Major fiberglass repair

Wodehouse

Cadet
A friends boat washed up on the rocks and he's enlisted me, as someone with plenty of fiberglass experience, to help him repair the boat. The trouble is, most of my glassing has been surfboard work with 4 and 6 ounce cloth.

The boat is a 16' bay-style boat, laid up with a chopper gun. The spine of the vee is split with a half-inch gap for maybe 11 or 12 feet. We'll have to bridge the gap with some substantial cloth, but I don't know how heavy to go. We'll be doing the repair from the outside. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

Attachments

• Stern.jpg
    Stern.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 0
  • From Bow, Looking Aft.jpg
    From Bow, Looking Aft.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Major fiberglass repair

Welcome to iboats.

We have a great restoration and hull repair section where I will move this thread to.

Warn you in advance....... ;) the restoration people will ask for pictures of the damage.

Wodehouse

Cadet

I'm also unsure of how much to sand off for an effective bond. I'm assuming clear through the gelcoat down to the multi-directional fibers.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well I am NOT the resident FG expert but IMHO that repair should NOT be an OUTSIDE ONLY repair. To do it right it should be done from the Inside with MULTIPLE layers of mat and resin. I see NO WAY of doing a proper repair from the OUTSIDE only.

Others with more experience may chime in and over ride me, but that is my opinion.

I'm just sayin...:D

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I am with the previous poster. You need to get to the inside and lay two or three layers of heavy roving across the crack. I recommend you use epoxy resin, and sand the area real well so the epoxy will grip.

If it were me, I would grind and taper the outside to accept multiple pieces of cloth, each layer a bit larger than the previous one. Once I had the outside and inside prepped for repair, I would do the inside and outside repair at the same time, so the repair is monolythic.

The real question is that the repair is extensive (and expensive). Is the rest of the boat in good enough shape to justify the repair? The pictures call that into question.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I agree with Chris!!!

Is it worth $500.00 to $750.00 and 20 - 30 hours of your time? I truly believe you will need to cut the deck to gain access from above and this will add to the cost and the effort. It's your call!

I'm just sayin...:D

Wodehouse

Cadet

Thanks Woodonglass and Chris1956, depressing news but better to know at this stage.

Is the problem repairing from one side only a matter of bonding the patch with the hull? I understand the desirability of coming together from both sides, but I expected that patching could be done from the bottom only.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hello Wodehouse..

Wood is right on about inside and outside layups.

I would suggest getting access to the inside about 18" or better all the way around the crack for glass.. before you start grinding the outside.

Meaning to undeck..yup more then likely.

You can use 1708,mat and regular poly resin for your lams just fine.

Sorry I cant ( wont ) give you more info at this time..but this is a serious repair and will need to be done in stages..one step at a time friend.

YD.

jonesg

Admiral

For what epoxy would cost I could find you another hull that doesn't need repairs. Thats a consideration even if you got the resin free because its going to be a bit of work taking apart and theres no sense reinstalling an old deck.

Who knows what you'll find under the deck, unless it has been rebuilt ?
Probably all shot.

drewpster

Commander

Allot of damage AND at the aft end of the keel? That's got to suck.:(

One good thing is you may be able to get away from removing the whole deck to get in to the inside of the hull. You may be able to only remove those portions that are over the bad spots. Depends on how extensive the damage is.

But I have to agree with the others here. You need to get inside to it right.

It is worse than it seems......Oh! I MEAN... It is not as bad as it seems.

We can fix it, my dad has a cool set of tools. He is a TV repair man.
ok i'll shut up.

enjoy
drewp

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i fix this stuff all the time....it can be done.

first thing.....the repair will cost 1000 bux.....count on it. is the hull worth it?
catually....it is very close to a standard restoration....just a few more steps.

to fix the boat PROPERLY. you need to do an inside out repair.
it can be done from the out side only, HOWEVER i highly suggest that a professional do that type of repair, as the amateur might not realize the bonding /stress issues you will have.

you can do an inside out repair without many worries.

because I DO NOT RECOMMEND an out side only repair.....i will not tell you how to do it.....sorry.

inside out repair........process.

place boat on cradle or supports that will allow you free access to the underside of the hull.

check to see that the hull has not "pulled apart" from each side......the damage in the pics is rare...and i suspect the hull has separated under its own weight in the trailer.
this separation must be addressed before you start glassing.

grind off ALL the gellcoat from strake to strake...(approx 18 ins from keel line.) clean with acetone, wipe with styrene.

using POLY resin....place one layer 12 ins wide of 1.5 csm. followed by a 1708 lay up the same size down the keel...you will be glassing above your head....(do not flip hull)
its messy and hard to do......the glass must be wet out before it will stay in place or "hang on the hull" this is difficult with larger pieces.
....let cure.

now...move to the inside of the boat....gut the hull (deck, foam, just as in any restoration) inspect stringers for rot/damage.>>>>>>>>if damage or rot found.....remove stringers and or transom.
if no damage found....just good ( but wet ) wood. place a large fan/ heater in the hull and dry the stringers.
this will take a week or so minimum.

grind the inner hull fiberglass till you have removed the very top layer of resin. as best you can....get the grinder in the crack and remove the top layer of resin from the layer of fiber glass you have laid from the exterior of the hull.

using a structural peanut butter (use 1/4 inch mini fibres and milled fibres) fill the crack....(dont go crazy here....just remove any air voids.
while wet.....glass in a 1.5 oz csm....then a 1708 the full length of the crack....and then some. make sure you are a minimum of 10 ins away from the crack on either side.

if you have to replace the stringers....now is the time. tab the stringers to the new glass using standard measures and bedding procedures (tab with csm AND 1708). the outer tabbing will further help to glass the hull.

rough and scuff the repair area (inner keel) and using WAXED reisn....lay another csm over the keel and up the sides of the stringers then wile still wet.....another 1708 over the same area.

let cure.......re foam...replace deck.

from under side....( at this time you can flip the hull if you wish...it is a lot of work for 3 layers of glass....but its your call as glassing will be much easier)

grind off the top layer of resin..(rough and scuff) the area that you just did.
lay a full wrap of 1.5 csm from strake to strake followed by the same size of 1708. and a top layer of 1.5 csm (un waxed resin) let cure.

sand flat/ fair as best you can. (dont go crazy here....just get it kinda flat and you want to be close to the glass to avoid pin holes and print thru.

at this time...you can make a peanut butter out of gellcoat and fill any major dips but do not go to thick....just a real thin skin coat....then fair.
next step is to gellcoat the hull.....load the gellcoat on the strakes and keel.....you want to shoot at about 55 thou (use a mil gauge) then you can sand off the orange peel starting with 400 grit and working up to 1500...(dont miss any grits between as the scratches in the gellcoat will show thru.
when knocking down the gellcoat....keep the sanders moving at the same speed over the hull to try and maintain even and flatness.

after 1500....you can use a buffing compound.....
make it shiny.....

then you can replace the motor and re fit the hull with seats ...carpet ect.
good luck

cheers
oops

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

1000 bucks sounds a bit low to me.. .. I digress..

Just keep one thing in mind and thats its going to cost alot of money and Alot of time and talent to do a job like this ( unless your familiar with the tools and materials to some extent ).

If you start this..you really should finish it or your going to loose your ***** in the investment of time and materials. You will end up giving this away for a song basically.

Please dont cheese on the repair and flip the boat to another unsuspecting prospect ( not that You would..but I have seen a plenty of that stuff going on so just had to say it..no disrespect here ).

YD.

PS. Im a pro..and I wouldnt even bother with this repair. The investment is a looser IMHO..

Wodehouse

Cadet

Thanks to everyone for taking the time and effort to reply to our dilemma. I'll discuss it with the owner in light of the posts and let you know his decision. I'm new to this forum and it's surprising the number of informed people willing to take the time to help total strangers. Thanks.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

1000 bucks sounds a bit low to me.. .. I digress..

it is low.....but it depends on the finishing materials the owner selects......AND>>>THAT IS NO LABOR COST.

the resin will be $115
the glass $ 100
gellcoat $ 200 (i saw on the forum comp one sells it in the stated CHEEP...
sand paper $100....the stuff is expencive !
deck and carpet replacement is where the money comes in.

a pro wont touch the repair for under 3500

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

it is low.....but it depends on the finishing materials the owner selects......AND>>>THAT IS NO LABOR COST.

the resin will be $115
the glass $ 100
gellcoat $ 200 (i saw on the forum comp one sells it in the stated CHEEP...
sand paper $100....the stuff is expencive !
deck and carpet replacement is where the money comes in.

a pro wont touch the repair for under 3500

ADD to the list...

Grinding disks,Suits,Gloves,Buckets,MEKP and despensor ( If not supplied),Patch Aid,Tape,Paper,Masking,Acetone,Brushes and rollers,Goggles,Repsorator ( I recommend a 3m full face respo for this ),Rags,Cabosil,Spreaders,8" Soft pad,More Sandpaper etc..

The list goes on..this is just off the top of my head. Add the cost of Just the things I listed and your up a 400-700 bucks ( depending on your sources ).

Lets be conservative and say your Material cost alone is going to be about $1500 .. at $90 bucks an hour@say 60 hours pro = $6900.

$6900 and thats NOT a markup on the materials ! ( Some want to supply you with there Own materials..thats fine..but the Guarantee is LOST when they try to pull that ).

Realisticaly your looking at a Pro job of about $8000-8500 ( this is just a best guess at what Im looking at here from the pics .. without Any other information or exploritory diagnosis ).

Peace out YD.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Id fix it but hey I have a baylinner.OPPS and YD told you right. I just cant stand to junk a boat Heck I still have the truck I started driving in My old 64 Ford f100

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Id fix it but hey I have a baylinner.OPPS and YD told you right. I just cant stand to junk a boat Heck I still have the truck I started driving in My old 64 Ford f100

64 Ford ? .. Is it Red per chance ?? I LOVED my 64 f100.. sweet sweet steel for a dash..gota love it.. .. ... *Looks around..thinking hes in the wrong forum..swiggs beer and slowly walk out backwards*

YD.

PS. PM me about your 64 ford pro..I rember the carb on the dinner table still lol..

PSS. oh..yea..boats ..... now I remember ;) .

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Burgundy started life a 292 with three on the tree. Swapped it to a 351c fmx also on the tree.

why not bend some metal over the entire crack and overlap it about 6 inchs on each side/Then apply a good layer of all weather adhesive to the metal and the boat and hold it in place with plenty of marine pop rivets....The metal would give it extra strength for the next hard landing too.. Sounds like a cheap fix to me .