Lower unit oil

Ronniewhite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I changed my lower unit oil today but the oil I had was multi purpose and there wasn't enough to fill it all the way I don't think they have it at Canadian tire anymore. What kind should I get. It's a 2000 25hp 3cylinder Johnson.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
Canadian Tire has their brand... don't know what multi-purpose oil is but just use the proper gearcase oils which have ..apparently special components to tolerate small water intrusions.

Ronniewhite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Canadian Tire has their brand... don't know what multi-purpose oil is but just use the proper gearcase oils which have ..apparently special components to tolerate small water intrusions.
It was this but I don't think they sell it anymore. I got the motomaster stuff, wow $26 for a ltr. I think I paid $12.99 a couple yrs ago for the other stuff. Maybe 3yrs but still that's crazy. 16892967106775940491579699085102.jpg

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
yep... price went up....OEM is even more $$$$

5 gals of skying gas... was $2.50 .... now 25L is $40 thankfully I don't water waterski anymore at 73 :) both my back and my wallet would break

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The Robber Barons have been increasing their Gouging a lot lately. I would like to see an Excessive Profit Tax of 150%

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Back in 1960 we lived in a rental farmhouse at $75 / month.----Today folks pay $1500 / month or more.----So oil at those prices is just the way of the world today !

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It was this but I don't think they sell it anymore. I got the motomaster stuff, wow $26 for a ltr. I think I paid $12.99 a couple yrs ago for the other stuff. Maybe 3yrs but still that's crazy. View attachment 384471
I just changed the gear oil in the differential of my F150 and paid $33 a liter and I needed 3 liters! $100 bucks worth of oil. The worst part is I'm putting her in the shop tomorrow for a noise that I'm thinking is a pinion bearing. They will dump all that oil and charge me another $100 for new oil again!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
tell them to save it and reuse it !
If a Bearing is in the Process of self Destructing, the Oil will be loaded with pieces of that destruction, and is likely unusable. Every Bearing in that Axle Housing should be replaced, cause when one goes, it takes others with it, maybe not right away but shortly after. I hate Differentials and everything with Hypoid Gears

airshot

Rear Admiral
I use the walmart brand ( in my area made by Valvoline) full synthetic 75/140 differential lube. Meets all marine and vehicle specs....been using this stuff for over 20 years in my I/O, my outboards, my side x side diffs, snoblower gear box, roto tiller gear box and never an issue. Neighbor uses it in his old car collection vehicles with no issues. I pulled my diff apart to replace a seal and no sign if any wear after 5 years and 75000 miles. The Lucas stuff us also good, but I prefer synthetic.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Does it meet GL-5 Spec? If not, it can't be used in a lot of VP Drives

Ronniewhite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Back in 1960 we lived in a rental farmhouse at $75 / month.----Today folks pay $1500 / month or more.----So oil at those prices is just the way of the world today !
1500 here in Perth Ontario might get you a dump basement bachelor apartment. It's absolutely ridiculous

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
side issue here ... but some of you may recall $20/month phone bills.... and complaints against the main Telco for their " local service subsidizing" high long distance rates enough to break up AT&T in the 70's Today the whole family runs around with thousand dollar phones plus network fees, drinking 4-5$ coffees, and 100+ TV channels, dumping enough food in the garbage more than enough to feed cities in Europe and Africa, washing down the Land rover or Ford 250 pulling the fifth wheel for 2 weeks of camping 500 miles away at 10 miles a gallon with millenias just waiting for mom and pop to download their heritance dead or alive !