Mariner 5M Broken Prop Shaft...

NovaScotian

Cadet
Hi guys. New to this forum, although Ive been on other forums plenty before. Hope you guys can give me some advice...

I recently got a mid-eighties Mariner 5M and a 12' aluminum boat. On my third trip out, I hit a rock and the engine revved way up. I figured it was the cotter pin until I pulled the motor up and couldnt see a prop. Once I got back to shore (thanks trolling motor :D), I realized that the prop shaft snapped off right at the cotter pin hole.

New parts to fix it are in the $300 range and I only paid $200 for the motor. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what other prop shafts or lower units would fit on this motor. I heard Yamaha, Merc and Mariner were all basically the same at some points in these smaller older motors. If I had a good cross reference, I could go looking for spare parts more easily. I can get the serial number when I get back to the shop...

Has anyone tried or heard of welding something like this? I have a REALLY good machine shop nearby, and have considered going looking for the missing prop and piece of shaft... Maybe $75-100 would fix it...

NovaScotian

Cadet
Re: Mariner 5M Broken Prop Shaft...

Motor tag reads: 5M 6E3 S 145753

Im diggin out my fins and goin in :D

TommyA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think that you might be able to find some used parts for the engine. I don't often look at repairing engines as to what was paid for them but more toward the replacement cost. If you could find another Mariner engine then you would have one for parts.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

That's a Tohatsu produced engine so:

Tohatsu M5B
Nissan NS5B
Tohatsu MFS4A
MFS4B
MFS5A
MFS5B
MFS6A
MFS6B
Nissan NSF4A
NSF4B
NSF5A
NSF5B
NSF6A
NSF6B
Any Mercury labeled 4 hp, 5 hp or 6 hp in a 4-stroke.

NovaScotian

Cadet

I know what you mean, Tommy.

Thanks Guru, thats exactly what Im looking for :D. I assume those are all model numbers... The whole lower unit is the same on all of those? Where do the numbers off my motor fit in that list?

No luck snorkelling for the prop yet, gonna go back at high noon for a better look one of these days... Its painted white, so maaaaybe...

We are thinking of welding her if I can find it, its worth a shot...

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Yes, yes and you have the equivalent of a Tohatsu M5B. I don't know what the Mercury/Mariner model number sequence is.