Long term reliability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

newtahoe

Recruit
Bought a new 2021 Tahoe 2150 in June and it has spent the last two months in the shop waiting on a failed throttle position sensor to arrive. This failed while out on the lake which caused the motor to initially only stay in the idle position and then fail to restart. So a failed computer chip left us dead in the water.

Also have had some other small failures like screws coming out, latches not aligned, broken latches.

This on a boat with less than 5 hours of use.

Now trying to decide on pursuing a manufacturer buyback or keeping the boat and hoping this was all an aberration and not par for the course with Tahoe.

Any feedback from other Tahoe owners on the overall long term reliability of their boats over the last 5-10 years? I know all manufacturers can have some issues but just trying to gather what info I can before I decide on keeping it vs trying my luck with a different brand.

Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
My opinion

Tahoe doesnt make the motor, so remove motor and controls and treat separate from the boat itself

Those types of infantile failures are why there is a warranty process for the motor.

Your issue with the tahoe is screws backing out, broken latch and mis adjusted latches. This is build quality issues and should be covered by the warranty from tahoe

These issues are typical of mass produced lower end boats such at tahoe, stingray, bayliner, etc

Reliability is subjective and directly proportional to care and maintenance

Plastic hatches, hinges, etc usually come from 2-3 sources for all boat bulders using plastic deck hardware

Removing the deck hardware (common to all boat builders using plastic) and the only issue you have left that is workmanship build quality related is the screws falling out.

Have the dealer address under warranty.

Doubt you could get Tahoe to buy back the boat anyway

AK 2150

Cadet
Bought a new 2021 Tahoe 2150 in June and it has spent the last two months in the shop waiting on a failed throttle position sensor to arrive. This failed while out on the lake which caused the motor to initially only stay in the idle position and then fail to restart. So a failed computer chip left us dead in the water.

Also have had some other small failures like screws coming out, latches not aligned, broken latches.

This on a boat with less than 5 hours of use.

Now trying to decide on pursuing a manufacturer buyback or keeping the boat and hoping this was all an aberration and not par for the course with Tahoe.

Any feedback from other Tahoe owners on the overall long term reliability of their boats over the last 5-10 years? I know all manufacturers can have some issues but just trying to gather what info I can before I decide on keeping it vs trying my luck with a different brand.

Thanks
I've got a 2019 Tahoe 2150 and have had great luck with it. My biggest problem is finding any resources for questions on how to do things with it. For example, I have never been able to find any links on how to install the cover, or drain the sink, ect.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I've got a 2019 Tahoe 2150 and have had great luck with it. My biggest problem is finding any resources for questions on how to do things with it. For example, I have never been able to find any links on how to install the cover, or drain the sink, ect.
Better to start a topic about your Tahoe & ask questions there

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.