Looking to Paint over Old Gelcoat.

1985 Century Mustang

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can anyone recommend a good paint to go over my old gel coat. It will be above the water line, it's just basically the top portion of my boat. The boat is almost 40 years old and the gelcoat is starting to look faded etc. Any suggestions, epoxy primer and then paint? Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
is the boat kept in the water? is the boat a weekend trailer boat only?

the stickies have a low cost process to paint your boat for about $100. only works on trailer boats. if its a moored boat, you are looking at one of the top-side marine paints

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Interlux Briteside is a one-part polyurethane paint for topside use. It can be rolled and tipped for a finish that is close to sprayed. It is tough and very shiny.

Marine enamels are not quite as good, but a whole lot cheaper. The question is how good do you want the boat to look?

1985 Century Mustang

Petty Officer 1st Class
is the boat kept in the water? is the boat a weekend trailer boat only?

the stickies have a low cost process to paint your boat for about $100. only works on trailer boats. if its a moored boat, you are looking at one of the top-side marine paints

It's a weekend trailer boat only. Comes in and out of the water.

1985 Century Mustang

Petty Officer 1st Class
Interlux Briteside is a one-part polyurethane paint for topside use. It can be rolled and tipped for a finish that is close to sprayed. It is tough and very shiny.

Marine enamels are not quite as good, but a whole lot cheaper. The question is how good do you want the boat to look?

Paint will make it 80 times better, as it's pretty ratty looking, especially on top of the stern.

Berdink

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm currently going this method also.
I was pretty much settled on doing gelcoat over old gelcoat and I decided otherwise when I started thinking about how much work would be involved, and then it would only be as good as the old gelcoat below.
So, for now, I'm going to do oil-based paint over the old gelcoat.
I roughed it up with 40 grit. I'm not looking for pretty because it's just the floor of my boat, and I'll be putting sand in the paint for non-slip.
I just want it to stick good and reasonably resist foot traffic. I did use an oil-based primer from Sherwin-Williams, but I may find out I shouldn't have, and instead just painted right over the sanded and cleaned gelcoat - time will tell. I already have some Rust-Oleum Marine Topside paint that I'll be putting over that tomorrow afternoon. I'll put Majic Hardner in it to the instructed ratio.
I'll keep an eye on this thread to see how things go for you.

1985 Century Mustang

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm currently going this method also.
I was pretty much settled on doing gelcoat over old gelcoat and I decided otherwise when I started thinking about how much work would be involved, and then it would only be as good as the old gelcoat below.
So, for now, I'm going to do oil-based paint over the old gelcoat.
I roughed it up with 40 grit. I'm not looking for pretty because it's just the floor of my boat, and I'll be putting sand in the paint for non-slip.
I just want it to stick good and reasonably resist foot traffic. I did use an oil-based primer from Sherwin-Williams, but I may find out I shouldn't have, and instead just painted right over the sanded and cleaned gelcoat - time will tell. I already have some Rust-Oleum Marine Topside paint that I'll be putting over that tomorrow afternoon. I'll put Majic Hardner in it to the instructed ratio.
I'll keep an eye on this thread to see how things go for you.

Awesome, Can you post some before and after pics, I'd like to see how it comes out. I'm doing it this way also, but I'm not going to use a primer. Just some sanding and cleaning it down with mineral spirits etc.

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If the paint calls for primer, be sure and use it. Some call for primer over metal and not FG, some call for primer over both.

i.e. Briteside wants primer for metal, but none is necessary for fiberglass, unless fiberglass surface is crazed.

edgepa

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Before you paint, have you tried wet sanding and using compounds to bring back the color?

Attachments

• IMG_5390.jpeg
    IMG_5390.jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 2