Lower Unit Johnson

Jmanff

Recruit
Hi All,

Looking for a bit of mechanical help here. I have an older (1994) Johnson 48 hp outboard with a bad gear case (an outboard mechanic shop diagnosed the problem). The model number for the motor is J48ESLERD. A new lower unit is about $2300 and used ones are going for about $2100 on eBay. Are there any other models or manufactures of lower units that are compatible and cheaper? I can't see sinking that much money in a 94 model motor.
Should I just look into purchasing another outboard motor?
Please give me your thoughts/experiences/recommendations, keeping in mind that I am not a mechanic.

Josh

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
And what is Wrong with the Old one? If People are paying almost what a New one costs, when buying used, they really aren't too swift

racerone

Supreme Mariner
These units typically strip teeth off the gears.-----That new price is aftermarket ( chinesium parts ) I think .-----New from factory was a lot more when available.-----These lower units are not robust in my opinion.------A lower unit from 93 and newer fits.-----From 40 / 48 / 50 HP 2 cylinder models.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I think SEI supplies the lower unit for Sierra brand, but not sure.----Sierra lists at about $2400 I think.

Jmanff

Recruit
These units typically strip teeth off the gears.-----That new price is aftermarket ( chinesium parts ) I think .-----New from factory was a lot more when available.-----These lower units are not robust in my opinion.------A lower unit from 93 and newer fits.-----From 40 / 48 / 50 HP 2 cylinder models.

Hi Racerone,

Are the 93 and newer 40 / 48 / 50 HP 2 cylinder models any good, or do these strip the teeth too?