Maintenance questions on 1989 Evinrude 48

mkiv808

Cadet
I just bought this boat and am doing some routine maintenance on it.

I'm a little confused by the vent screws on this motor. I took out the oil plug - some oil came out - then I unscrewed what appears to be a vent screw that's diagonal to the oil plug (when the motor is fully upright). When I took that out, plenty of oil came out of it. I filled the pan with about 1/3-1/2 a quart.

As you can see in the pic, there's also a larger screw (silver - flathead) further up. But it's so stripped I can't remove it.

Am I OK to change the oil using just the 2 screws I removed?

Sorry about the awful photo, iPhone 3g doesn't like low light. :facepalm:

I highlighted the 3 screws. 2 on bottom I've removed, mystery one up top that is totally stripped and I can't get to budge.

evinrude.JPG

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Need quick help on 1989 Evinrude 48, changing gear oil

Picture is fuzzy, but if you removed a Phillips head screw, you might be in trouble. The Phillips head screw is the pivot screw for your shift linkage and will usually let the shift linkage fall down when removed.
The proper way to do it is to remove the large slotted screw on the bottom of the gear casee and then the same type screw at the cavation plate and let the lower unit drain. Install new gasket washers on the screws, fill from the bottom fill hole until it comes out the upper vent screw. Install the top screw, it will form a suction in the gear case allowing you to install the lower screw without loosing much oil.

mkiv808

Cadet

Picture is fuzzy, but if you removed a Phillips head screw, you might be in trouble. The Phillips head screw is the pivot screw for your shift linkage and will usually let the shift linkage fall down when removed.
The proper way to do it is to remove the large slotted screw on the bottom of the gear casee and then the same type screw at the cavation plate and let the lower unit drain. Install new gasket washers on the screws, fill from the bottom fill hole until it comes out the upper vent screw. Install the top screw, it will form a suction in the gear case allowing you to install the lower screw without loosing much oil.
Oh shoot, I removed 2 Philips head screws. D'oh! New to outboards, but not mechanical stuff in general. Watched some videos on changing lower unit oil, but couldn't find anything specific to this motor. Good thing I stumbled upon this forum.

What kind of trouble?

Edit: Read a couple things, looks like I'm in for some work. :facepalm:

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Take a look:
#6 & 10, upper and lower drain and fill screws, sorry uses o-rings not gasket washers.
#3, retaining screw for oil seal, should be able to just reinstall this one, o-ring OK?
#55, this might be a tough one, it goes into #12 and acts as a pivot for the shift linkage.
If you are really lucky nothing moved inside the gearcase and you can reinsert the screw, if it moved you might be able to use a pointed scribe and try to realign it to insert the screw.
http://www.ishopmarine.com/ishop/js...CatFilter=BRP&eCatSupFldr=supplier-100-005-EJ

mkiv808

Cadet

I think the screw went back in fine. Does that mean I'm in the clear?

Btw, I didn't see an o-ring on either #3 or #55 when I had taken them out!

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Look at the back side of the screw, see something black? It is possible it fell off and you didn;t know it. It also could be still on lower case. You can check to see if pivot screw is ok. Shifter in neutral, will prop spin? yes is good. shifter in forward, will prop spin? no is good. now shift to reverse. does prop spin? no is good. shifter in neutral. does prop spin? yes is good! you should be ok at this point. Post back your results.

mkiv808

Cadet

Look at the back side of the screw, see something black? It is possible it fell off and you didn;t know it. It also could be still on lower case. You can check to see if pivot screw is ok. Shifter in neutral, will prop spin? yes is good. shifter in forward, will prop spin? no is good. now shift to reverse. does prop spin? no is good. shifter in neutral. does prop spin? yes is good! you should be ok at this point. Post back your results.
I will check it out! Really appreciate the help.

Very helpful forum, I'm sure I'll be coming here often.

Btw - outboard runs well, but I would love to do some preventative maintenance. Previous owner did a tune-up 3 years ago and winterized every winter, but that's about it.

I've read:

- Lubing propeller, replacing pin?
- Replacing impeller, or possibly the entire water pump assembly?

That stuff worth it? Anything else?

Appreciate it! :)

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A new set of plugs wouldn't hurt. A new impeller should be replaced every season. Carb/s should be cleaned or if needed overhauled every season as well. The oil and moisture from sitting over winter can be an issue if not properly winterized. The impeller is just basically made of rubber with a brass insert. Just like the tires on your auto, they wear out or get hard and start to crack sending garbage up in to the head/s and can plug water system up causing overheating and possible engine damage. You stated that you changed your lower unit oil. After two or three times out, remove lower drain/fill plug and check for water. If anything but clear gear oil comes out, you have developed a water intrusion. Check behind the prop for fishing line also. It can wreak havoc on seal/s. If you should encounter this, Unwind the line, don't just rip it off, it can cut the seal/s causing you problems. Welcome to iboats and if you should need any answer to questions you might have, feel free to chime in and let us know! Good luck on this new journey that your about to embark on!

mkiv808

Cadet

A new set of plugs wouldn't hurt. A new impeller should be replaced every season. Carb/s should be cleaned or if needed overhauled every season as well. The oil and moisture from sitting over winter can be an issue if not properly winterized. The impeller is just basically made of rubber with a brass insert. Just like the tires on your auto, they wear out or get hard and start to crack sending garbage up in to the head/s and can plug water system up causing overheating and possible engine damage. You stated that you changed your lower unit oil. After two or three times out, remove lower drain/fill plug and check for water. If anything but clear gear oil comes out, you have developed a water intrusion. Check behind the prop for fishing line also. It can wreak havoc on seal/s. If you should encounter this, Unwind the line, don't just rip it off, it can cut the seal/s causing you problems. Welcome to iboats and if you should need any answer to questions you might have, feel free to chime in and let us know! Good luck on this new journey that your about to embark on!
Thanks! I'm going to order some parts today from the iShopMarine link above.

I have one question about the 2 oil plugs:

I've read that some people will replace them with newer versions. Instead of flathead, new plugs/screws are allen wrench - and newer synthetic gaskets. I would think that would be an improvement to what it has now, since it would be easier to remove with the allen wrench and the synthetic gasket should seal better.

Is that something I can buy for my Evinrude? If so, what should I be looking for and where?

Thanks again!

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sure, parts is parts. I would definitely change drain/fill plugs! As long as the impeller housing is in good shape you should be ok.

mkiv808

Cadet
Re: Maintenance questions on 1989 Evinrude 48

So are the oil plugs standardized in size across different manufactures, just Evinrude or not at all?

I guess I'll stop by West Marine on the way home...

mkiv808

Cadet

The shifter doesn't budge. :confused:

mkiv808

Cadet

Bump. :)

mkiv808

Cadet

Any thoughts?

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

the Phillips head screw you removed, is it back in the right location? If so, the clutch dog maybe out of place. You will have to get into gear box and see what the issue is. Post back

mkiv808

Cadet

the Phillips head screw you removed, is it back in the right location? If so, the clutch dog maybe out of place. You will have to get into gear box and see what the issue is. Post back
Yeah, it's back where it was and the shifter won't budge. Kind of nervous to take it apart as I haven't done any real work on it before. How long do you think it would take a shop to fix it and replace the impeller? I plan on learning how to do the impeller myself at some point, but this gear box issue might be beyond my comfort level at the moment.

mkiv808

Cadet

Also, I lubed the prop with marine grease and it's much smoother now. There was no fishing line behind it, so that's good. Replaced the pin too.

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ok well I recommend that you get a repair manual for you model and not a owners manual. Good luck and pot back if you have any other questions.

mkiv808

Cadet

Question: if I take apart to check this issue, do I have to drain the oil, or is that separate?