Long shaft motors

Hello everyone! I was wondering y’all can help me understand why long shaft motors in lower horsepower can be hard to find?

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Lower HP motors generally get put on smaller boats. Smaller boats usually have a shorter transom height.

Some smaller motors are used as sailboat aux power. These often have long shafts, so they can reach the water easier.

Does that get it?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Most Johnson / Evinrude motors from the 1950's through 90's can be converted to long shaft.----And many " sail models " left factory with a 10" extension.

I get it now. I own a 15’ Lund that requires a long shaft motor, and they don’t seem to be as readily available as a short shaft. I will look at the motors suggested above to see if I can find a one for my boat.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Lots of them around in my area.-----Should not be hard to find anywhere.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Around the great lakes area, trolling is very popular so folks are looking for small motors to keep wear and tear off their big expensive motors. Most need long shaft motors to keep them higher up out of the prop wash.

Thanks for the info. Would y’all go as high horse power as the boat will allow? I’ve got a little 6 hp motor on it and it’s good for a pond but that’s about it.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That boat is likely rated for 30 HP + motors.-----Should be lots of those in ling shaft I would think.

airshot

Rear Admiral
What are you doing with your boat ?? That determines motor size. Going fast, skiing, tubing etc needs HP. But an ocassional fishing trip at short distances, any size that is faster than rowing !!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Was at a " free beer " event about 30 years ago.----Got my first one no issue.----Was aghast at the line up for my second one.----So held up my plastic cup high and in view with a $1 US note between my fingers.----Had my second beer in no time.----When I looked back I had to chuckle as there were more than 2 dozen folks doing the same thing.

What are you doing with your boat ?? That determines motor size. Going fast, skiing, tubing etc needs HP. But an ocassional fishing trip at short distances, any size that is faster than rowing !!
I want to do boating and a little fishing. You’re right anything beats rowing.

Was at a " free beer " event about 30 years ago.----Got my first one no issue.----Was aghast at the line up for my second one.----So held up my plastic cup high and in view with a $1 US note between my fingers.----Had my second beer in no time.----When I looked back I had to chuckle as there were more than 2 dozen folks doing the same thing
Great story. I’m willing to bet you’ve got more than one good one.

It must be a slow time of year for motors because very few long shaft 25 horsepowers in my area. Spring should produce some more I hope.

airshot

Rear Admiral
It must be a slow time of year for motors because very few long shaft 25 horsepowers in my area. Spring should produce some more I hope.
Yes, most are put away for the winter, but when the weather breaks....be ready ! Nothing wrong with looking now, keep a sharp eye out. If a nice one pops up, you need to be ready to pounce !!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Check your local facebook market place.-----In my area if you search ---facebook outboard motors parry sound----You would find lots of motors.-----But then there is lots of water around that area.

I’m in indiana. We have some water but nothing major near me.

How much would you expect to pay for a 25 hp motor? I see them all the way from $100-$1500+.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Simple for me.---Find a suitable non running motor.----Pay a little for that motor.---Pay for parts to refurbish it to run like new.---Then you know what you have.