Looters in New Orleans

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Looters in New Orleans

Salty,<br />Facts are, not everyone chooses to go all wild when the chips are down. <br /><br />Don't care what color, what is going on with, I'm sure just a fraction of the people, is pure criminal. <br /><br />Firing at rescue teams don't match with what you described . Seems your a little too generous.<br /><br />NO is a catastrophe, people acting like criminals, shooting ect. ought to be dealt with deadly force when necessary, regardless of gender or color.<br /><br />Your response is like the other dogooder libs knee jerk reaction of reality.<br /><br />Spud

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Don't beat yourself up grandlarceny you're just observing what you observe, others are drawing conclusions that aren't warranted. pure ignorance.

GrandLarsony

Cadet

One more thing then off to beddy-bye...<br /><br />I'm a Republican conservative, super hard core. Supply-demand, Lassize-Fare (sp?), the whole deal. Take care of yourself & yours and f- everyone else.<br /><br />I'm also a racist, by breeding\culture\upbringing, although I try like heck to recognize it when it flares up. Embarasses me sometimes, but usually nobody knows but me.<br /><br />There, I feel better. That's me. Conflicted.<br /><br />If you feel the same, please look inside yourself and try harder. Those folks are just people. Like you. Like me.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by KeltonKrew:<br />
Why are they shooting at people who are trying to save them....why are they setting fires!<br /><br />they are criminals and in my opinion should be shot! those that are that active to run rampant and destroy had plenty of energy to get out when the evacuation order was given.
plenty of energy, kelton, but no motivation...to them, it's worth risking a hurricane, just to be there for the anarchy.<br /><br />I have a guess as to why they are doing it: Sport.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by rolmops:<br /> What happened to this country that even a disaster of this magnitude does not trigger a feeling of solidarity among the victims? Looting instead of trying to help your neighbor??<br />I say declare marshal law.Shoot looters on sight,and once we have cleared up the rubble let's go ahead and try to rebuild our solidarity such as we should have as a civilized nation.<br />We are a nation at war that was hit by a disaster and all the scum can think about is flatscreen televisions? It seems to me that we have to fix up more than just New Orleans.
This from the mouth of rolmops? Why can't we respond like this when we are dealing with them one at a time instead of en masse, huh???

Tyme2fish

Commander

That is pure unadulterated racism and it offends me as a human being and embarrasses me as a member of the white race. It is ignorance in its purest form.<br /><br />You confuse ignorance with the truth. I stand by my observation. I knew my comments would get me slammed but I can't stand the PC world ignoring the obvious.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Got hit directly by CHARLIE this time last year. The few of us that were here stuck together and helped each other out. Once they could get here,takes time,the salvation army,red cross,fire and others did a great job with food ,water,ice,search dogs. We evacutated,thank goodness, but were able to come back the next day. Dont know, i might have turned into an animal after a few days if i were stuck but not enough to shoot at all the planes and helicopters flying over. Guess you actually have to go thru it to make a real opinion. Have to admit though that lots appear to expect someone to take care of them. regards fred

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Tyme2fish:<br /> You confuse ignorance with the truth. I stand by my observation. I knew my comments would get me slammed but I can't stand the PC world ignoring the obvious.
Truth: "We had no looting. The population in our town was 6,000 with about 98% white."<br /><br />Ignorance: concluding that "It IS racial and blacks do not act the same as whites in periods of stress and problems" based on a single event in a segregated town of 6,000.<br /><br />You could conclude that "in 1969 small-town Virginians did not act the same as present-day inner-city New Orlineans."<br /><br />But, it is an opinion born of ignorance, and you'll carry it with you until you accumulate a broader knowlege base upon which to base a reasoned judgement.

jee70611

Petty Officer 1st Class

Guys, I know some stayed to take advantage of the situation, but you also have to understand a little about the region. I used to live in Lake Charles and was raised there. People in Louisiana are used to hurricanes. It's not anything new. So in many of their eyes it just, "well we'll just ride it out." It's something they deal with all the time. I know, I was just a kid when Andrew was bearing straight at us in Lake Charles. My family stayed to "ride it out." It worried me then, but the storm veered and missed us at the last minute. I'm sure many in New Orleans had some of the same feelings. Careless, ignorant, stubborn YES, but understanding their background can help you understand why many would be reluctant to just "tuck tail and waste money" for nothing. Sadly, this wasn't the case this time.<br /><br />James<br /><br />PS: Looters(except food and water) and gangbangers shooting at rescuers should be SHOT ON SITE IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

For everyone using race in both directions, why is it a factor ? There are people, that are acting like lawless idiots, shooting at rescue workers, stealing tv's, etc. I don't care what color their skin is, they need to be stopped. If that means deadly force....so be it. I won't blame a particular racial group for the problem, but I won't issue a "pass" either. It's simple, either you belong in the human race or you do not. Your actions speak more about what you are than the color of your skin. The world is full of idiots, I don't think any race has the market cornered. what we all need to do is weed out or punish the idiots. If I was armed, and waiting to be rescued, it would not matter what color the person was that was firing at the rescuers, they would be shot.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by Tyme2fish:<br /> There I said it. It IS racial and blacks do not act the same as whites in periods of stress and problems. Go ahead and start slamming me but I'll stand firm in my convictions.
It is not black. It is cultural. The culture of small-town VA is like a different country when compared to the culture of any large inner-city population. If you want to parallel race with culture, that's a completely different thread. But for every fine person you had in Virginia, there's probably 100 fine African-Americans in NO that are not stealing, shooting, etc.<br /><br />BTW, hurricane Camille never hit Virginia. Neither did tropical storm Camille. Tropical depression Camille did though and caused a great deal of flooding in Virginia, as well as many other states.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

Martial law... shoot em all when caught looting.

aspeck

Staff member

GrandLarsony, I am alot like you, actually - and right now we are working on the logistics to see if we can bring about 8 or 10 families to Central PA till they can recoupe their lives back in the south.

Tyme2fish

Commander

BTW, hurricane Camille never hit Virginia. Neither did tropical storm Camille. Tropical depression Camille did though and caused a great deal of flooding in Virginia, as well as many other states. [/QB][/quote]<br /><br />GEEZ GIVE ME A BREAK ON SEMANTICS. As a RESULT of Hurricane Camille portions of Virginia were devastated. There, is that OK to say. And I was smack dab in the middle of the devastation.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

its rather a moot point on the race. after isabelle here we had whites looting beach cottages. trash comes in all colors. myself and most my neighbors are fairly well armed and we understand that if you stay its 3 to 5 days before any form of govt,local or state or fed, services are avalible. if you cannot support yourself in primitive conditions for that amount of time ya have to leave. however my area is small compared to trying to evac an entire major city. its not been done before. not on US soil anyway. one of the first things I did in my isabelle preps was to insure adequte ammunition on hand and all firearms in working order. then proceded to insure my generator,fuel supplies, propane for the stove and my hand pumps outside were all in working order. what never ceases to amaze me is why are gas,electric and water mains not secured some hours before the storm hits? happens every time. what I do find incredible is now the secretary of homeland bungling is saying the reason all of the prepositioned federal equipment for disasters has not been deployed due to the governers of the devestated areas have not requested it. seems the govenors of AL, MS and LA just dont have the phone numbers or someting. maybe the secretary does not have cable. could be. or maybe he has been in so many important press conferences to pat fellow politicians on the back he missed the call. stranger things have happened.<br /> as far as tyme2fish's comments sometimes it almost looks credible. seems the black community when they riot tends to tear up and destroy their own homes and hoods. however this area was mostly black and poor to start with. some stayed in the misguided hope to protect what little they had. thats why I stay when they call for an evac. however my situation is a bit different. I am more self sufficient than most and my property does not flood like others. but in the event of a cat 4 or higher I may leave.