Looking to make my first boat purchase!

jermaine

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Looking to make my first boat purchase!

nashville.craigslist.org/bod/3580880249.html
this guy posted this a couple of times I emailed them about the details with no response

southkogs

Staff member

Leave that Bayliner ad alone Jermaine ... somethin' weird about that one.

Here's a few worth looking at a little bit:
20' Blue Water
16' Sea Ray
19' Four Winns - Be careful with this one. That might be a Merc 470 in it, and they're supposed be kinda' sketchy.
Hurricane Deck Boat - Not for everyone, but sometimes they work out
20' Sea Ray - Normally I don't like boats that claim to have been rebuilt, but this one seems worth lookin' at

Plus the VIP from before ... Like I said, there are plenty of 'em around. Wait for your pitch.

jermaine

Seaman Apprentice

Also like this but kind wondering why he would replace all that and not do the carb if thats all it needs humh

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Also like this but kind wondering why he would replace all that and not do the carb if thats all it needs humh

I'd stay clear of this one! It sounds/looks like a salvage boat. Either one that was in a bad accident or sat under water for some time.

jermaine

Seaman Apprentice

yea that's what I was thinking

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

nashville.craigslist.org/bod/3580880249.html
this guy posted this a couple of times I emailed them about the details with no response

Jermaine, Some Bayliners ore O.K. But keep in mind it is an entry level "price point boat" they are made as cheaply as possible to be sold as cheaply as possible. Very thin fiberglass super structure, sub par deck fittings etc. You would be better off with an older but better made brand of boat.

jermaine

Seaman Apprentice

thanks southkogs for all your input I need to get out there and check some of these out will keep you posted when I do

southkogs

Staff member

I'd stay clear of this one! It sounds/looks like a salvage boat. Either one that was in a bad accident or sat under water for some time.
That was the last link in my list too - normally, I'd say the same thing. But that glass shop is supposed to do decent work, so it's worth taking a look.

southkogs

Staff member

Jermaine, Some Bayliners ore O.K. But keep in mind it is an entry level "price point boat" they are made as cheaply as possible to be sold as cheaply as possible. Very thin fiberglass super structure, sub par deck fittings etc. You would be better off with an older but better made brand of boat.
It's not the Bayliner part that bugs me on that link ... it's the way the ad is setup. That one is readin' "scam" to me. I'm not used to seeing ads like that one around here ... it's fishy.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

It's not the Bayliner part that bugs me on that link ... it's the way the ad is setup. That one is readin' "scam" to me. I'm not used to seeing ads like that one around here ... it's fishy.

I agree with the scam part too. No real info about the boat itself. A lot of ads on craig's list are either looking for email or phone numbers to sell or "can't show you the item because it's in storage" but want you to put money into a scam escrow account until you can see it.

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

well guys I checked out the MWR today and for a 19' ski boat for the weekend $506 or $316 for a day. I think that's a little much just to try out a boat. Or to rent on a regular basis. If I rented 8-10 times I already reached or passed my budget. And I'm set on buying a boat I have been wanting one for a while and I'm now in a position where I can get one. I would like to stay in the $5000 dollar range but for the right boat I think I could spend a little more. Again thanks for all the good info I'm not a big fan out the OB's and I really like the bowriders. I like having the swim platform. So that's my preference right now subject to change. But you all are the the pros I'm the rookie just personal preference but thanks for the advice you have a really good point. Just wish it wasn't so much to rent a boat or is that about the average price?

WOW!!! Prices have gone up. That isn't bad in comparison to the civilian places, but I understand what you're saying about the sticker shock. Boating is expensive though, either way you do it....so consider yourself warned....and welcome to the insanity. ;)

You could do a lot worse than an 18-20' bowrider. They're very versatile. Should be plenty to choose from if you expand your search area to Nashville, Evansville and Louisville.

D1vemaster

Cadet

Go to a dealer that sells new boats, they all have trades. There usually checked out pretty well before they will put them on their lot. They dont like angry customers in their showrooms. Ask the if their mechanic looked it over. Allot of people buy boats new have them serviced at the dealer and then trade or sell through the dealer. You get a boat with a complete service history. I buy used cars the same way.
Beware private sellers .
They say the 2 happiest days in a mans life is the day he buys his boat and the day he sells his boat. Try and spend as much as you can and buy quality.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

They say the 2 happiest days in a mans life is the day he buys his boat and the day he sells his boat. Try and spend as much as you can and buy quality.[/QUOTE]

^^^+1

QC

Supreme Mariner

What engine/power? How long is she? Single axle tells me around 18', but looks to be 20+.

Condition looks relatively good, but I would want to be especially careful about the deck (floor) and also the transom.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

What engine/power? How long is she? Single axle tells me around 18', but looks to be 20+.
Condition looks relatively good, but I would want to be especially careful about the deck (floor) and also the transom.

I second the being careful about the floor part it looks like it might be double decked up towards the front in the middle just in back of the wood grate. Double decking is when they take a good piece of wood and lay it over a soft piece to cover it up. Look at this sample pic. see how the floor in the red box is two different heights?

floor-cover-up.jpg

Thats because the flooring up front and probably the stringers (frame of boat) under it was soft so they put down another piece of wood and covered it with fresh carpet so when you walked on it, it would feel solid. Now look at the area I described in your potential boat. See the same thing?

3F83J33Nd5Nc5Id5K8cco7234458a0f441364.jpg

From the angle the below pic was taken I can't tell if that is an OMC sterndrive. If it is you don't want the boat period. They haven't made that brand of sterndrive in a long time and finding parts can be a night mare. It could be a Volvo I can't quite tell. I'm just saying find out before going to see it and let us know.

3E53G23H25Fd5H85J2cco08577f8aa944176d.jpg

southkogs

Staff member

going to take a look at this in a few please let me know what you all think87 Avanti for speed

Like the guys said, check that floor close. It looks like it's been sitting uncovered for a while. If the vinyl is cracked and highly sun faded that usually indicates that they have just let the thing sit out most of the time. Watch that trailer too. A nice boat is great, but it stinks if you have to move it around telepathically :rolleyes:

Here's a couple down here in Nashville that you might look at. I saw 'em this weekend and hesitated if I should post 'em up for ya: Here's why -

THIS ONE is a phenomenal looking boat in pictures, but it's "vintage." Good make, and it's a Merc but a 1970.
THIS ONE is looks good, but I don't know what kinda' power it's got. It might be sitting on the trailer weird, but might just be the picture too.

I think those two boats would be worth the drive down to take a look if the one in Clarksville is a bust.

Good luck!

jermaine

Seaman Apprentice

So here the deal we had set a mutual time to meet via text at around 5 today I don't live to far from him so i sent him a text as walked out the door to let him know I was on the way. When I get to his house I get a text saying that he out and will be home in a few so I wait 15-20 min text him back and he says he 20 min out. So i just said I will look at it some other time and by that time it would have been dark anyway. Maybe that was his plan maybe not but anyway. I asked him via text whats the engine make and all he knows its a V8. (So if doesn't know what it is how are you doing maintenance on it me thinking to myself). But I did a quick walk around I did notice that the (walk thru) glass not sure proper name for it was not lined up with the rest of windshield. Now it could not have been latched but I read on here some where about that being a sign of rot or something similar. And yes that is an OMC sterndrive. So guess its back to search engines for me. You guys and this forum are awesome if not for yall I probably be wasting $3000 dollars right now!

jermaine

Seaman Apprentice

looks like im making a trip to Nashville this weekend I like the century and like the price also im sure my wife does too Haha. But it's not a bowrider but maybe worth it if everything else checks out thanks