Low Carb diet.. Who is on one???

18rabbit

Captain
Re: Low Carb diet.. Who is on one???

I slammed the LDC and slightly hiked the HDC just by eating an oatmeal breakfast everyday. Total difference is significant. I like the pin oats (aka steel cut oats) better than that rolled oat mush.<br /><br />Disclaimer: Everyone’s metabolism is different…your actual LDC may vary. :)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Some of you know I have had 3 MIs and went for many years eating about 2,000 calories a day just in #$%^&* prescription drugs. No fat, no cholesterol, nothing that tasted good at all. :mad: LDL in the mid 200s. :eek: <br /><br />My doc passed on (from a massive MI) and I got a new doc. . . country girl about 30. . .a couple of years ago.<br /><br />She doesn't like prescription drugs (I may adopt her). I still take 75mg of aspirin and 25mg of Atenolol a day. <br /><br />She has me eat all of the red meat, eggs and sausage I want, plenty of veggies (LOVE broccoli), fish several times a week. Rice, potatoes and corn don't count as veggies.<br /><br />Never liked sugar or sugary stuff, even prefer my chocolate dark and bitter. Aspartame my coffee.<br /><br />Whole wheat waffles only, with all the butter and honey I want on it. No bread.<br /><br />No grits, potatoes, rice, baked goods or other heavy starches except when eating out. At my suggestion, she added no okra, stewed tomatoes, lima beans, cooked summer squash or zucchini (sp?). :) <br /><br />Tried to get her to put liver and onions on the good list. No luck. :( <br /><br />Still walk a couple of miles a day.<br /><br />Lost 10 pounds, to 165. I am 6'.<br /><br />Total lipids are now in the 160-170 range, HDL waaay up, LDL down. :D <br /><br />Don't know if you would call this a diet. I don't, I just call it my new eating habits.

no zukes? I wonder why, the carb load is low on those, they are good for you, yellow (summer squash is a moderate carb load, shouldnt have it too often, but if ya like it and it works for ya JB, more power to ya!<br /><br />John is dead on the money with the sugar deal, taters are bad news If I have a tater its when Im out, its only half of it and its with cottage cheese on it, I have the other half two days later, with the rest of the cottage cheese on it. <br /><br />The best thing of all, Im not hungry, Im getting plenty of healthy carbs and the weight is vanishing, its a good thing<br /><br />The Insulin Resistance Diet is a good one too, but JB makes an OUTSTANDING point in that this isnt a diet, its a way of eating, its a way of life<br /><br />Atkins is good for a fast fix, but that much animal fat is bad for the ticker, and you have to eat a lot of cals to get full.<br /><br />Eat three hundred calories of bacon<br /><br />gone in a minute<br /><br />do the same with brocoli<br /><br />or cauliflower, turnips, spinach, zuchini, cucumber, green pepper, red pepper, any of the non starchy vegetables are great for you, and they fill you up<br /><br />and they are loaded with fiber, so those nasty MI episodes dont occur<br /><br />I do my first weigh in march 7<br /><br />Very curious to see the amount lost<br /><br /> :D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, CF.<br /><br />The okra, zuke, squash, stewed tomatoes and limas were a sort of joke. I never did eat that stuff and I aint gonna. :D

fishhunter911

Petty Officer 2nd Class

AHHHH!!!!!! IT HAPPENED!!!! well had my first MI at age 28, as minor as it was it scared the heck out of me, spent 2 days in the hospital, now comes the fun part.... TESTS TESTS and oh yeh more TESTS!!!!!!! so much for the low carb diet!!!

LadyFish

Admiral

Whats an MI? Minor Infraction? I low carbed for 2 years and never had one.

LubeDude

Admiral

Im on it now, I have to admit to wanting sugar and carbs, been on it for two months and lost a little over twenty #s. Its tough to stay on as your body goes through periods of not wanting to let go of the weight, makes you want to stop and say what the heck, but if you stay with it the weight will come off. I have about 35#s left to go, and intend to go on a modified carb diet when I get to my ideal weight. Splenda is the best sweetener, you can make whipped cream with it and put it on sugar free jello for a treat.

11 footer

Lieutenant

Staying actuve is the most important thing. At my age size weaght isn't an issue, at 5'6 123<br /><br />My diet consites of all the meat I can get my hands on. ;) I eat a lot of pasta, too.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

My low carb diet......6 pack of Bud Light Longnecks. :D :D :D

Bored To Tears

Seaman Apprentice

Fish hunter, sorry to hear about the MI<br /><br />be thankful you arent dead<br /><br />and listen to me<br /><br />South Beach isnt a diet<br /><br />its a way to live, and its a healthy way to eat<br /><br />the man that designed it is a world famous cardiologist<br /><br />GOOD carbs<br /><br />GOOD fats<br /><br />in moderate amounts!<br /><br />the thing is, you bear with it, and you dont crave those taboo items<br /><br />it works, and its healthy<br /><br />get the book, cheaper than a tank of gas<br /><br />and it will last a he11 of a lot lot longer!

LadyFish

Admiral

fishunter I had to ask around what MI was. Sorry to hear it. The South Beach diet is much, much safer. Good luck and take care of yourself.

oddjob

Commander

Be creative! Cauliflower and turnips are both wonderful steamed til mushy, (no light steam here) a little fat free half and half and some butter spray, pepper and garlic, mash or whip til you have mashed taters, tastes a LOT like mashed taters too!<br />
I crave turnips and califlower, but I didn't know what to do with them, thanks!<br /><br />That sounds like a great sub. for mash taters! <br />I'm not using the South Beach protocol cause I'm bias against what may sound like a fad and specifically South Beach :D . I see here I was wrong of course.<br /><br />However, I try to refrain from salt, butter,white bread, beer :mad: ,potatoes :mad: ,cheese :mad: pork fat, or any fat. <br /><br />What about white or brown bean and cornbread? I cant live without them...<br /><br />Also, I add minced red and green pepper, minced whole tomatoes garlic and onions to all soups, red sauces and stews in what I cook. <br />I have to mince it or the kids will reconize it as a veggie and protest. <br />I added a cup of minced carrots to the chili sauce last week and they would'nt eat it because the sauce looked orange. <br /><br />They love venison too, they just dont know it :cool: ..<br /><br />I notice a difference in how I feel and look when I eat right. Eternal heatburn sets in if I misbehave to much. Funny how the only way for me to kill the heartburn is to eat a fresh salad with lemon, olive oil, and red vineger. Works everytime. <br /><br />Some folks said to stick with it and you will see the diff. I agree, I find it easier and easier to say no to bloating, drowsyness and foods that give my body adverse reations. I never take antacids. I feel like they just keep your body from warning you of the damage your doing much like an athlete masking the pain of an injury with cortizone to continue to play.

gaugeguy

Captain

Now I have to ask the question...What is a MI? It doesn't sound like a good thing.

fishhunter911

Petty Officer 2nd Class

MI is short for, Myocardial Infarction.. aka Heart Attack

gaugeguy

Captain

Hope everything is going well, thats pretty scary.

Bored To Tears

Seaman Apprentice

its truly a great plan, and the sufferage is minimal, one of the best parts is that you can EAT on the plan<br /><br />for instance:<br /><br />a nice scoop of mashed cauliflower/ turnips (Agatston says low fat, I say a splash of real half and half cant hurt cause its one of the few fat sources I have ... choose your battles, I like creamy fat :D )<br />some steamed broccoli, and a roasted chicken breas ... wing holders, dont want to activate the little old ladies and 2 year olds that might be reading these posts! :rolleyes: <br /><br />delicious!<br /><br />also, if you make parboiled or so called "converted " rice, the glycemic index is much lower than the rest of the styles, and again, use your head, just have a scoop, dont have a plate of rice<br /><br />search for glycemic index, and choose foods low on the glycemic index<br /><br />Ive been over egging it, so my cholesterol is sky high, but once I break the bike out things should moderate

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

I read an article that 100 carbs is needed a day to keep the brain working properly. Does that mean if you have less you are skinny but dumb as a rock?

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

Miller Lite only has 3.2g carbs.....much lower than Coca Cola :D