Manually tilting mercruiser?

Grice7

Cadet
Hey everyone, My tilt only works when I attempt to trailer the outdrive. I just bought this boat and would like to take it on a little test drive. Does anyone know if I can manually lower it so I can do this? I have a 1972 Thompson offshore fish with a 165 hp, 250 C.I. engine. i am not sure of the outdrive I have been told it is a alpha 1, or a cobra? Thanks for your help guys!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Manually tilting mercruiser?

that would be a pre alpha mercruiser... cobra was made by omc.... I suspect a mod will soon move this too the i/o section

Your best bet would be to fix it before use... there is no bypass valve and the only way to manually lower it would be to disconnect hoses which will let air into the system....

Grice7

Cadet

Sorry for posting this in the wrong spot. Im new here. Maybe thats why noone answered my last post. Thanks for your help anyway.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

I believe there is a bypass screw somewhere that will allow you to move the outdrive manually once it's opened. I just don't know exactly where it is.

Reposting in the I/O section is probably a good start. That, or place a quick call to any dealer with a shop who might throw you a bone and tell you the process. Good luck!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Sorry for posting this in the wrong spot. Im new here. Maybe thats why noone answered my last post. Thanks for your help anyway.

Maybe you should consider READING your other post..... you have LOTS of replies;)