Looking to make my first boat purchase!

jermaine

Seaman Apprentice
What should I stay away from and what should I look for? I'm new to the boat scene and spend every free moments on this forum or looking for a boat. Looking for something I can take my kids (4) and my wife out on do some tubing and cruising. We currently live on Ft. Campbell and will spend most of our time on Ky Lake. My budget is $4000 -$5000. Thank in advance for your help.

southkogs

Staff member
Re: Looking to make my first boat purchase!

Welcome aboard Jermaine:

First boat ever? How old are the kiddos?

If they're younger you can start off with a smaller boat, but if they're hittin' their teens it's probably better to get into a 20 footer. IMHO - between 20' and 24' there's a significant difference. Tougher to tow, launch, recover and maneuver in tight spaces.

Brand doesn't mean quite as much in used boats ... go for condition.

Something like THIS ad is worth looking into. Price is in your ballpark, boat looks well kept, and is in a garage. Might be a good starter boat.

Have y'all tried renting anything for a day to see if you like it? You can do that down here in Nashville pretty easy.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

What should I stay away from and what should I look for? I'm new to the boat scene and spend every free moments on this forum or looking for a boat. Looking for something I can take my kids (4) and my wife out on do some tubing and cruising. We currently live on Ft. Campbell and will spend most of our time on Ky Lake. My budget is $4000 -$5000. Thank in advance for your help.

Welcome aboard! Check out this recent thread.

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-topic.../decision-points-used-family-boat-589111.html

It sounds like you might be looking for something in the 18-21 foot range. Now is a good time to buy both because of the economy and time of year prices are low. Things to stay away from in general would be OMC and Yamaha sterndrive powered boats as they no longer make those engines and getting parts for them is very difficult. Mercruiser "470" engines as they can be prone to overheating. (some are fine but why start off by taking a chance) Certain other makes and series of engines we can tell you about if you run into them such as Force or Mariner outboards. Boats that have sat for a number of years unused, outside, uncovered etc. (again some are o.k. but why start off potentially behind the 8 ball?) Floors in boats that feel soft or have soft spots in them. This is usually indicative of water damage to both the floor and the stringers (frame under the floor) that will need an expensive repair. Sometimes people will put down an extra layer of plywood over a soft section to cover this defect as seen here:

galaxieboat1paint_zpsc6d60100.jpg

Things we generally like are a complete set of service records, (or at least proof or regular fluid and filter changes, tune ups etc.) one owner boats, boats kept garaged, under cover or at least covered when not being used. Good looking and neat electrical wiring as opposed to a rats nest of wires apparently leading no where. Storage space for your stuff.

Bottom line you will need to start looking at ads such as craigs list, eBay, iBoats and others. Find a style of boat you like in the general price range you're looking at and start going out and actually looking at and kicking some tires. A lot of stuff will jump out at you as far as what you like and don't like. What boats look like junk, have obviously been treated like junk and not well maintained. You will naturally start to narrow down what you are looking for. As you do post pics of the boats here with the specifics on them and we will go over each boat with the pros and cons for you to help narrow your search even further. This forum is great for that. There are people from all over the globe who post here and the knowledge base is outstanding. Hopefully I gave you something to chew on for now. Feel free to ask about anything you can think of. Good luck in your search!!!

tpenfield

Staff member

Welcome aboard . . .

'We' like looking for boats and helping spend other people's money. So, you are definitely in the right place.

Based on your budget, you will be looking at 15-20 year old boats. At that age, brands won't be as significant as compared to the boat's actual condition and care. So, the things to look for (and stay away from) are:

Structural Rot - soft floors, cracking around the transom, wet areas, etc.

Recently replaced/rebuilt engines (not proven or proven to be a problem)

Engines that just need "______ ", according to the seller. (if it was that easy, they would have fixed it themselves)

Cracks in the fiberglass (where there is smoke, there is fire)

Use NADAguides.com to get your price references. If you have a friend that is experienced with boats, bring them along to look. Taking the boat out on the lake for a 'sea trial' is very valuable. Everything runs great in the driveway, but not necessarily out on the water.

There have been lots of threads about the boat buying experience, which I'm sure you have read through. Think about what sort of features you would like/need in a boat. If you are going to be out for day-long adventures, perhaps one that has a port-potti, bimini, etc.

Almost forgot - proper ownership documentation (title, etc) for boat & trailer. Seller should have it. if not, no deal. Check your local state authorities web site for what is needed to properly register & title the boat and trailer.

etracer68

Ensign

Also, even though I think there good drives, there out of business. Omc Cobra, or King Cobra drives. Harder to find parts for, and to get serviced.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

welcome:D,^all good advice. something else to consider. are you towing or keeping at a marina? if towing, keep in mind big boats need big tow vehicles. if you dont have or plan to get one, keep within the tow capacity of your vehicle. at a minimum of 18' for 6 people tho, i'm at little cramped at 5, even tho i have seats for 9. look at the potential weight of people and gear and compare to the capacity plate on the boat. get it surveyed in that price range before buying

jermaine

Seaman Apprentice

Welcome aboard Jermaine:

First boat ever? How old are the kiddos?

If they're younger you can start off with a smaller boat, but if they're hittin' their teens it's probably better to get into a 20 footer. IMHO - between 20' and 24' there's a significant difference. Tougher to tow, launch, recover and maneuver in tight spaces.

Brand doesn't mean quite as much in used boats ... go for condition.

Something like THIS ad is worth looking into. Price is in your ballpark, boat looks well kept, and is in a garage. Might be a good starter boat.

Have y'all tried renting anything for a day to see if you like it? You can do that down here in Nashville pretty easy.

southkogs thanks for the reply I have two girls age 14,13 and two boys 11 and 9. I really like that boat I saw it over the weekend and sent them some questions on their website. I haven't got a response yet but going to try to call them today. Haven't tried renting anything but been out quite a few times with friends and family and always had a good time.

jermaine

Seaman Apprentice

welcome:D,^all good advice. something else to consider. are you towing or keeping at a marina? if towing, keep in mind big boats need big tow vehicles. if you dont have or plan to get one, keep within the tow capacity of your vehicle. at a minimum of 18' for 6 people tho, i'm at little cramped at 5, even tho i have seats for 9. look at the potential weight of people and gear and compare to the capacity plate on the boat. get it surveyed in that price range before buying

thanks I will be towing with 05 chevy silverado 4x4 crew cab. And yes I will defiantly looking to get it surveyed being I know very little about boats.

jermaine

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks all good info and I will keep you informed and post pics of potential prospects. Very good info from all of you I really appreciate it!!!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

welcome to boating!

You have a tight fit on your requirements--you want something big enough for 6 active people, but under $5000; also it's better to start with a smaller boat--easier to handle and learn on. Being new, and this a family boat, the only boat, you need reliability and that costs money, too.

Anything that fits the above requirements will sell in a day, so you have to be prepared to grab it and, unfortunately, take some risks on condition. not nearly as risky with an outboard.

I suggest trying to stay on a single axle trailer if you can. cheaper, easier, less to go wrong. And an outboard.

Look for an interior design that maximizes open space. The popular (on lakes) bowrider inboard sofa boat is the WORST design in this regard. Since you are on a lake, you can go with a bay boat hull. Interior, look at center console with bow seating. All the children will ride up there. Wife rides next to you. No one sits in the back anyway. And of course, get that motor out of the way--you want an outboard.

Go to Sea Hunt as an example and look at all the families having fun in those designs.

I can't speak to deck boats but they also may be what you want. With an outboard.

the way to shop is to start with finding your design. window shop new boats at boat shows, on line and at dealers. only AFTER you have your hull and interior, start looking for used ones. otherwise you tend to find a boat and try to make your fit in it; go the other way and get a boat that fits you. With an outboard.

if there is one piece of advice for used boat shopping it's this: no title, no discussion. next, I'd recommend against any boat that requires any work other than clean-up, for a new boater.

We're not there yet, but if you are a new boater, never, ever, take the family on the maiden voyage.

cburnscrx

Cadet

welcome to boating!

You have a tight fit on your requirements--you want something big enough for 6 active people, but under $5000; also it's better to start with a smaller boat--easier to handle and learn on. Being new, and this a family boat, the only boat, you need reliability and that costs money, too.

Anything that fits the above requirements will sell in a day, so you have to be prepared to grab it and, unfortunately, take some risks on condition. not nearly as risky with an outboard.
I suggest trying to stay on a single axle trailer if you can. cheaper, easier, less to go wrong. And an outboard.

Look for an interior design that maximizes open space. The popular (on lakes) bowrider inboard sofa boat is the WORST design in this regard. Since you are on a lake, you can go with a bay boat hull. Interior, look at center console with bow seating. All the children will ride up there. Wife rides next to you. No one sits in the back anyway. And of course, get that motor out of the way--you want an outboard.

Go to Sea Hunt as an example and look at all the families having fun in those designs.

I can't speak to deck boats but they also may be what you want. With an outboard.

the way to shop is to start with finding your design. window shop new boats at boat shows, on line and at dealers. only AFTER you have your hull and interior, start looking for used ones. otherwise you tend to find a boat and try to make your fit in it; go the other way and get a boat that fits you. With an outboard.

if there is one piece of advice for used boat shopping it's this: no title, no discussion. next, I'd recommend against any boat that requires any work other than clean-up, for a new boater.
We're not there yet, but if you are a new boater, never, ever, take the family on the maiden voyage.

Excellent advice...I am sure I will be following all of these threads, as I am in a similar situation myself

QC

Supreme Mariner

I totally respect Home Cookin', but pretty much disagree on a CC for a family tow boat. Annnnnddd, OB's are not popular with Mama. Let me clarify something first, I LOVE OBs, but clean sun lounges and sterns are much better for watersports and relaxing. They just are.

Also, In my experience, If there is any rough water whatsoever Mama and the kids will migrate to the stern. Much smoother ride back there. Funny how different we can see things, but I submit how this guy plans to boat is exactly how we boat. Lake, Mama, kids, watersports, kicking back.

southkogs

Staff member

I totally respect Home Cookin', but pretty much disagree on a CC for a family tow boat. Annnnnddd, OB's are not popular with Mama. Let me clarify something first, I LOVE OBs, but clean sun lounges and sterns are much better for watersports and relaxing. They just are.

Also, In my experience, If there is any rough water whatsoever Mama and the kids will migrate to the stern. Much smoother ride back there. Funny how different we can see things, but I submit how this guy plans to boat is exactly how we boat. Lake, Mama, kids, watersports, kicking back.
I agree (all due respect to HC, he knows his stuff fer' shure) - Kentucky lake will be much like the water I run on, and a 18 - 21' bowrider I/O will do just fine. It'll also be the most likely candidate to fit the overall bill.

This time of year they'll start showing up on CL all over the Nashville area. There are also several places to rent for a day down here too and try something out.

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Renting is a GREAT way to see 1) is boating really for you and your family, and 2) what type of boat best fits your needs/wants.

Outdoor rec (MWR) boat rentals are as cheap as they come. Not sure what Campbell has, but outdoor rec at Knox had several different types of boats. We were renting baby Whalers there for about $90 for the entire weekend....way cheaper than owning a boat. I'd strongly suggest you take advantage of that benefit; there will be plenty of time to buy a boat in the future.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I agree with renting and if you are military, if your facility has boats you can use (our Navy base does and it's the best deal going.)

Not to be a downer but many people, especially those with young children and lots of them, find they use the boat way less than they thought. Take the number of weekends in your comfortable season, times 2 (for Sat/Sun), subtract weekend days in which (a) it rains or other bad weather (b) relatives come visit (c) you go out of town (d) one or more children have a Saturday activity you have to deal with, from sports to friends, (e) you have to work (f) you go to church (g) boat is broken (h) you have a committment and (i) summer vacation. Not many left. And it's a big investment for recreation, often with year-round expenses.

SO if your circumstances make a trial by renting, etc. work, go for it. You also get to try other types of boats instead of buying one and finding you wish you had something else.

Like an outboard. (Ok sorry lord forgive me and bless the pygmies in africa too)

Another thing about boat buying--realistically it will be a few weeks from the time you find the right boat until you get it in the water and use it, so don't wait until the late spring.

jermaine

Seaman Apprentice

well guys I checked out the MWR today and for a 19' ski boat for the weekend $506 or $316 for a day. I think that's a little much just to try out a boat. Or to rent on a regular basis. If I rented 8-10 times I already reached or passed my budget. And I'm set on buying a boat I have been wanting one for a while and I'm now in a position where I can get one. I would like to stay in the $5000 dollar range but for the right boat I think I could spend a little more. Again thanks for all the good info I'm not a big fan out the OB's and I really like the bowriders. I like having the swim platform. So that's my preference right now subject to change. But you all are the the pros I'm the rookie just personal preference but thanks for the advice you have a really good point. Just wish it wasn't so much to rent a boat or is that about the average price?

QC

Supreme Mariner

Just recognize that I/Os require more maintenance and could bring their own issues to any decision. I am an I/O supporter for you, but the selection is more critical with one. Please keep us plugged in. Good luck!

jermaine

Seaman Apprentice

Ok i will keep that in mind I'm a mechanic in the military and have been for the last 14 years. I do all my own maintenance on my vehicles so I know my way around a tool box. Tho I never worked on a boat and I know that's a different animal but I soon will learn.

southkogs

Staff member

You've got good territory to draw from on a 20' bow rider - plenty around Nashville, Louisville, Clarksville and the rest. Plenty of good lakes around too. Whatever you get - trailer it to Center Hill and Dale Hollow sometime. Maybe even over to Norris near Knoxville.

jermaine

Seaman Apprentice

Sure thing and yes there a few I have my eye on will post them on here soon. I really like that vip you posted got to find sometime to get off work and drive down and check it out.