Long cranking after sitting 1-2 weeks Mercruiser 4.3

Franco_boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,
I have got Mercruiser 4.3L with 2BBL Carb, now its almost the end of the season and due to weather we have 1.5-2 weeks brake with boating. The carb was rebuilt 2 years ago
my starting procedure is 2 full throttles and starting the engine
after this 2 weeks brake when starting I had to crank the engine a twice a little longer (5-7 secs) with more pumpings, but after that the engine starts and runs perfectly
why is that? During the season when we boat frequently its no issue at all. it starts perfectly when cold and hot but only after sitting more than 1-2 weeks i have to crank longer for the 1st start of the day.
Is it moisture maybe in the engine?

Thank You

Scott06

Admiral
Hello,
I have got Mercruiser 4.3L with 2BBL Carb, now its almost the end of the season and due to weather we have 1.5-2 weeks brake with boating. The carb was rebuilt 2 years ago
my starting procedure is 2 full throttles and starting the engine
after this 2 weeks brake when starting I had to crank the engine a twice a little longer (5-7 secs) with more pumpings, but after that the engine starts and runs perfectly
why is that? During the season when we boat frequently its no issue at all. it starts perfectly when cold and hot but only after sitting more than 1-2 weeks i have to crank longer for the 1st start of the day.
Is it moisture maybe in the engine?

Thank You
Carb bowl can dry out during sitting. Fuel pump doesn't run to refill bowl until starting cranking, unlike injected engines where fuel pump primes when you turn on the key.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Sounds like you got good advice.

This may not apply to you since you said it starts sometimes when it's cold, but I'll mention it anyway.
I had a similar problem that was caused by the choke coming out of adjustment somehow. The choke butterfly wasn't closing when the engine was cold. After I adjusted the choke it was all good.

Mine is also a 4.3 with a 2 barrel carb.

flashback

Captain
Over a lifetime of carbonated motors I've found they are a bit like a wife and have mood changes that you learn to deal with! LOL

Scott06

Admiral
Can I do something with it or just live with it and boat more frequently? :)
I think what you describe is fine and means your boat runs very well. I know from your posts you like to work on your boat but i wouldn’t go looking for more work…