Making new boat seat cushions

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Making new boat seat cushions

Thanks a lot.... Now you have added a sewing machine to my shopping list :)

Great write up. I really like the white with a red piping.

Just found these on ebay: http://shop.ebay.com/sewinginusa/m....&_odkw=&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3911.c0.m270.l1313

Good work

Thanks.

Those machines are OK, and might work, but they aren't really an industrial machine. I looked at them locally, there is a LOT of plastic inside them. They did look to be tougher than the home models- But I'd be willing to bet that they would have trouble on the thick stuff. But, the price isn't too bad.

blynch35

Cadet

wow another great thread thank you, good advise on getting the wife involved im in that place right now great idea.

andgott

wow another great thread thank you, good advise on getting the wife involved im in that place right now great idea.

Sounds like a plan! Often, it is a great 'bridge' to get the spouse involved.... Especially if they are in to sewing. Trust me, She'll be amazed the first time you drag HER to the fabric store :)

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know an older thread but i thought was very good info here thanks

boykster

Cadet

Great thread - thanks for sharing your awesome write-up. I'm about to embark on reconfiguring the seating on my boat, and I've decided to do the cushions myself. Awesome!

andgott

Thanks. Give it a shot- It's not as hard as may appear. You will save yourself a LOT of money, too- Even if you end up having to buy al the equipment, it's still cheaper than having it done!!

-Andrew

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i have done several interiors.....it really isnt that hard at all....and the end product really changes the boat.

in the future ....when i boats forums are three times the size they are now.....i can see a full upholstery forum

another good thread to look at is mrdflores......he has some good vids as well.....

nice post.

this was started last season......how is the rest of the boat coming?....do you have pics?

bbodin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow! Iv'e been searching all over and - BOOM! Here it is!

andgott

Thanks- BTW, This is the interior that I made for MY boat-

IMG_1410.JPG

And, In the boat-

SmIMG_3295.jpg

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

another great sewing thread (no pun intended)

a couple other tips....
1)epoxy paint or coat the plywood in resin
2)wrap the foam with some plastic (the back side of the vinyl is typically coarse and can wear down the foam, like sandpaper on wood)
3)on the seat bases, drill a couple holes through the plywood for a water passage, should your seats absorb any water, this will help the water find a way out)

andgott

Thanks, They turned out great- Although I haven't even fully installed them all! I got the boat in the water, and have been USING it. I can bolt the seats in when there's snow on the ground ;)

-Andrew

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Andrew,

Where did you get the white sidewall tires???

andgott

Andrew,

Where did you get the white sidewall tires???

You can buy 'em here- http://www.cokertire.com/

Or if you are cheap like me, You can MAKE them :)

I scrubbed the **** out of my new trailer tires, to get any mold residue, etc off them. Then, I masked 'em off, and sprayed them with flat white enamel- The cheap stuff, on the bottom shelf at wally world...

They've lasted almost 2 years- Faded a little, but not too much. I get a lot of compliments about them! It looks even better when I put the chrome Gator baby moon hubcaps on there-

Aftre.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Ok, then That's what I'm gunna do to. Wasn't sure if spray paint would work, but it looks like it will.

Thanks

Outback Jack

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice job on the boat and real good directions on the upholstery with lot's of input from everyone .

One tip I have for everyone is you can pick up a piping foot for your machine for around 7 bucks ...does a real nice job and great for the novice sewer like me.

Jack

andgott

Thanks.

The machine that I use, in addition to being a walking foot, has a built in welting foot. It makes it easy :)

-Andrew

Joker757

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for posting this. The seats came out really nice. I like the colors. Is the windshield and trim original? That is one sweet looking boat.

andgott

Thanks for posting this. The seats came out really nice. I like the colors. Is the windshield and trim original? That is one sweet looking boat.

Thanks!

Yes, The boat is all original- Any missing parts were replaced with vintage parts from donor boats.