Marine plywood for transom

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Marine plywood for transom

AS stated before many many times...... They do not recommend regular PT, what they recommend is not the same and yes kiln drying is important.

The APA does not agree with you!

They are talking about the wood that is made and marketed for the marine industry NOT the wood that is made and marketed for home construction.

THE APA DOES NOT AGREE WITH YOU! Stop using them to try and win your silly fight.

I'm weird you sent me PM's starting Craig Darling????

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

AS stated before many many times...... They do not recommend regular PT, what they recommend is not the same.....

This is their spec:
APA recommends the following minimum grade specifications for most boat construction applications*:
APA C-C Plugged, PS-1, Group 1, EXTERIOR
or
the panel should meet an ICI Number of 7-3-3-3.​
This is EXACTLY what is on the plywood from the HOME DEPOT. It is EXACTLY what is on the pt ply in my garage from the local lumber yard.

If you care to actually read the document you quote from, you will see that no where does it say that pressure treated ply is maring grade.

It would really help if you knew what you were talking about.

Its obviously a waste of time talking to you. So I'm done. Have a nice life.

erikgreen

Captain

I like using Arauco plywood for boat repair, and I'll be using it for my next transom.

It's a relatively modern plywood from a plantation based manufacturer in Chile, they take care to grow the trees in a way that makes for nice looking solid plywood, and they use a solid core (composite) rather than just another ply. I like the fact that it's plantation grown so no wild or exotic third world trees are cut.

It's waterproof, though not rot treated. I get mine at Menards. It comes in 1/4", 1/2" and 3/4" varieties, it's almost always nearly flat (even from menards) because it's stable stuff, and usually has no knots at all, and is AB sanded so it's pretty.

I recommend it without reservation for your transom.

On the subject of "lying" and misinformation, I would like to encourage everyone here to be open to several points of view on subjects like what plywood to use and what oil to use... these are subjects where folks have hard and fast views that won't change easily.

All we can do is listen politely and state our own views the same way when we see information we consider incorrect being posted. If we can calmly discuss facts about things we really care about without getting into shouting matches, we'll all learn something.

Erik

QC

Supreme Mariner

I would like to encourage everyone here to be open to several points of view on subjects like what plywood to use and what oil to use... these are subjects where folks have hard and fast views that won't change easily.

All we can do is listen politely and state our own views the same way when we see information we consider incorrect being posted. If we can calmly discuss facts about things we really care about without getting into shouting matches, we'll all learn something.

Erik
What he said ^^^^^^ As Ron Burgundy of San Diego's KVWN Channel 4 News says, "agree to disagree" and move on.

Sparkler

Seaman Apprentice

Pressure treating plywood or 2x4's is done simply to prevent pest infestation. If water is not allowed to penetrate the wood itself then a good exterior grade plywood will work just fine and last for years. The key is the protection that you use to coat it with. People were sailing watercraft long before anyone came up with "marine grade" anything and had them in service for many years. Now before you all decide to hang me from the yard arms just remember that I know absolutely nothing about boating. I did however work in a plywood plant for years grading veneer and operating a glue press for assembly of every kind of plywood known to man. The main thing that marine grade has going for it is the fact that the guys laying up the veneer truly take pride in their work and leave no voids. The glues have very little to do with it. hanks for listening. Now I am ready to walk the plank so poke away!:rolleyes:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I would like to see each side lay out their case pro or con on the subject. So far no facts or reasons (well a few) have been put forth to support either side, just a rather strong yes or no opinion.

I think a good argument can be made for either side and I want to see what angle each take on it.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I guess this turned into a good thread with lots of information, but I'm almost sorry I brought it up!
surprised.gif