Lowrance Transducer Cracked

FluffyChicken

Petty Officer 2nd Class
IMG_2571.jpegIMG_2569.jpegUnfortunately the boat came cracked like this. Bracket is also snapped a bit needs replaced. Is this outer cracked shell just a shell and the unit inside is sealed? It was definitely working last time I used it just curious if it should be replaced??

Thanks

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
View attachment 398089View attachment 398090Unfortunately the boat came cracked like this. Bracket is also snapped a bit needs replaced. Is this outer cracked shell just a shell and the unit inside is sealed? It was definitely working last time I used it just curious if it should be replaced??

Thanks
It’s shell in shell construction but once compromised the end is near..;)

FluffyChicken

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It’s shell in shell construction but once compromised the end is near..;)
Could I use my plastic welder and or melting tip on plastic stapler and close the gap? Or will this throw off the accuracy of the sonar?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Could I use my plastic welder and or melting tip on plastic stapler and close the gap? Or will this throw off the accuracy of the sonar?
Sonar transducers are not "accurate", per say. Far too many variables come in play for any type of accuracy spec.

Sonar transducer are primarily designed and rated for their ability (sensitivity) to detect the minute differences in density. This ability enables them to detect and "paint a picture" of the objects in the water column below......aka fish finder. Unless you do a side by side comparison with a known good unit, you'll have no idea if, or how badly, the unit is compromised.

I suspect the transducer is toast performance wise, but if all your looking for is a depth, it may suffice your needs.....for a while.

FluffyChicken

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sonar transducers are not "accurate", per say. Far too many variables come in play for any type of accuracy spec.

Sonar transducer are primarily designed and rated for their ability (sensitivity) to detect the minute differences in density. This ability enables them to detect and "paint a picture" of the objects in the water column below......aka fish finder. Unless you do a side by side comparison with a known good unit, you'll have no idea if, or how badly, the unit is compromised.

I suspect the transducer is toast performance wise, but if all your looking for is a depth, it may suffice your needs.....for a while.
Thank you