Mandella's son "Kicks The Bucket"

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer
It was just reported Nelson Mandella's son died in South Africa, of "AIDS". :eek: <br /><br />His son is, (was) in his early 50's.<br /><br />...Bob in Calif...

Andrew Leigh

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mandella's son "Kicks The Bucket"

It's very sad. Nelson Mandela is a true statesman who brokered real peace despite his years of confinement.<br /><br /><br />This son (Makgatho, who's wife died a year ago as well) was one of four children from Nelson Mandela's first marriage to Evelyn Mase, who died in May 2004 at 82. Of the other three children, a daughter died in 1948 before she was a year old, and another son was killed in a car crash in 1969, while Nelson Mandela was in prison for 27 years under apartheid. <br /><br />Don't think it's a pleasant experience to see your kids go before you do.<br /><br />My thoughts and prayers are with him, may he not live to see to last of those 4 children, his daughter, go before he does.

oddjob

Commander

Mandela is a jerk, and its got nothing to do with his color. Publically scoffs at the money the USA gives them for Aids.

D

DJ

There is a tried and proven preventative measure for AIDS. It's called-ABSTENANCE.<br /><br />However, we are not allowed to talk about that.

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

There is a tried and proven preventative measure for AIDS. It's called-ABSTENANCE.<br />
Explain that to the baby thats born with it because the mother is HIV+ and she hasnt had the correct drugs to protect the (child 27% of women giving birth are HIV + (national average)), or the child thats raped (5.6% of 2-14 year olds HIV+). <br /><br />Research a bit you may surprise yourself and find its not all self-inflicted. <br /><br /> http://www.avert.org/safricastats.htm

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

such narcissism,who would've thought :rolleyes:

D

DJ

Explain that to the baby thats born with it because the mother is HIV+ and she hasnt had the correct drugs to protect the (child 27% of women giving birth are HIV + (national average)), or the child thats raped (5.6% of 2-14 year olds HIV+). <br /><br />Research a bit you may surprise yourself and find its not all self-inflicted. <br />
Last time we had a reality check, parents were responsible for their children. The children will suffer for the acts of the parents. It's a never ending cycle until SOMEONE takes responsibility for their actions.<br /><br />I agree, that SOME/FEW are the innocent victims. Yet someones irresponsibilty made them that way.

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

We should care. Everyone should care.<br />Perhaps the purpose of this post was to bring attention to the fact that a high profile South African's son died of this disease. Hopefully some of the stigma can disappear so Africans can better deal with the epidemic. In South Africa 20% of the population has HIV aids, thats 5 Million people, or 600 deaths a day. Most of which still occur in denial because of stigmas.<br /><br />And yes, I'm all for the western societies doing more for poorer nations to provide anti-retroviral drugs.

D

DJ

And yes, I'm all for the western societies doing more for poorer nations to provide anti-retroviral drugs.
I'm not against that. Yet, at the same time, it is giving people a feeling of invincibilty and false hope.<br /><br />There is only one tried and true method of prevention, from sexual contact. That is abstenance. <br /><br />Unfortuneatley, it will never be taught to those people, simply because it is politically incorrect. Not incorrect. POLITICALLY incorrect.

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

DJ-Sexual transmitted disease and HIV/AIDS is a global phenomenon, so is sexual intercourse. I don't see your point.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Im am sitting here in shock that I am in agreance with theriver........wow........There are countries in Africa( and this something Im not sure of but remember hearing) that are like 70% to 80% infected. This is more than people who are not buying into the abstennce thing. There are many 3rd world counties in Africa that people dont read or write or get any info on anything other than what happens in their little village and theres aids there. Im a hardcore Christian and sex out of wedlock is a sin in IMHO but aids is not something anybody deserves. Also look at Aspeck's thread on here about the kind of medical care these people get. I in my heart feel America are the good guys, we should be reaching out to help. 600 deaths per day = more deaths this year by far than the tsunami. If we can help we should. This thread has been a bit derailed and I know very little about mandela so sorry I cant on that.

rudeafrican

Petty Officer 1st Class

As per oddjob's quote: "Mandela is a jerk, and its got nothing to do with his color. Publically scoffs at the money the USA gives them for Aids."<br />------------------------------------------------<br />Sometimes it's best to check one's facts before making rash and false statements like the above. Mandella has never done that, the person you are thinking of is Mbeki, our current president. Mandella is a well respected and well liked statesman, across all racial spheres, here and abroad.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

In my view, Nelson Mandela belongs in the same category as Ghandi and ML King, Jr. A lot of folks called them jerks in their time, too.<br /><br />It is easy for we uninfected folks to view HIV as only resulting from sexual misbehavior. It isn't that simple.

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

rudeafrican,<br /><br />Thanks for your input - it was timely and very well done.

D

DJ

It is easy for we uninfected folks to view HIV as only resulting from sexual misbehavior. It isn't that simple.<br />
JB, with all due respect, it is that simple. <br /><br />True, there are some unfortunate victims that contract the disease through blood transfusions and tainted drug paraphanalia. It is a sexually transmitted disease whether we want to admit it or not. AIDS is not spread like a cold.<br /><br />Educated people have choices as to whether or not they enter into "risky" acticvity. Uneducated people do not. I suspect that Mendella's son was educated.<br /><br />For the uneducated, there is a method that works every time it is tried. However, it is politically incorrect to promote that method, whether there or here. That spreading of misinformation is deadly and criminal, in my book.

aspeck

Staff member

rudeafrican, correct me if my perception is incorrect, but from my visits to SA, it seemed that Mandela, the husband, was the real deal. Mandela, the wife, was a snake in the grass and an evil woman. It was she and her people that instigated most of the violence against blacks.<br /><br />Guess I am in agreement with theriver and M&R. There is more we can do, medically, but there is also more we can do in education, and DJ is right there. Teaching them to wear a condom is not the answer. Around here, on almost every taxi and bus you see several stickers of a van inside a condom with the words, "If it is not on, it is not in. Drive defensively." These are plastered everywhere, but they are not changing the culture. Most cannot afford them anyway.<br /><br />So DJ, you are correct also, they need to be taught abstinence, but we also need to help shoulder the burden that AIDS creates for society as a whole, adn the families of those that are infected.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

DJ your thoughts are right and you are correct in believeing that is the best way but in truth its not realistic. Fact is its allready an issue and quite frankly its not fair that those of us who are not infected and probably wont be are in fact gonna pay for those who are. But the hard truth is life is not fair. Im not talking about welfare or free food for those unwilling to work but whats wrong with humanitarian aid. Another hard fact is many of those infected, if they could go back and change there ways probably wouldnt but nontheless the problem still is here and as far as Im concerned If we sat back and did nothing it would be a shame. Im proud to be an American, because of the great things we do for others.

oddjob

Commander

Sorry Rudeafrican, JB, and Tcube. I'm speaking from facts which I observed over the years. <br /><br />He said it. <br /><br />More than once I believe. <br /><br />I'm definately not going to waste my time researching and presenting the proof to you. You dont want to hear it anyway...just like I dont want to hear that jerk tell the world about how the USA is resposible for the people in Africa dying from Aids.