Marine grade wood sealer advice

RaftRat

Seaman Apprentice
Ahoy mates! I’m looking for some guidance on a wood sealer for my floor and benches. I found a product called Gleam by Total Boat seems to have good reviews for finish and ease of use, so I was leaning in that direction. And I was going to use the “Old Timer’s” mix for that thirsty first coat. But looking at some literature by Total Boat, Gleam is made with tung oil- I think a thin oil comparable to boiled Linseed oil, so I’m guessing it’s already a thinner product. And they recommend only using their brand of thinner for a guarantee of compatibility. Total Boat also offers their brand- Wood Sealer to be used for that thirsty first coat. So I’m wondering if I still need to follow the “Old Timer’s” recipe for this product with their brand of thinner? Or is it just a marketing ploy? Or just use their branded Wood Sealer? So does anyone have any advice or experience with this product? Or is there another product that you recommend to use with the Old Timer’s?

Last edited:

RaftRat

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks Scott. And do you have a particular sealer that you recommend?

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Old timers is thin and will readily soak into thirsty dry wood. What makes it thin is the 2 parts mineral spirits. Your thirsty wood will thank you.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Once old timers dries, I painted all my wood with rust oleum above the waterline marine paint. Not entirely necessary, but I like a clean finish.

Wildey

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ahh, good ! Thanks !
Just one soaking app, thought maybe 2 (or more) were required.
Gotcha !

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
If the wood still looked thirsty, I'd probably hit it with a second coat of Old Timer's.