Lunar Eclipse Saturday

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander
LUNAR ECLIPSE: Set aside some time this weekend for sky watching. On Saturday night, March 3rd,
there's going to be a total lunar eclipse.

Here in the United States, you have to be in the eastern half of the country to witness totality.
At the end of the day on Saturday, go outside and face east. As the sun sets behind your back,
a red Moon will rise before your eyes--fantastic! Maximum eclipse is at 6:21 p.m. EST.
More info:
http://spaceweather.com/

Plainsman

Rear Admiral
Re: Lunar Eclipse Saturday

Thanks bassy, I won't get a total eclipse, but it will be cool to see.

crunch

Commander

We got a total 6 or 7 years ago here on the left coast. Skies were clear, moon was low, and atmospherics made the moon look 5 times bigger than normal. Jupiter and Venus where right off to the left of the moon and their colors could be seen clearly.... the most awesome thing I've ever seen.... I just pulled my truck off the road and watched until it was over.

heycods

Captain

Im never in the right place at the right time.

OldMercsRule

Captain

crunch said:
We got a total 6 or 7 years ago here on the left coast. Skies were clear, moon was low, and atmospherics made the moon look 5 times bigger than normal. Jupiter and Venus where right off to the left of the moon and their colors could be seen clearly.... the most awesome thing I've ever seen.... I just pulled my truck off the road and watched until it was over.

Yep I remember that too! great stuff. JR

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Thanks Bassy. I'll be out on the water fishing tomorrow night. I'll take some pics.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Reel said:
Thanks Bassy. I'll be out on the water fishing tomorrow night. I'll take some pics.

Oh, that would be great! Please share them with us. I'll be outside tomorrow in case there is a bit of something to see, but you people on the east coast are really supposed to get a show. Describe it for us, so we can know what it was like. I think this kinda stuff is real cool!
Happy Eclipsing!
Bassy

QC

Supreme Mariner

LOL @ codboy . . .

Thanks Bassy, I really appreciate the Astronomical forecasts 8) Good news here is it's clear as a honkin' bell today and we have a Little League game at sunset, should be waaay cool even without the totality. Thanks again.

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

Looks like I'm going to have a fantastic view of this eclipse as the moon is right in the middle of my office window. I'll try and get some photos for you.

QC

Supreme Mariner

This one was in 2004. Found it on Wikipedia . . .

400px-Lunar-eclipse-2004.jpg

jimlad

Chief Petty Officer

thats pretty neat QC we got some mist here but we can see the moon

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

The moon went into total eclipse about 10min ago, it hasn't turned red yet, maybe a very slight orange glow to it.

jimlad

Chief Petty Officer

:'( we cant see here now a load of cloud has come over.

JRJ

Commander

6:23 local time. The moon has risen here, just north of Mt. Lassen. It is full with an amber haze surrounding it. Very pretty.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here it is about 60%, from The Hideout at about 6:45PM CST.

watermark.php

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

We had very clear skys so the was no red color.

Picture012.jpg

Picture015.jpg

Picture018-1.jpg

Picture019-1.jpg

Picture020.jpg

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Oh yeah!! Now that's way cool! Thanks JB and Reel Poor. Now that's pretty!! Thanks to you all for describing it. Here we have a very pretty white, clear moon. Beautiful night, just no eclipse.
Bassy