Looking to make my first boat purchase!

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Looking to make my first boat purchase!

My only issue was the floor was mush he said that its just the top layer and everything under that is all fiberglass. I dont know how true that is but he did say he would take 3000 so i said had to think about to do some research.

Is that true can just replace the top layer or everything under it?

Also there was no place to tie a tube to other than the side tie downs is that safe?

And what do you think about this one http:// bgky.craigslist.org/boa/3598325521.html

If the floor is mush, then it is a good bet that everything below it is also mush (it is wood and fiberglass . . . would need a complete gutting and restore if it was rotted). The seller is probably wrong about just needing a floor.

Best if it is a center located tow eye

QC

Supreme Mariner

You need to go to the restore section and look at floor replacement threads. Yes, they are fiberglass underneath. Waaaaay underneath :)

You can always mount a tow eye. We can help with that here.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Well the search goes on. Couldnt get the boat on the river everything flooded but it did start and run good. My only issue was the floor was mush he said that its just the top layer and everything under that is all fiberglass. I dont know how true that is but he did say he would take 3000 so i said had to think about to do some research. Is that true can just replace the top layer or everything under it? Also there was no place to tie a tube to other than the side tie downs is that safe? And what do you think about this onehttp:// bgky.craigslist.org/boa/3598325521.html

Hard to imagine 10 people on that boat (in the Craigslist link). I was looking for my first boat about a year ago, and I got to the point where I became suspicious at any description of a boat that spends the majority of the available space describing the sound system.

Also, I have a family of 5 and while we fit on my 19' bowrider, there is not much room if anyone wants to bring along a friend, especially if you're toting a tube/wakeboard/skis, a cooler, etc. Even with just the five of us, it gets a bit cozy. I only mention this because I never expected that a boat 'rated' for nine people could feel cramped with only five...

Good luck, keep looking carefully. Your boat is out there and when you find it, you'll love it.

Jim

southkogs

Staff member

Well the search goes on. Couldnt get the boat on the river everything flooded but it did start and run good. My only issue was the floor was mush he said that its just the top layer and everything under that is all fiberglass. I dont know how true that is but he did say he would take 3000 so i said had to think about to do some research. Is that true can just replace the top layer or everything under it? Also there was no place to tie a tube to other than the side tie downs is that safe? And what do you think about this onehttp:// bgky.craigslist.org/boa/3598325521.html
:D - just mushy on the top layer. Have him drill the core and show you ... yeah, right pal.

The boat in the CL link can't really have a capacity of much more than 8 ... 6 might be cozy, but not comfortable on that boat. V8 also sounds a little sporty on that boat. The boat may be bigger than it looks, but looks more like an 18 to me. I'm not sure on price. Might be a little high in this area, so make sure the boat is in really good shape.

saumon

Lieutenant

Just a hint: boats rot from the inside out, that mean it's very frequent to see a boat with a perfectly solid deck on which the stringers and transom were completely shot. So, if "the floor was mush "......, you get the picture?

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Soft floor? Like everyone says... move on to the next one.

jermaine

Seaman Apprentice

On the way back from evansville I spoted this cl ad gave the guy a call. Long story short did a good inspection everything checked out everything worked as should trailer was in good shape So we took it out on lake and it ran good floors were solid. He is the second owner of the boat looks well taken care of. Only issue he forgot the title at home. So we agreed on hand shake suppose to meet him tomm. To close the deal I will post pics up when I get it. So what do you all think good or bad choice?19' Marlin Ski boat

QC

Supreme Mariner

I like what I have read. Merc = good, GM V8 = good, new tires = good, sounds like good maintenance = good. I even like the guys tone in the ad.

jermaine

Seaman Apprentice

Also he text me a few minute ago to let me know he rewinterized, checked tire pressure, greased bearings, and cleaned the boat so far nothing but a stand up guy.

16victor

Seaman

Hmmm...is yours like this??

He's asking 9 grand for a one year older boat but with a big block...if that's an advantage in a 19' boat.

For a 1989 boat from what I've seen, that's a very good price IF it's solid and well maintained. From what I have read, these have similar wood cancer issues like many other boats of the vintage.

As I told my wife (after seeing several boats) "the right boat will tell you to buy it."

Let us see pics...I'm happy for you if it's the one.

Natty Light

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What part of kentucky lake will you be in?

southkogs

Staff member

On the way back from evansville I spoted this cl ad gave the guy a call. Long story short did a good inspection everything checked out everything worked as should trailer was in good shape So we took it out on lake and it ran good floors were solid. He is the second owner of the boat looks well taken care of. Only issue he forgot the title at home. So we agreed on hand shake suppose to meet him tomm. To close the deal I will post pics up when I get it. So what do you all think good or bad choice?19' Marlin Ski boat
Hey! I like the looks of it, and I agree with QC - the tone of the ad is good. Comes fully equipped with fun stuff too. Good find.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

I like what I see in the ad but don't forget to compression test the motor before you buy. The boat might be in great condition but if the motor needs work, and the only way to know that is to have it checked out by a mechanic or someone who is real familiar with engines, you could be looking at a big chunk of money to fix it. For example it could run great but still need a valve job or manifolds and or elbows if run in salt water. I'm not saying it's not everything it appears to be... just be sure.

jermaine

Seaman Apprentice

Its official I am a boat owner! I think I made out pretty good time will tell pics to come. I would like to thank all that helped me in this process. There's no telling what I would done if not for all the guidance. I'm sure I will be on here asking lots of question in the future. Of yea its a 88 and not 89.

tpenfield

Staff member

Congrats . . . looking forward to the pics.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Congratulations!!! Now you're screwed just like the rest of us. :eek: :p :D

southkogs

Staff member

Its official I am a boat owner! I think I made out pretty good time will tell pics to come. I would like to thank all that helped me in this process. There's no telling what I would done if not for all the guidance. I'm sure I will be on here asking lots of question in the future. Of yea its a 88 and not 89.
Score!! Congratulations - welcome to the addiction.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Congratulations! I bet you have a blast with your boat.

Jim