Looking at a Maxum 3000 scr

partskenn

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm looking at buying a new (for me) boat. The boat of interest is a 2000 Maxum 300scr. I have been looking online for a couple months, and have found 3 or 4 that are close enough to go look at. Before I do, a couple of questions. What would the hull construction be on that boat? Balsa core, foam core, or what. And what would be good or bad in those choices?
Second, a friend told me that that boat could have both motors turning in the same direction, not one counter rotating. Could that be possible, and if so, how would you tell? My single tachometer shows direction, but do all of them?
Would the props be obviously twisted in opposite directions? What if the props are off?
Before I ever bought, I would pay for a survey, but I would like to narrow the choices down intelegently. Any answers or advice appreciated.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Looking at a Maxum 300scr

I fixed your title as it said Maxum 3000. Let me know if I have it wrong.

I am not sure about the hull construction, but the engines will turn the same way and the opposing prop rotation will be handled by the drives or trannys. I/Os? Direct?

r.j.dawg

Ensign

Some of those 300's came with twin 5.0's and some with twin 5.7's. I would opt for the 5.7's. A dock mate has one with the 5.0's and he finds it under powered. JMO

partskenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

QC, much as a 300 footer might amusing, you are correct, it is a 300scr. All the boats are I/Os, one Duoprop, The rest are all regular Bravos. Most have twin 5.0s one is twin 5.7s, one has twin 4.3s, which strikes me as pretty underpowered for that size boat.
The reason that I asked about rotation, is that my single has a lot of what I would call torque steer at low speed, which can make docking even more challenging at times. I hoped that twins would aleviate that, but it seems like 2 props turning the same direction would have the same problem.

Philster

Captain

See, with Duoprop, you need less HP to get a smooth plane experience and cruising attitude. So... maybe this offsets the '5.0 is underpowered feedback'.

Not saying it does, just would like to know if those who qualified the 5.0 twins as under-powered know of the drive setup.

QC

Supreme Mariner

The 5.0s will be fine depending on your speed requirement regardless of the drive. They will all have opposite turning props, so prop torque is a non-issue. As Philster says, the Duo-prop will plane the easiest regardless of power, even with the 4.3s.

NYBo

Admiral

Yes, the DuoProp setup is very desirable, and certainly makes the question of whether the drives are counter-rotating moot.

r.j.dawg

Ensign

I believe the dock mate I referenced has Bravo II's on his 5.0's. I agree that if he had counter rotating Bravo III's he wouldn't have the feeling of being underpowered.

NYBo

Admiral

To pick at nits at little: DuoProp is Volvo-Penta; Bravo 3 is MerCruiser.

r.j.dawg

Ensign

To pick at nits at little: DuoProp is Volvo-Penta; Bravo 3 is MerCruiser.

No nit picks NYBo. Keeps it clear what we are talking about. VP vs Mercruiser.
113.gif

NYBo

Admiral

No nit picks NYBo. Keeps it clear what we are talking about. VP vs Mercruiser.
113.gif
I'm guessing a Maxum will have MerCruiser power.

r.j.dawg

Ensign

Anyone I've seen has. After all, they were owned by Brunswick

r.j.dawg

Ensign

So, back to the ops original question, my pick for a boat that size would be the 5.7 B III, if it's one of the choices. If not, the 5.0 B III would be my second choice. After all, that is a heavy boat.

Thalasso

Commander

So, back to the ops original question, my pick for a boat that size would be the 5.7 B III, if it's one of the choices. If not, the 5.0 B III would be my second choice. After all, that is a heavy boat.

I have twin 5.0L 270 hp with DuoProp's on a FourWinns 288 (30 ft overall) weighing in over 10000 lbs loaded and it goes just fine. It doesn't go like a performance boat. It's not made to.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Been debating whether to chime in here, but here goes...

Your passenger load will make more of a performance difference than the single vs. dual prop question. If you regularly carry a load of passengers, opt for 5.7's. If it's normally just you, or you and the wife, 5.0's should be okay. 4.3's are out. Period. Don't even go there. My boat (smaller and lighter then yours) runs fine for the wife and I. 6-8 passengers bogs it down.

Choosing a BIII over a BII will NOT make you think your 5.0's are 5.7's. As for prop steer, once you get the hang of running twins, you can actually use it to your advantage. Coming into a raft-up on a calm day, I can 'crab' in (walk the boat sideways) using propeller torque.

Buy the best boat with the right size motor for your needs and don't obsess about how many props you get.

My .02

shrew

Lieutenant

I fixed your title as it said Maxum 3000. Let me know if I have it wrong.

It's actually a 3000 SCR. Maxum uses 4 digits for all their model designations, like SeaRay uses a 3 digit designation.

2400 = 24 ft
2700 = 27 ft.
2800 = 28 ft
3000 = 30ft

QC

Supreme Mariner

Dang, and I knew that, friends had both a 2100 and 2300. Right you are. Fixed it . . .

Philster

Captain

Choosing a BIII over a BII will NOT make you think your 5.0's are 5.7's.

Don't believe that was said. 5.0 doesn't replace a 5.7 because the 5.0 has DuoProps... but it screams for this question: DuoProp has some advantages over traditional prop setups. Wonder what they are....

Two propellers working in tandem are able to deliver better fuel efficiency (by 15 percent). Thrust and acceleration will increase at slower speeds (by 15-20 percent, respectively), and top speeds will also increase thanks to reduced propeller slipping. Duoprops also suffer less cavitation-related damage.

So, it makes a given setup work better. So, while their is no replacement for flat out increases in engine displacement/power in some cases, there is something in between just 'it's a 5.0 or 5.7'. The drivetrain needs to be considered -- well worth noting for sure.