Looking for bare engine block with pistons

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
And since there have been no new Quadrajets since 1990 good cores are to find. So it’s a Holley, Quick Fuel (like a deluxe better quality Holley) or the Edelbrock.

Westieman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi Lou C ! He's alive! Turns out the anti return valve was blocked sometimes. The pump is running fine! So, you were right ! Of course the valve housing broke off while dismantling. Found a solution to that problem. ( pic ) All I need now is some good weather to get the boat back into the water.IMG-20210629-WA0000.jpegIMG-20210629-WA0002.jpeg
View attachment VID_20210629_164158756.mp4
Is yours in the water now Lou? I hear the weather is great in NY or maybe to hot?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Hey Westie man glad you got it! I had this very same problem like 19 years ago when we bought this boat. At the time I knew Chevy engines and Rochester carbs but was not familiar with marine fuel systems. My mechanic found it and explained that the boat manufacturers use a cheap aluminum one that corrodes and he replaced with a better quality brass one. It’s been fine all these years. We had 3 straight days of rain; now better. Maybe tomorrow! Today is Independence Day so too busy at the ramp but I went down there anyway to check if they fixed the pot holes in the ramp lol; and they did!
Your boat looks great!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Here’s mine..

Attachments

• AB862BFF-69F4-4189-94B5-C96944C11FFD.MOV
    14 MB · Views: 0
  • D9D1242E-3148-45EF-9D23-5745B37606BD.MOV
    14.6 MB · Views: 0

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Finally got it in today. The angry cats keep the birds off...

Attachments

• 46B9498D-092B-478A-9015-8F018CB35CF2.jpeg
    46B9498D-092B-478A-9015-8F018CB35CF2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • 94369A23-E956-4FC4-813E-4E7FE5E21151.jpeg
    94369A23-E956-4FC4-813E-4E7FE5E21151.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 13

Westieman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I love your boat Lou, looks great!
Its amazing how much they sound alike. Yours is running a little faster I think but it is probably still warming up. Let the summer begin please, I could do with some nice weather. Forecast is ....rain :(

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Yep that was warming up. 1200 rpm, I set the slow idle in the water at about 600 rpm to account for the back pressure of the water. Best part is that I taught my son how to back up the trailer he’s getting really good at it lol.
Weather here is changeable might get a little from a tropical storm coming up the coast over the weekend. Our summers are usually really nice. That’s why we never leave Long Island in the summer...

Westieman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
If we were younger we would consider moving to a warmer climate. Might have been better for our health. But now that our health is ruined we can no longer get out of here. The medical care is great and at this very moment this is more important than a good climate.
We have had rain for weeks now, including thunderstorms. My lawn was never greener than is it today. We are in the 60°F but the nights are cold with low 50's. Last year we had 107°F! But that was a first and way to hot. Although we live only about 50 miles from the sea ( North Sea ), we experience little advantage from this. Of course, we are at 50°North. Long Island is at 40°North. This compares to the middle of Spain in Europe!
Btw, 50°north on your continent brings me to Winnipeg Canada!
I have been trying to locate the bay in front of you on Google maps to give me an idea of how your neighborhood looks like. Couldn't find it, way to big! With a storm coming, the cats on your boat will get scared Lou! :giggle:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Look up Northport Bay Long Island, that's the nearest official body of water, followed by Huntington Bay and then Long Island Sound. My brother just bought a house nearby and will have a boat too, so we can meet in the middle in Huntington Bay. It is a very nice boating area. When I was a bit younger and more daring I'd go out into LI Sound on nice days, but it can turn nasty fast and you can hit some big boat wakes out there.
I get what you mean about good healthcare, we are very lucky to have it here in the USA. As far as weather, we have hot summers, can occasionally have hurricanes (last big one was Sandy in 2012) and can have very cold winters with lots of snow, or mild with nearly none. When Sandy came I already had a generator, but the gas stations had no power so no one could get gas. Well I had 25 gallons stored up, went through that, then because we had pulled the boat out of the water, siphoned 40 more gallons out of it, to keep the generator going!
Here's a pic of me driving back with as many gas cans as I could buy about 4 hrs before the storm really got bad. The tide was not fully up yet but by nightfall that street was under water. Lucky we live on top of a hill!

Attachments

• Sandy's coming.....jpg
    Sandy's coming.....jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 4

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Westie,
Just a couple of pix of the Chap, have to get some more, this is crusing down the canal in Amityville Long Island near the dealer where he bought it.

Attachments

• IMG_2969.jpg
    IMG_2969.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2970.jpg
    IMG_2970.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3

Westieman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Westie,
Just a couple of pix of the Chap, have to get some more, this is crusing down the canal in Amityville Long Island near the dealer where he bought it.
Looks very nice Lou, also the scenery! Looking forward to the video...;):cool:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
That would be awesome
Your boating area looks beautiful very different from here

Westieman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The final corrections!
Shifting became impossible once a gear was selected.
This was due to the idle being to high and the ESA system not functioning correctly. As can be seen in the next video the arm of the micro switch has been "modified" by the previous owner in order to eliminate the system ( for one reason or another). Bending the arm slightly was not a good idea.
Lou C. can explain precisely how the system works.
Anyway, the system now works correctly and reduces the idle rpm by a few hundred rpm if the shifting is hard, enough to take the load of the shifting system / prop shaft .
View attachment VID_20210720_154516613.mp4

Next, the rev counter was way off. At the back of the instrument there is a adjustment. There you select the number of impulsion / revolution of the engine. Is was wrongly adjusted at 2 instead of 3 imp/rev ( 6 cyl 4stroke ) . You can see the difference in the next two videos.
Also you will notice that the rpm stays a little high when returning to neutral. This was due to the throttle cable that needed some adjustment.
Before...
View attachment VID_20210720_155112063.mp4
And after....
View attachment VID_20210720_163120777.mp4

Final adjustment of the idle will be performed once the boat is back in the water.
Thank you Lou for your expert advice!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Looks like you got it! Now to test in the water to make sure it shifts the same with the load of the water on the prop.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
With it set right and engine idle at 600 in gear in the water it should shift really easily like in and out with 2 fingers. Besides the shift system adjustment the trick is getting the throttle cable adjustment right so the engine reliably returns to idle every time….other wise it tends to drift up to 700/750 and then shifting gets a bit stiffer.
Here’s a little vid getting out across one of our local bays. On the left is our old FW and on the right is my brothers 2020 Chapparal

Attachments

• IMG_3091.MOV
    36.2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3092.MOV
    8.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Westieman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi Lou C !
Thanks for the video's!
Must be great to wonder around on those fine waters, love to be there with you guys!
Over here, it has been raining almost every day with thunderstorms etc., so no boating. Seems we had the most wet summertime ever! Not happy but hey, what can we do about it...
Keep up making those videos, brings some happiness.
From what I hear on the forecast, you guys will be getting a real hurricane once more. So Lou, stay safe my friend!!