Looks like it is Time for a rebuild Chevy 350

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Looks like it is Time for a rebuild Chevy 350

Why not use PB blaster and unstick the valves then new push rods and crank that beast up to see what you are getting in to? You already have this engine and you never know till you try.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Just to give you yet another option - instead of rebuilding what you have or buying a rebuilt engine, why not simply buy a brand new engine from Chevy? You can then use your externals on this engine. You can buy a Vortec... or you can buy a basic "universal 350" for around $1,500 brand new: Brand new crate engine

M15183655.gif

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Entered in error...

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

That would work, but it would need brass core plugs installed. (Raw water cooled)

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Most of the new ones come with brass core plugs already installed... but yes, that is important to check.

The cam profile I believe would work fine in a boat. This engine is a replacement for truck engines.

ponyman460

Seaman Apprentice

Why not use PB blaster and unstick the valves then new push rods and crank that beast up to see what you are getting in to? You already have this engine and you never know till you try.

PB may work.....I was drowning it in wd-40 at first....they valve was still stuck. I could try some more....no harm done I suppose.

ponyman460

Seaman Apprentice

I was reading through this thread waiting to see if anyone set u on the easy track but I see one guy did. I was doing some research on what it cost to rebuild a chevy 4.3 and the prices are just about the same and in some instances less for the 350. the difference in the cost of a reman engine, is often just about the cost of the rebuild, if you are doing it your self.
with an engine of suspect condition, that seems to have had questionable maintainence, i would not be supprised if the condition of the water part of the block is in a bad way too :eek:, so it may be an overall saving to just buy a reman engine. and with a reman you get a warranty which you are unable to build into yours :rolleyes:
At least that way you start off with a casting in good good condition and could do your maintainence to keep from having stupid overheating problems after rebuilding a rusted out block.
Guy with a boat near mine actually rebuilt his engine and then found what appeared to be some porosity in the block and had to end up doing a second rebuild with a fresh block, cost him way more, he almost went to a reman instead of the second rebuild, but the mechanic worked with him to reduce the cost.
depending on where you are there is also the posibility of impropper winterizing too, and unless u are like me and dont need to know what that means, im sure u know where im heading......

My advice at this point is buy a reman engine and start fresh :cool:

note it seems cheaper to rebuild at first glance. but if u done it in cars check everything, and u will see.

No Fuss :D

I would be doing it myself. I know my way around a motor pretty well....and yes I do realize that machine shop bills can add up quickly. Might be the best option to stop by Rapido and check them out.

I also have a buddy that does a TON of high performance stuff for SBC based motors...I m sure he could come up with something.....

and yes I know what you mean by not knowing about winterizing lol....S. Fla never gets cold enough to worry

ponyman460

Seaman Apprentice

well the motor is fried for sure. I was hoping that on an outside chance I could get her up and running with a replacement set of cylinder heads (that I found locally but didnt buy yet). I was amazed to see part of the piston GONE on number 3!

Must have gotten the motor hot enough to melt the piston I guess. That and you can see the rust in #8

Time for a new motor.

Attachments

• boat motor.jpg
    boat motor.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 0

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

well the motor is fried for sure. I was hoping that on an outside chance I could get her up and running with a replacement set of cylinder heads (that I found locally but didnt buy yet). I was amazed to see part of the piston GONE on number 3!

Must have gotten the motor hot enough to melt the piston I guess. That and you can see the rust in #8

Time for a new motor.

That piece of piston being gone is most likely due to a detonation event at high power..........like a full throttle hole shot or WOT run. Marine engines don't usually get hot enough to hurt anything!!

ponyman460

Seaman Apprentice

That piece of piston being gone is most likely due to a detonation event at high power..........like a full throttle hole shot or WOT run. Marine engines don't usually get hot enough to hurt anything!!

gotcha! :D

tony edwards

Cadet

looks like u got some good advise from others. just remember, you are dealing with a marine engine. dont go to your local auto parts store and get a reman. a marine engine has forged pistons and better rods, crank, etc. your engine is used to turning around 45/4600 rpms. an automotive engine generally turns 18/2200 rpms. so please dont try to use an automotive eng. wont last long and you will be doing this again. when you dissassemble your engine, you will possibly be able to use most of your rotating parts. just build it like you would on your hot rod. mike crank, magnaflux block and heads, use marine parts to do your buildup and it will last you a long time with regular maintenance.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

...and yes I do realize that machine shop bills can add up quickly.

For the cost of one semester, ($80) the local technical college's night engine class has the equipment to machine everything on an engine, except cut the crankshaft (local speed shop), it does have the balancing fixture. Two nights a week, you can save yourself a chunk of change this winter. Check the one in your area out.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Marine engines do not have forged pistons unless replaced by end user. Marine cranks are automotive cranks. Marine rods are automotive rods. marine bolts are automotive bolts.Marine cams are marine cams. Marine heads are automotive heads. As far as automotive not lasting long I have run one with over one hundred thousand miles in my baylinner for 2 seasons. No problems here except it revs to 6000 RPM. Might be that 4.3 v6 leg I have on a 305. If that block isnt scared up you can get replacement pistons cheap. I know some will say they are marine. My supposed marine pistons numbers match automotive pistons. Check your crank if it will not require turning don't turn it. Check prices on a block cleaning and overbore if you need it. I have beat the heck out of reman engine prices many times. Also on the brass freeze plugs if you are building it go ahead and swap them. I bet your are steel like most come from the boat builders with. Wicked nasty street cams dont fair to well in marine engines do your homework first. Class dismissed

ponyman460

Seaman Apprentice

so a few quick questoins....if I were to put something together myself.....what year chevy 350 engine blocks can I use? I want to use the Vortec heads, so I know that I need an intake manifold....

just trying to do all of my research before I spend any money.

JupiterJoe

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey Ponyman if you need any help I live up in Jupiter and have done a lot with 350s and alphas feel free to contact me for my # if you need any local help

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

so a few quick questoins....if I were to put something together myself.....what year chevy 350 engine blocks can I use? I want to use the Vortec heads, so I know that I need an intake manifold....

just trying to do all of my research before I spend any money.
If its the boat in your signature it has to have the two piece rear crank seal.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

Good read.
I'm looking at a repower for the SeaRay and I'm wondering how much I can do myself to save the $6K that the local shop whats.

redjmp

Chief Petty Officer

Good read.
I'm looking at a repower for the SeaRay and I'm wondering how much I can do myself to save the $6K that the local shop whats.

Best to start your own thread instead of trying to hijack this one...