Lost Thrust Plate

529andweekends

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 25, 2008
Messages
6
Good evening all. I lost one of the thrust plates on the side of my 1989 2.3 OMC cobra out drive. I had no problems getting the part but I have to split the leg to fix it.

Can someone tell me what exactly does the thrust plate do and can it wait for a winter project kind of thing.

I just rebuit the motor and I would like to enjoy it for a while before I take it apart again and find more things wrong :)

Thanks for your help
 

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Nov 10, 2002
Messages
14,491
Re: Lost Thrust Plate

The drive has to be off the boat but you don't have to split the upper and lower to do that job, I just did it over the winter, it's a little tricky to get the retainers in there but if you use a socket to push them on, it's not too hard. They keep the drive in proper alignment with the sides of the transom assembly. I don't know if there would be a problem running without it. I happened to notice one missing when I winterized it last fall, no idea how long it was like that because it was in the water for two months. Pretty easy job.
 

529andweekends

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 25, 2008
Messages
6
Re: Lost Thrust Plate

Thanks Lou that would explain the other side rubbing a bit. I painted the leg over the winter and now I can see the rubbing. I probably never noticed it before. Unless somebody tells me otherwise it sounds like a winter project :)
 
Top