Mandatory PFDs

Homerr

Commander
Re: Mandatory PFDs

Big brother at it again protecting US from OURSELVES. I would guess the Libs have something to do with it. Sounds like something they would come up with.<br /><br />I would NOT agree to mandatory PFD's.<br /><br />Start handing me tickets, cause I WON'T wear one unless I feel I need to. <br />It's always next to my side where I can touch it.<br /><br /><br />H.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Gotta wonder just how much the big insurance companies lobby our elected officials to push for this kind of crap???...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Good example of how liberals and conservatives view the function of government.<br /><br />This law is an example of liberal thinking: You are not smart enough to reduce risk to the smallest possible level, so we will protect you and save your life by forcing it on you. That way we keep the dumb gene pool alive and well.<br /><br />Conservative thinking: Take the risks you think are fair. Smart genes will reproduce. Eventually there will be only smart (conservative) genes left. :D <br /><br />I've had seat belts in my cars beginning about 1954 and have always used them. They have probably prevented some injuries. <br /><br />I have always had good PFDs aboard, used them when I thought there was some risk and required children to wear them at all times.<br /><br />Intelligent risk acceptance (to self) is liberty and pursuit of happiness in my book.

LubeDude

Admiral

No, Not Mandantory, should be up to the individual. Im for no mandantory anything. Thats why we have a brain, "Some of us anyway".<br /><br />I was in Bass Clubs and fished tournaments in the past, we had to have ours on if the big engine was running, Period. Now, I wear mine When the big engine is running and ask my passengers to do the same, or all the time when fishing at night, even while fishing.<br /><br />If I am out with someone in the ocean, I wear mine when I go over the Bar, or the sea is rough! We just had a bad accident up north where a charter boat capsised and about 10 people lost there lives. They were found without life jackets on. I feel they should have had them on, but I still say it was there choice.

mattttt25

Commander

my thoughts on this...<br /><br />i don't wear a pfd and don't care to wear one. but i also understand that the number one cause of deaths in the boating world is drowning. making everyone wear a pfd would probably cut this number down drastically. so while i wouldn't like it, i think it's probably a good idea. people would complain, but when it became the norm, we would get over it. when canada made it illegal to have alcohol on your boat when underway, all the boaters didn't go away. they complained, got used to it, and now it's not that big a deal.<br /><br />i do think every state should come to an agreement on children- i think under 12 is appropriate. they are kids and should be protected, regardless of whether they want to be.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I propose everybody must wear a life jacket before flushing the toilet,just in case.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I never wear a seat belt when inside a private, gated community. There, the local seat belt laws do not apply. I do wear one everywhere else because it is the law. If they make PFD-wearing a law, I'll sell my boat. Until they can invent a PFD that wears like a tee-shirt----with built-in air conditoning, there will be no boats in tropical waters durring the Summer. That's a prediction based-upon 52 years of Florida boating, and what the male human body can endure.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

yet another case of "acting" like you're really<br />doing something/anything at all for politicians.<br />god forbid they try to tackle a real issue and<br />make a stance... instead they latch onto stupid<br />fringe/meaningless issues that don't effect a big<br />portion of constituancy... WHAT A CROCK!<br />it's the old saying; "try to look busy", but ain't<br />no real work being done IMHO.