Looks like it is Time for a rebuild Chevy 350

ponyman460

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Looks like it is Time for a rebuild Chevy 350

Hey Ponyman if you need any help I live up in Jupiter and have done a lot with 350s and alphas feel free to contact me for my # if you need any local help

thanks Joe! The boat is in Jupiter Farms....right around the corner from you! Thanks, I might need it.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Why vortec heads wont see much gain in a boat engine. Any old pre 87 block will serve as a replacement

ponyman460

Seaman Apprentice

Why vortec heads wont see much gain in a boat engine. Any old pre 87 block will serve as a replacement

well, I was told by a buddy of mine that they are better than the stockers that came on this motor. I found them for 450 on ebay ready to bolt on too...which is a little more expensive than machine shop bills for a complete head rebuild but I thought they would be worth it if they were worth more power.

Bondo

Staff member

well, I was told by a buddy of mine that they are better than the stockers that came on this motor.

Ayuh,... I agree,.. The Vortecs are the most efficent, Best heads ever bolted onto a SBC, bar none...

Your block is a 2 pc. seal motor, but a newer block can be used, you'll just need a different flywheel, 'n coupler...

JupiterJoe

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hey pony how did you know i was in the farms
i would use a pre 85 block with 4 blt mains they can handle the torq. better than a 2 blt. and before you start using machine shops there is one i wouldnt use.. RPM is all i say.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

While being great heads vortech heads alone wont do much good. boat engines need drastic gains to show a little improvement. It isnt a street engine

ponyman460

Seaman Apprentice

hey pony how did you know i was in the farms
i would use a pre 85 block with 4 blt mains they can handle the torq. better than a 2 blt. and before you start using machine shops there is one i wouldnt use.. RPM is all i say.

ha ha...didnt say I knew you were....that is where my boat is! lol

where is RPM located?

ponyman460

Seaman Apprentice

Ayuh,... I agree,.. The Vortecs are the most efficent, Best heads ever bolted onto a SBC, bar none...

Your block is a 2 pc. seal motor, but a newer block can be used, you'll just need a different flywheel, 'n coupler...

got it...thanks. I will try to source a pre 85 to minimize the parts needed

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

If you use a one piece rear seal block you must also have the crank

JupiterJoe

Petty Officer 3rd Class

RPM is in jupiter in the commerce park off indiantown rd.. he did a bad job on my D max heads. and i had 2 valves break and one rocker nut come off on 2 sets of heads he reworked for me that are in my big boat .. any way lake park is a awsome shop and great prices..

ponyman460

Seaman Apprentice

how about a 454 swap while I am at it? THis question is just for the fun of it, but how hard would it be to put a 454 in the place the 350 was? I would like to use the alpha one outdrive if possible....but I have heard they are weak past 300 horse.

what all would have to be changed?

Brentathon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I thought the cams were different in marinized engines.......in addition to the different load/speed requirements of marine engines, I thought the marine cam profile helped to prevent the possibility of drawing-in water (thru exhaust) by closing the exhaust valve earlier than automotive cams do.

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer

Different motor block, so new mounts, manifolds, risers and what not. You can go to a 383 pretty easily though.

ponyman460

Seaman Apprentice

ok, bringing this one back up....back to the 350...

what is necessary to change if I find a block that is newer.....1 piece rear main seal and how much money am I talking about?

I grabbed a early 70's motor for a quick rebuild that a guy told me was running, and it turned out to be junk. Needs to be bored, crank needs to be turned, rods possibly resized etc. Really got burnt on that one.

Might be on the lookout again...

I have also been doing a lot of reading on the outboard swap....plenty of guys do it and then again there are plenty of people that say dont because the geometry is all wrong, plus the cost is MUCH higher to do this.

Been considering all options....fix this boat and sell it so I can get an outboard boat, do the swap, or just fix it and use it....not sure at this point.

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If It was me, I would inspect cylinder walls first to see if hatch lines were still there and if it had ridges at the top of the cylinders. Mild rust can be wiped away with some marvel mystery oil. No point in pulling engine if the bottom end looks good unless you just want to, but that's me! Kind of reminds me if its not broke, don't fix it!