looking for wire diagram for updated cdm conversion for a 96 mercury 120xr sportjet

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: looking for wire diagram for updated cdm conversion for a 96 mercury 120xr sportj

Yup forget the candybar its not required

Anders67

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: looking for wire diagram for updated cdm conversion for a 96 mercury 120xr sportj

Well it took a long time before i started to andustand this Wes Craven nightmare.

Don?t andustand why they had to complicated it so mutch.

Stator i andustand, becaurse if one of the coils to two CDM is dead, you shall be running home on two cylinders. So far so good.

It?s own power i good too if battery is dead, weak. But i tried to start mine with a string. Just for see ift its possible, if stranded on sea. Well i?m 195 cm long and 100-110kg ( gun)-smith. And i can tell you i could not turn it over. And you need to get it up a little in RPM to give start voltage on stator.

And another thing on mine. Put new reticif. on becaurse old burned. And it ground in coil plate, that are rubber mounted ???. So i run a fat negative wire from Reticif. to a good negative place (engine, neg wire batt etc.) Otherwise when battrey low on AMP , it will put near 19 Amps to the plate where CDM sits, and not so good grounding in engine block.

Now the big :facepalm::cool::rolleyes::confused::(:eek: !!!!!!!.

On the CDM models one CDM helps the other and are back slinged in wiring trough another. Wich will make a good CDM if you unlucky, to not work if one other is bad. They are also poltegeisted becaurse you can get good reading of them but the anyway will not work propebly.

Make shure your CDM ground to engine is good ( 2 on 120HP). There i had a gost-problem in mine engine. Worked okay low rpm, but throtteling up it would start to missfire. Found it out when testing the D********* boat out for the nr 550 round in sea. Had all wiring just loose on side and started to pull in all wires with engine running on idle. Then it started to missfire. So i solderd new connections on ground wires.

And never disconnect the battery when engine running. You can kill electrical komponents. It can be trouble if you have a battery kill switch too. If you turn it when engine running. Ore a switch between two batterys.

hypersniper

Banned

well this weekend i will be putting all the wiring on the motor and putting it in the water to try and start it without the candy bar.. lol...hopefully i will hear the sweet sound of a purring motor. i thank you all for your input on this very confusing motor. i will post up my results when i can. thanks again

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If it doesn't spark after you get it all wired up knowing that the boat initally had a mismatch of electronics on it make sure that the flywheel is the right one for the cdm trigger because if its the older cdi flywheel you will have to use the cdi trigger.

Check out this post regarding this issue.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=256035

hypersniper

Banned

it is a brand new flywheel so im hoping its the right one. i will get numbers off everything tonight and check. when i bought the boat it came with 2 extra triggers , 2 red stators, the 4 cdm's, regular coils, extra set of electronics and harness. and all the electronics that were on the motor its self. i bought it with a broken crankshaft and the guy said it had no spark......:confused: gee i wonder why. also had a blown out ride plate so im assuming he tried to start it out of the water.....#1 rule.... NEVER START IT OUT OF THE WATER !!! so we will see what happens when i put it in the water and crank it over tonight......

hypersniper

Banned

ok so after all this i have gone through i think i may have the wrong flywheel. it is part #261-859236c. it seems to be from a 2003 mercury 125hp outboard im not sure if its an interchangable part with my motor but its the one i have and seems to be just a bit too small so my starter wont engage with it completely and i did figure out that the candy bar size thing is in fact for the older upgrade. see #38 in the picture below. it is used with the older coils. so this is a list of the part numbers i could find.
flywheel: 261-859236c
trigger:828303a1
rev limiter:821889a24
rect:815279-4
no number on stator except 96b
well thats what i have and still dont have a running boat but im gonna go try another starter that i have and maybe it will work with the flywheel. or maybe i will just pull the transom plugs and let it sink to the bottom of my lake.
ignition.jpg

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I feel your pain at least I had mine running for 50 minutes on the water before all my issues started
Yuo came this far dont give up I felt the same way

Btw try shipwreck salvage for used flywheel i think they might have one for a cdm motor but it i
Was on a 90 might be the same part#

hypersniper

Banned

thanks for the info and its the wrong flywheel for sure that i have. its brand new too. what a shame. i will put it on ebay and try and sell it to pay for the other flywheel. at this point i dont care if i find an older flywheel that uses the old style electronics for now. i have all the old stuff like the coils and switchbox etc. i got it to turn over to check compression but i guess with plugs in it it puts more of a strain on the starter and flywheel meshing up and the starter just grinds on the flywheel teeth. seems like its like a 1/4" too narrow in diameter to mesh up properly. oh well i WILL get this thing running but for now it sits tied to my dock.

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm also on hold as I wait for my express delivery to ship my cdi box except its been nothing express about it ordered it last monday still not here this sucks

hypersniper

Banned

yup boat looks nice sitting in the water. just got my new vinyl and will be doing the interior over this weekend so it will look even better but it still dont run. dont have the cash right now to drop on the flywheel. got a brandy new one for a 2003 mercury 115 hp outboard tho. gonna try and sell that one to get the cash. lookin at high 90's this week here. thankfully my jetskis run and can use them on the lake for now. hers on the left and mine right.
IM003126.jpg

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The heat wave starts today and I have two boats but none ready. I have 1980's 18' 140hp I/O that needs a lot of interior work stringers, transom, floors, seats but the engine runs good but its useless for now

Trailratethisfx4

Seaman Apprentice

Its been in the upper 90's the past two days here in michigan and looks to be a nice weekend. I hope we can all get our boats done and in the water to enjoy this up comeing weekend. I got mine running ok but im now working on the jet drive hopeing that this will fix my problem with the boat not going fast or plaining out. Good luck to you both!

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks bro

hypersniper

Banned

mines in the water but not going anywhere for now. im in no hurry, gonna be plenty of nice days to use it when its done. still have to revinyl the seats and put new carpet in the bow. was 97 here yesterday and when i got home i was out riding my jetski for about an hour. i have a spare 90hp parts motor that was supposed to go with the other jet boat i just sold but the guy didnt want it. so i kept it and was gonne pull the flywheel from that one but all the magnets are off it and alot are broken and i cant get the damn thing to budge. it will run when i get the flywheel. i just have to be patient and wait to find the right one at a good price. and good luck to you also trail and thanks and everyone be safe on the water .

IM003001.jpg

Trailratethisfx4

Seaman Apprentice

Well i got my boat on the water this weekend, and i cant belive how good shes running. The only bad problem is still it wont plain out and has no speed. Im at wits end what could be causeing this problem. I was thinking maybe i need to buy a new impeller and wear ring but i would hate to spend all that money and that not be the problem.

hypersniper

Banned

if you put a couple washers between the hull and rideplate where the 2 rear bolts are on the jet drive it will help plane it out a little quicker. do a search and you will find it .

Anders67

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well i got my boat on the water this weekend, and i cant belive how good shes running. The only bad problem is still it wont plain out and has no speed. Im at wits end what could be causeing this problem. I was thinking maybe i need to buy a new impeller and wear ring but i would hate to spend all that money and that not be the problem.

If engine is runnig good. How does your jet impeller looks and, wear ring?. If your wear ring is damaged, you can restore it with chemical metal.

Trailratethisfx4

Seaman Apprentice

impeller looks great, i did the wear ring restor last week still the same problem. I went out last night and found the seal on the ride plate to be dryed out and cracked and it looks like exhaust might be pushing out of it from the corners and cause it to catch air. I think thats what it wont get up and go so i orderd a new seal for around the ride plate. Hope this works!

hypersniper

Banned

yeah that could do it , gettin cavitation throught the impeller from the seal leaking