Looters in New Orleans

gonefishie

Commander
Re: Looters in New Orleans

Did you guys see the video clip of the police looting, that right POLICE

oddjob

Commander

Originally posted by txswinner:<br /> Oddjob you are sick, Elmer I am not sure the guard are even armed in NO. Do not know if they are armed either.
Good,..now I know I can communicate with you effectively.<br /><br />See I grew up a lib.....I learned all those songs by heart on the guitar...sang them word for word....for years. Then I grew up, investigated the other side...then realized I had been dooped. Now I pay attention and investigate both sides of a message before I assume a celeberty (sp)/ singer/ actor stands up to the mic/camera and spews Bull crap. <br /><br />Neil didnt sing the whole truth there. It got out of hand and was a misunderstanding started by civil disobedience. I wont bother with the details..... :)

Tinkr

Cadet

The issue with looters seems to be that people put them in the category of mongrels who kick people when they're down.<br /><br />Why is a looter so much worse than a burglar or other thug who invades someone's home or shop or factory or other premises and steals their goods at other times?<br /><br />They're all crooks who are just stealing from others.<br /><br />If the police, and the community, were as tough all the time on crooks who plundered the rest of us as they are at those very rare times like Katrina we would be a lot better off.

GrandLarsony

Cadet

The issue here, pardon me, seems to be much simpler than anyone has yet had the guts to say outloud... What all you (actually, I mean "we" since I'm having the same problem) White people are seeing is crazed hordes of Black people running rampant and acting like criminals.<br /><br />This goes right to the heart of American racism.<br /><br />If your community was crushed and you had NOTHING... No food, no water, no shelter, no clothes, etc. and were forced to SWIM IN CRAP and DEAD BODIES, trying to find FOOD for your CHILDREN, how do you think you and your neighbors would act ? Humans are just animals when pushed to the limit. Self preservation takes over. People act insane.<br /><br />Sorry to be so blunt, but this thread reeks of racial undertones.<br /><br />Feel free to bash me. Whatever.

salty87

Commander

i'm with you grandlarsony...you can't leave people behind for dead and expect them to be civil once society and the city crumbles all around them.<br /><br />there's a reason there are more blacks left behind than whites...they had no way out. now they have no help...a bad combination.

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

I myself might get shot at for this comment but here it goes. The MANDATORY evacuation order was issued a full 30 hours before the 'cane made landfall. You can make up a lot of distance in 30 hours just by walking. Granted, many were sick, old and couldn't walk for other reasons but no-one down there even bothered to try. Yes, I feel bad for the people still stuck in that hell hole but not bad at all for anyone driving around in stolen Ryder vans waving AKs and yelling, "F the cops!" (heard that report on the news this morning.) If it weren't for those morons, the police wouldn't have to be pulled off of SAR duty to control those A holes. Shoot the SOBs.

aspeck

Staff member

Originally posted by GrandLarsony:<br /> <br />If your community was crushed and you had NOTHING... No food, no water, no shelter, no clothes, etc. and were forced to SWIM IN CRAP and DEAD BODIES, trying to find FOOD for your CHILDREN, how do you think you and your neighbors would act ?
Only problem with this is, who forced them to swim in crap and dead bodies? If they had listened to the warnings and gotten out of dodge, they wouldn't be there in those circumstances. And yes, buses and transportation was provided for those that would take it earlier.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A lot of assumption there, salty.<br /><br />A lot of those people simply ignored the mandatory evacuation order. See all the cars in the video clips?<br /><br />True, some had no way out. Those are the ones being preyed upon, not the mobile, able bodies who are doing the preying.<br /><br />"left behind" is a loaded phrase. Blaming survivors for surviving is a pretty cheap shot.

Tyme2fish

Commander

I experienced Hurricane Camille in 1969 in a small town in Virginia. We had over 28 inches of rain in less than 20 hours. Yes. Those figures are correct. Needless to say, the rain came off the mountains and the valley was flooded.<br /><br />I helped out all night and the next day in a flat bottom boat with paddles to rescue people from roofs and trees. This occured while the flood waters were pushing locomotives off tracks. I was too young to understand the danger I was in. Twenty years old.<br /><br />We had no looting. The population in our town was 6,000 with about 98% white. We didn't turn into savage beasts looting and plundering. <br /><br />There I said it. It IS racial and blacks do not act the same as whites in periods of stress and problems. Go ahead and start slamming me but I'll stand firm in my convictions.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

The issue here, pardon me, seems to be much simpler than anyone has yet had the guts to say outloud... What all you (actually, I mean "we" since I'm having the same problem) White people are seeing is crazed hordes of Black people running rampant and acting like criminals.<br /><br />This goes right to the heart of American racism.<br /><br />If your community was crushed and you had NOTHING... No food, no water, no shelter, no clothes, etc. and were forced to SWIM IN CRAP and DEAD BODIES, trying to find FOOD for your CHILDREN, how do you think you and your neighbors would act ? Humans are just animals when pushed to the limit. Self preservation takes over. People act insane.<br /><br />Sorry to be so blunt, but this thread reeks of racial undertones.<br /><br />Feel free to bash me. Whatever.
If these people were taking food/water/ and some clothes I could understand. You have to survive.<br /><br />but what the hell are they going to do with a flatscreen tv! Why are they shooting at people who are trying to save them....why are they setting fires!<br /><br />they are criminals and in my opinion should be shot! those that are that active to run rampant and destroy had plenty of energy to get out when the evacuation order was given.

migue

Seaman Apprentice

Back where i was born(Cuba) we have countless problems but when a major hurricane comes and a mandatory evacuation is issued it is just that "MANDATORY" you have to leave like it or not, want it or not. that saves lives and also prevents looting because there is no one in the city. Here i think that lots of people do not leave because they do not want to leave their property in a lawlless town full of crooks. I can't understand how in the most powerfull and resourcefull country in the world that can't be done.

gonefishie

Commander

there were news footages showed white looting too, I don't think anyone meant to raise a racial issue here. The fact that N.O population is majority black makes thing seem one sided. Also, nothing but projects, getto and poor peoples when they see expensive stuff that they can take they can't help it. What really pissed me off was seeing them taking shoes? kids walking around with several boxes of new shoes and the several female uniformed polices walking around in a Walmart with shopping carts taking stuffs.

salty87

Commander

-"left behind" is a loaded phrase. Blaming survivors for surviving is a pretty cheap shot.<br /><br />JB- it's not loaded at all. why do you think there are so many black faces left and not so many white ones? because there are cars left on the street they belong to all these poor souls? i'd say that's a rather presumptious statement.<br /><br />do you guys really think that people who rent or are on govt checks really stayed behind to watch their possessions? that's ridiculous. do you think any of the looters own homes? not a chance.

ebbtide176

Commander

yeah, i think alot of people with very little means didn't think they could get a hotel somewhere, and made the wrong decision and stayed behind. i think everyone could have gotten out even if they walked, begged, etc. there are always some who take the chance and stay, and alot of those that do this are probably very poor.<br /><br />i understand looting for basics, food, water, blankets, tarps, camping type supplies,etc. as a means of survival. its still wrong, and should be paid back. i'd probably do it if i were stuck in N/O.<br /><br />and i understand the 'pity the poor' type thing, but they definitely need to be arrested for petty theft. and if they pointed weapons or acted threatening, i think they would deserve to get shot/zapped, whatever, by authorities.<br /><br />and i don't know what all the police are looting, but i know they have the authority to take supplies & bldgs if needed, for their job there. if they need batteries, radios, pc's, ammo, guns, i can understand that.<br /><br />what does irritate me is to hear them complaining that they're not getting help fast enough, and no one cares about them. i can see them complaining about the stinking situation, but blaming it on the outside world is a BS argument.<br /><br />i think actually everyone who lived there should have realized they were below sealevel and that this situation was prewarned for yrs.

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lot's of cars on the street + Lot's of people who stayed = Lot's of people who could have left but didn't.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

What happened to this country that even a disaster of this magnitude does not trigger a feeling of solidarity among the victims? Looting instead of trying to help your neighbor??<br />I say declare marshal law.Shoot looters on sight,and once we have cleared up the rubble let's go ahead and try to rebuild our solidarity such as we should have as a civilized nation.<br />We are a nation at war that was hit by a disaster and all the scum can think about is flatscreen televisions? It seems to me that we have to fix up more than just New Orleans.

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm outta here, folks. It's getting a bit too political for me and besides, my back is killing me, I'm gonna lay down and read a book. Seeya soon.

salty87

Commander

"Lot's of cars on the street + Lot's of people who stayed = Lot's of people who could have left but didn't."<br /><br />- either that stmt advocates stealing before the fact or you guys don't know the area and people you're talking about.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Tyme2fish:<br /> <br />We had no looting. The population in our town was 6,000 with about 98% white. We didn't turn into savage beasts looting and plundering. <br /><br />There I said it. It IS racial and blacks do not act the same as whites in periods of stress and problems. Go ahead and start slamming me but I'll stand firm in my convictions.
That is pure unadulterated racism and it offends me as a human being and embarrasses me as a member of the white race. It is ignorance in its purest form.<br /><br />In a big city we got something maybe you didn't notice in your little town - plenty of crime, both white and black...plenty of criminals of all colors...but mostly good people who want to do the right thing.<br /><br />But attitudes like yours can only be changed by personal experience...maybe one day something will happen that will open your eyes...I sincerely hope it happens before you pop off to the wrong person.

GrandLarsony

Cadet

Oh, geez.... I never meant to start some big racial discussion that would get so out of hand. I just got steamed, frankly at MYSELF, for feeling like such a racist *******. Hate that.<br /><br />I think the major networks -- I'm watching two right now -- are definitely spinning this with raacial tones. Maybe not overt (although it was just discussed, in detail, on ABC) but it's definitely there.<br /><br />Most likely, I have to believe that it's a result of 1) majority black population 2) local people's reluctance to leave for variety of reasons and 3) correspondence of race \ economic position \ feeling of entitlement. Oh, crap, there I go again... did I just imply that southern blacks feel entitled to steal plasma TVs after hurricanes? DAMN !<br /><br />Please try to see what I'm getting at here.<br /><br />Unless you're THERE RIGHT NOW, you have no idea how you'd react.<br /><br />Saying that people should've left, without understanding the background, is ignorant.