Lund V-15 Caliente Restoration, well mostly repair!

kbd635

Seaman Apprentice
Hi Guys,
I just thought I'd post my project on here and see if you have any advice.
I bought a 1984 Lund V-15 Caliente (at least I think thats what it is! :)), with a 1976 Mercury 500 50Hp 2-stroke.
My intention is to turn it into a lake fishing boat, so it's not technically a restoration, but I want it to last for a long time, so will be doing it right!
I think I'll be painting it, since I've tried buffing down and polishing the gelcoat, but (a) it's very badly etched and (b) there are a lot of screw holes from the old snap clips from a previous cover. the top will be white, but I'm not sure what colour underneath... (maybe a dark red?) suggestions are always welcome!
iboats1.jpg
iboats5.jpg
I got it for cheap, so I wasn't expecting miracles, but when I started stripping it down, I realised it wasn't a project boat, it was a PROJECT boat!
I was assured that the hull repair had been done immediately after it was damaged, but I guess I have a different definition of "immediate".
iboats3.jpg
I knew the floor and stringers were shot, but when I was removing them, I noticed a "springy" point on the inside of the hull.... UHOH! :-(
iboats4.jpg
SO, I started to remove little bits of the inside FG at a time and lo and behold, the 80% of the hull core is rotten and crumbling. Obviously the hull had been leaking for quite some time!
iboats6.jpg
I'm still stripping down at the moment and my buddy is coming tonight to lend some muscle to remove the engine and the top half, so I can get better access to the rot.
BEWARE! I have never repaired a boat before (repaired a lot of FB on sportsbikes that I've came off of), so I WILL be asking for a lot of advice.
Any comments would be appreciated!
Kenny

kbd635

Seaman Apprentice
Slow Demo! Darned Balsa!

Slow Demo! Darned Balsa!

Just thought I'd update this post!
I have stripped all of the rotten and wet Balsa, Just like post #95 on Trooper 82's 78 Ebko Lebaron here http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=524704&page=4 , what should I replace with?
I have some 3/8" exterior ply I could cut and shape to the hull the CSM and PB it in, but other posts just say to drop a couple of layers of fibreglass and it should be good.
What is the concensus here?
I'd like it to be safe and strong.....
The weather has been very wet, but I'll post more up to date pics, when I get a break in the rain!

Thanks for any input!
Kenny

kbd635

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Slow Demo! Darned Balsa!

Re: Slow Demo! Darned Balsa!

Well it was dry this morning, so I thought I'd take some progress pics...
The hull with the rotten and wet wood removed. It's strange how some blocks are perfectly good and the rot seems to "wick" up and over???.
IMAG0059.jpgIMAG0056.jpg
The Transom... Note the big stress / wear crack where the motor was mounted. I'm thinking of putting a layer of CSM inside before I replace the Transom wood, just for my own peace of mind and I will be filling the crack with short strand PB...before putting on a metal bulkhead plate (inside and out).... your thoughts?
IMAG0061.jpgIMAG0060.jpgIMAG0059.jpgIMAG0056.jpgView attachment 152489

kbd635

Seaman Apprentice
More pics...

More pics...

More pics...
The transom! note that one panel from the bottom of the sump area was rotted through, but the other one was intact and LOADED with layers of fibreglass (so much so that it refuses to come off, and is dry). I know some will say it can't be, but it really is!I don't know why, but it is!
IMAG0054.jpgIMAG0053.jpg

And here is the bow!
I'm thinking of making the stringers slightly higher and using the ridge left from the old floor removal to place the new floor on. Obviously, I'll strip it and rough it so I can attach and seal the floor with CSM. Other than the obvious height issue, is there anything I should consider before doing this?
IMAG0051.jpg

I'm beginning to think this project might not be worth it or that I'm in over my head, but I'm too emotionally invested to quit now! :facepalm:

Any views or advice would be VERY welcome!

Kenny

kbd635

Seaman Apprentice
Re: More pics...

Re: More pics...

Maybe posting these pictures from my new photobucket account would be better?

IMAG0054.jpg

IMAG0053.jpg

IMAG0051.jpg

IMAG0061.jpg

020.jpg

I THINK it is a 1984 model (from the ID #, but the model I think it is was made in '78, same as the engine)..... Any ideas?
Thanks
KBD

I don't want to keep going blind so some advice and opinions (good or bad) would be very much appreciated?

kbd635

Seaman Apprentice
Transom is in!

Transom is in!

Well, time for a small update.
Sorry, but I was so focused on working, I didn't take any inprocess pics!
I cut 3/4" ply to rouch dimensions, stuck them together with Gorrilla Glue and clamped them using 2"x4"s with threaded bar and nut design.
I used cardboard to make a template for the transom wood, double checked it, then taped it to the now 1 1/2" ply and cut round it. I then rounded the corners off so it would fit in the curves of the transom skin filleting. Then, once I had coated it with resing and smoothed it down, I placed it in situ. Amazingly, it fitted like a glove!
I had intentionally cut it a little short (height-wise), so I could put a layer of PB on the top, to seal it for life! lol
once filleted and glassed in with 3 layers, it looked like this. (I know I have a few airbubles on the last layer, which I did sand out!)
Transom-1.jpg

Beforegrinding.jpg

I still have to finish off the edge as you can see, but it is solid and should hopefully keep the water out and the engine on! :)
I had a little resin left, so I tried my first attempt at laying FG onto the hull. Apart from a couple of bubbles which appeared overnight, I was pretty pleased with the outcome.
Filetandfirstlayer.jpg

I also put a strip of FG matt in the keel, from transom to bow, just to strengthen and thicken the centre. I'm not intending to be beaching it much, but I intend to put a keel gueard on the outside as well.
This boat will have foam, so 3 layers of FG on the hull should be OK right?
I have since put the lid back on so the hull won't be warped when I do the rest of the FG on the hull.

As always, suggestions or constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated!
KBD

Attachments

• Transom.jpg
    Transom.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Before grinding.jpg
    Before grinding.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 0
  • Filet and first layer.jpg
    Filet and first layer.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 0