Look what I did! (Ok a little bragging)

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander
Gotta admit I'm pretty proud of this. My dad and I built it over 3 weeks. Biggest delays were waiting for the inspections. <br /><br />Not too bad for a first timer eh?<br /><br />
DECK3.JPG
<br />
DECK5.JPG

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Look what I did! (Ok a little bragging)

Nice, Job, Steve. :) <br /><br />I could use one like that on my house. What are you and Dad doing for the next three weeks?

QC

Supreme Mariner

Way cool. I am considering a similar project. Do you mind sharing the budgte numbers?

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

Nice job! I was checking out the stairs, and you did a nice job. Not everyone does.

Triton II

Commander

Just realised, it's the deck you're talking about. At first I thought your whole house and it must have come pre-fabricated!<br /><br />Good job Steve, we could do with some decent builders here in Aus... :cool:

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Bass Man, that's the second set of stairs. First one got rejected on framing inspection, the top rise was not equal to all the rest. The ones that are there now are perfect, I made sure of it. :) <br /><br />I did a quick rundown of the numbers and I'm at about $2000 total, including all lumber, bolts, screws, concrete, and the auger rental (wasn't up to digging a 18" wide X 32" deep hole five times by hand.). Everything. Not too bad considering the end product. <br /><br />Hey JB, we'll probably be lounging on the deck for the next 3 weeks when we're not fishing. :) Best case we'll be fishing during the day and grilling up fluke fillets at night.

Twidget

Commander

It looks beautiful. Congrats on a job well done.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Nice job! Just gotta wait for those sea levels to rise and you'll be well set. :D :D <br /><br />Chris.................

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

Oh, it's the whole deck you built. I was thinking why were you bragging about 3 weeks to build just the stairs. :) <br /><br />Nice job there.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Very nice. Very professional looking. What was there first, the house or the deck? <br /><br /> :D <br /><br />I like the 4x4 post top design.

Skinnywater

Commander

Well worth the bragging rights.<br />Are you leaving the underside open? <br />Maybe a little prefab lattice? <br />Or a Privet hedge planted around the perimeter.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks everyone! <br /><br />Here's a before picture:<br /><br />
BEFORE.JPG

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Skinnywater, the entire perimiter is getting prefab plastic white lattice, both for appearance and to keep the 2 yr old away form the nails and stuff under there.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Looks great SN. You should be proud. It'd probably cost you 2.5 times that to have it done. Two questions. Why so deep on the support posts?? In my experience the outer posts are just set on concrete pylons at ground level. 2nd-how is the deck fastened to the house? Are you into the sill plate or the concrete footing?

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Great lookin porch Steve.<br /><br />Also want to compliment you on your boat and tow vehicle. Nice pics.<br /><br /> :D

JRJ

Commander

Nice job. Did you do the carving on the posts? How do you like the plastic property line fence? I think they look good.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Boom, 32" is the code in my town. Footer needs to be 12" thick so there is concrete from 20" down to 32". then the post is set on top of that in about 8" of concrete. Then the rest is filled with dirt. They came to inspect the holes before I filled them so no cheating. <br /><br />The deck is fastened to the house at the sill plate, a 24' 2X10 bolted every 16" with a 1/2" lag bolt as well as a bazillion decking screws. Not going anywhere. <br /><br />Code also called for hurricane ties between the beam and joists due to the 105mph wind zone I'm in to keep the deck from flying away. <br /><br />JRJ the posts were prefab from Lowes. Even came with the bottom notched out. <br /><br />The fence was here when I moved in. Full backyard perimeter. It's not even 2 years old. I love it. I also love that I didn't pay for it because it was $9500. :)

Dunaruna

Admiral

Great job! Are you going to paint it? Treated pine looks great when it's new, not so good as it 'greys'. IMO.<br /><br />Aldo

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Going to weatherseal it. Don't think I want to stain it or paint it.

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

Very Very Very Nice!!!