Malibu Waterski Open in Milwaukee

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Malibu Open- a waterskiing competition :):):D

I know I am going to watch!

Starts on the Friday the 6th, finals on Saturday.

?We are very excited to have the event come to Milwaukee,? said Kelly Peiffer, Sports Marketing Director for the Milwaukee Convention and Visitors Bureau.

The event will take place over 2 days with qualifying rounds both Friday and Saturday. The finale is scheduled on Saturday night under lights, where jumpers like world record holder, Freddy Krueger will hurl himself over a 6-foot ramp in excess of 220 ft. Slalom skiing is a very technical and exact sport. Add night skiing to this event and the excitement escalates by leaps and bounds. Will Asher, current world champion, and Chris Parrish, current world record holder, will be among the favorites to take home the coveted Malibu Open title.

Malibu Open Schedule
Friday, 8/6

8:00 a.m. Open Women Slalom Round 1 qualifying
10:00 a.m. Open Men Slalom Round 1 qualifying
2:00 p.m. Open Women Slalon Round 2
3:30 p.m. Open Men Jump Round 1 qualifying
5:30 p.m. Free-Style Jump

Saturday, 8/7
10:00 a.m. Open Men Slalom Round 2 qualifying
1:30 p.m. Free Style Jump Competition
2:30 p.m. Open Men Jump Round 2
4:20 p.m. Open Women
5:25 p.m. Open Men Slalom
6:30 p.m. Barefoot Demo
7:00 p.m. Free Style Jump Finals
7:45 p.m. Open Women Final
8:15 p.m. Open Men Final
8:30 p.m. Barefoot Demo
8:50 p.m. Open Men Jump Finals
10:00 p.m. Awards

I have never seen anyone ski in the lagoon, wondering how it will go. The Lagoon is pretty narrow, and shallow. I believe this is a first for Milwaukee:)

It also happens to be right in our beautiful Veterans Park at the lakefront for those who are interested.:)

http://www.theproskitour.com/news/192-malibu-open-milwaukee-august-6-a-7

Last edited:

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Malibu Waterski Open in Milwaukee

Wow I've got to say it sounds like a horrible idea to have it in that lagoon. I'm sure its going to be a sight to behold, got to be a shallow nasty muck bottom on that little thing. Good luck to em honestly.

The lakefront in Milwaukee is nice along lake drive with the bike path and green space but the beaches and water there are dirty compared to the principal beach here in Racine, the sand here is screened every day and the water is crystal clear. I'm 6' and can see my toes clearly standing in 5' of water.
The water is too cold for me tho and I do not regularly partake due to being what some call a "big baby"

We have had jet ski and dragon boat races in the water and volleyball tour on the beach in recent years, neat stuff for some. I miss venetian night which has been gone for a solid 15 years.
I do like the airshow in Milwaukee but sadly missed it this year due.

Autotech

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can't belive your not "par-cip-atating" in such a prestigious event:).

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

the lagoon is half mile long, extremely well protected, can guarantee perfect ski conditions.

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Autotech- I will be par- sippatating - only. These guys/gals are world class!

Went down to check out the warm-ups yesterday, looks like a good venue. Gonna go watch the jumping qualifier the afternoon.

Windsor- I agree, Racine beaches are really nice, but Milwaukee has its nice ones too. I especially like Cliffside down by you. They have done a great job here at Bradford Beach , screening, algea removal, etc. Not too bad at all, but watch out after a heavy rainfall.:eek:

The Lagoon looks like it is overfull by a foot or two, I think they blocked the outflow drain to help this event. They even dredged a bit of it according to my sheriff buddy who patrols this area at the lakefront.

One other thing- I wonder why there is no media coverage here of this event??? Why would the local news outlets not have anyone down there? Conflict with the opening of the State Fair maybe??

I have to say it was weird driving down the road and getting passed by a skier making some really nice turns. :)

Attachments

• malibu warmup.jpg
    malibu warmup.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 0
  • malibu warmup jump.jpg
    malibu warmup jump.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 0
  • getting passed on the road.jpg
    getting passed on the road.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 0

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Cool, i'd love to see something like that.

There's actually some sort of provincial (I think) wakeboarding championships in a nearby small town today. Unfortunately I can't make it.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wish it was on tv, just scanned and can't find it.

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wish it was on tv, just scanned and can't find it.

Heck , even their webcast was not working. Let alone any TV coverage.:(:rolleyes:

I only went for a couple hours, but it sure was fun to watch the long distance jumping and the Womens Slalom. Congrats April!

Freddy sure banged one out, 231 I think. Wow, he was flying...sounded like a flying bat slapping a wall at 200 mph when he came down.

Heard Will Asher won on a re- ride, but still confused:confused:

One of out locals ( team member of Badgerland ) was pulling front gainers off the jump- Slalom! Zoiks! He has a pair. Go Jeremy!

Great effort by all !

p.s.

Here is a link for the not working so well webcast-

http://www.theproskitour.com/news/246-watch-live-webcast-of-malibu-open-aug-7th

Last edited:

WildH2Oskier

Seaman Apprentice

Looking at those pictures that lagoon must have been designed with skiing in mind. Long, straight, with a gently sloping shoreline so the wakes wash up on the shore and don't bounce back. Combine that with ski boats and waves and you had a really nice place.
congrats we have to dig ski lakes around here to get those kinds of conditions.