low oil pressure

dishwillow

Seaman Apprentice
Had the boat out this weekend and noticed my oil pressure has dropped to below 20psi. fluctated some and hoovered sometimes in the 10psi range. My engine is a VP 3.0 GSM-C.

i did feel what appears to be some leakage on the underside of the oil filter -- i say this as i haven't had time to fully confirm, yet. if this is the case, i would assume the filter is possibly stopped up. my secondary thoug hts would be a faulty gauge or sending unit.

the oil level was at the full mark on the dipstick. it did not appear to be milky.

for reference, i changed the oil and filter in October when I winterized the boat. Until this weekend, I had only ran the boat very briefly -- 30-45 mins tops -- after reassembling the drive from changing the u-joints and gimbal.

does it appear i am on the right track? any further tests/checks i should perform?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: low oil pressure

Did you check the oil level on your dipstick after getting the low oil pressure ?

dishwillow

Seaman Apprentice

i checked the oil level, both before putting the boat in the water and after getting the low oil pressure reading.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i checked the oil level, both before putting the boat in the water and after getting the low oil pressure reading.

Assuming that means that when you checked it, that it was OK, then I would suggest you get a mechanical oil pressure gauge and hook it up to the engine and start it and verify the oil pressure is actually low, and not just a sender, gauge, wiring problem.

dishwillow

Seaman Apprentice

Don - Once again, many thanks for your knowledge. I changed the oil filter last night and the pressure reading went back up. Will probably still get a gauge to double check the sender.