Lower Unit Fluid Change

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lower Unit Fluid Change

john11<br />sounds like your speedo pickup tube. and most units have small holes for water drains near the leading edge. be carful with that epoxy so you dont create a problem.<br /> if your having water intrusion issues post a new topic and include the engine size,make and year.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I agree with rodbolt. Maybe a pessure test of the lower unit is in order. Somewhere I saw on this site a method of doing it yourself (and an acceptible leak rate) with a minimum of expense. Think I would do that and fail it before I went around plugging holes.<br /><br />My 2c.<br /><br />Mark

aquaholictwo

Cadet

i have the merc guy coming to look at it.the hole is like a notch,and its right on the leading edge.thanks guys ill keep yer up 2 date.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by john11:<br /> i have the merc guy coming to look at it.the hole is like a notch,and its right on the leading edge.
Thats your speedo pick up hole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

MercFan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bassin'... Just out of interest sake... Is there a rubber tube on the inside that runs to your speedo? If that popped off for some reason, would that hole be entry directly into the gear case?<br /><br />Lets say an aftermarket speedo pick-up was fitted and the oem pickup was never blanked off?