Loss of power, won't plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beakster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Fact----The water that comes out the tell tale does NOT circulate through the block.----You should have lots of water coming out of the hoses before the water visits the thermostats !!----Time to stop running this motor and find out where the blockage is !!!
Ok, so I assume you mean that the disconnected rubber hose and it's twin next to it that I'm pointing at should both have lots of water flowing as soon as the engine is started?

Then once the thermostats open they take water from these hoses which has come from the head and let it out.

Only thing I can imagine is I got the copper pipe aligned wrong when refitting the Lower unit. Despite being really careful. If that's the case I guess the water I'm seeing is coming up the drive shaft area.

Still if I didn't have the tube inserted correctly I wouldn't expect water from the tell tale.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Water comes out of those hoses on the way to the thermostats.----When you start the motor water comes out those hoses.

Beakster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Water comes out of those hoses on the way to the thermostats.----When you start the motor water comes out those hoses.
Ok I have removed the lower unit and hooked a hose to the copper pipe in the exhaust housing.

When I run water through it it comes out of the tell tale and pours from the front of the motor as pictured above. It doesn't come from the hoses at the back.

I'm at a complete loss here.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Post pictures of top of cylinder heads.------Showing the tabs on the top of the cylinder heads.

Beakster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
20230703_180817.jpg20230703_180810.jpg

I think gaskets are fine. The problem is the water leaking before it can get the the heads. But I don't understand where it's leaking from

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Head gaskets are correct.----I am too far away to help with finding the blockage.----The saga continues.

Beakster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got the borescope in there and made a video. Looks like it’s leaking from where the power head meets the power head adapter.

Beakster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Remove powerhead and check things out.
Removed the powerhead, I reckon gasket was on wrong way around. I've flipped it, need to bolt everything back up.

20230703_203649.jpg

That's the old gasket from before the rebuild. I had that wee hole I'm pointing at on the port side, it should be on starboard. I believe it was the lack of gasket that was causing the leak.

Will bolt things back up and see where we are.

Beakster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Power head torqued down and now the water is flowing correctly. FML.... Not sure how I got the gasket the wrong way around.

Thanks for everyone's patience and advice. I'll report back soon with the next problem 😁

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
WaterFlow. Your motor doesn't have the Bubble/Turtleback Exhaust Cover, but the Flow is still the same

image_294549.jpg

This shows the Orientation of the Gasket. You really should get a New one if the current one was installed flipped.
1688444004724.png

Beakster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the diagram, I was looking for it earlier but couldn't find it. At this stage I'm going to make so with the gasket as is for now. I really don't want to put more money and time into the motor yet, it's almost consumed me already. Plus I'm running out of summer here in Quebec and my arms are wrecked from lifting the power head on and off as I don't have a hoist.

Interesting that the two images contradict each other on the location of part 93. I put it in front of the thermostat like the numbered diagram, but I've seen others do it behind like the water flow diagram. Hoping it doesn't matter?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
"I'm running out of summer here in Quebec"
Running out of Summer? That doesn't happen for another 4 weeks, until after the August Long Weekend. At least that's when summer ends in Alberta. In 1977, I remember snow falling in Late August, Disgusting

tphoyt

Ensign
It’s been a long journey for you. I hope this is the end and you get to enjoy it.
All the best

Beakster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've been busy running in the boat this weekend and mostly its all positive. Had a weird problem today where the boat lost power and couldn't get up on plane properly. I pulled the cover off and the arm that connects to the ignition advance had popped out and fallen down. I put it back in but it kept falling out. I wrapped a bit of electrical tape around it and popped it back in and that seemed to do it.

What is the correct fix here? I'm guessing I need to replace part 313700 which i think has been replaced by part 395448 ball and socket kit? Anything else that could be causing it to fall out?

Also when at idle I seem to have a misfire, anything I could check there? I think I might just need to get a timing light on it which I havent had a chance to do yet.

Otherwise it starts easily, has lots of power, strong tell tale and doesn't overheat :)

CurtisWayne94

Recruit
Hope the boat worked out for you. I just bought a 1983 skeeter wrangler HP150 with a 1982/83 Johnson 90hp V4. Pulled the carbs off to clean them and forgot to get good pictures of the tiny fuel lines but thanks to your posts and pictures I think I got mine back where they’re supposed to be. Currently waiting on a rebuild kit for the choke primer solenoid (one of the nipples is broke) and also the nipple it attaches to above the top carb was broke. Hopefully after this week I can get it back on the water.

Also I did buy the maintenance manual and the fuel hose diagram in it is almost no help. All the lines run into one bundle of black lines and can’t tell where the go when they come out of that bundle.

Status
Not open for further replies.