Lower Unit Leaking - 73 Evinrude 85HP

RDJuhl

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi
I have a 1973 Evinrude 85HP, Model 85393M

Last fall, I changed the lower unit oil, fogged the engine, then tilted the motor up (using the transom saver) for indoor winter storage. I just got the boat out of storage, and was doing some prep to get it started this spring.

I removed the transom saver and lowered the motor as I checked for strong spark, changed plugs, etc.

Then I noticed about 1/8 cup of lower unit grease/oil coming out of the lower unit by the propeller. (It was not leaking at the drain or fill plug)

What is your guess...is there a seal in front of the propeller that can be changed to fix this...or does this require a major tear down of the lower unit?

Thanks for any advice.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Lower Unit Leaking - 73 Evinrude 85HP

Does it gas smell to it?
Have you checked the lower unit oil, is it low?
Almost sounds like gas/fogging oil mixture that drained down from the exhaust system while in storage.

RDJuhl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Daviet for the reply.
No gas smell. It has the same appearance as the lower unit oil I used last fall. The fogging oil was in a spray can...this oil was too thick for that. I am pretty sure it is the lower unit oil. I will get the motor started in a day or two and check to see if more oil shows up.

RDJuhl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Cap'n Chaos. I see two "oil retainers" - Part number 0310600
Further back, I also see a "O-Ring Propeller Shaft" part number 0313446
Are these the parts I need to replace?

Rudemen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just behind the Propeller and Thrust Bushing there are two seals in the Bearing housing that may be leaking, remove the propeller and leave it off, clean everything up and give it a lil more time to make sure the leak is from the seals if it is leaking both seals will need to be changed by pulling the bearing housing out, there is two Retaining rings that will need to be removed in order to remove Bearing Housing making sure the Propeller Shaft stays in the lower unit we don't want the prop shaft to move at all just the Bearing Housing. Then knock out both seals on propeller side of bearing housing and I think there is an O-ring on the other outer side of the B.H. Hope this helps!!!

Cap'n Chaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Daviet had a good suggestion... it could be a simple as that... before you go tearing into your gearcase make sure the problem is really the gearcase.