort to get the carpet off, prepare the deck for gelcoat, and do it the right way. Or, take it to someone qualified to do the work the right way on your dime.

Please don't consider your original plan of action one second longer.

hvacusa

Recruit
Welcome to iBoats . . .

Gelcoat over the carpet . . . now why didn't I think of that. :ROFLMAO:

Might be better to buy a small center console instead. . .
Hi Ted, Logically I don't see why not, once the gel coat is applied will form sturdy shell reinforced by the carpet fibers. Any way I am looking for pro gay opinion.
Thanks
Boby

tpenfield

Staff member
Hi Ted, Logically I don't see why not, once the gel coat is applied will form sturdy shell reinforced by the carpet fibers. Any way I am looking for pro opinion.
Thanks
Boby
I do not think it will work out and you'll have a mell of a hess on your hands.

But if you do try it, post pictures, please.

todhunter

Canoeist
If it works (and I don't think it will), you're going to have to use a TON of gelcoat to fill the carpet fibers, which I think will be cost prohibitive and it will add a lot of unnecessary weight.

I would pull up what you can by hand then buy 3-4 boxes of cheap 40-grit flap discs for your angle grinder and go to town cleaning off the remaining carpet backing and glue residue. I'm thinking 20-40 hours and you could have a pristine surface ready for gelcoat.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Is the carpet heat and styrene rated?

Not a well conceived idea, except to make
Here hold my beer
videos for utube entertainment

matt167

Captain
I think it would have to be fiberglassed first for this to work at all., being the carpet fibers need to absorb the resin

However you want any advice and the best advice is don't.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
so, instead of simply removing the carpet which is an 8 hour job, you would rather dump 300# of gel coat in the boat?

which will then crack and fail in about a weeks worth of time of using it.

Me personally, i would leave the carpeting and replace it when it finally needs it.