Locking outboard while boat is on the trailer

HRG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have a 6HP Tohatsu outboard. Plan to leave the motor on the boat while the trailer is parked in our carport at home. (Carport so is not enclosed with a garage door.)

Any recommendations for a good outboard motor lock that locks the two motor mount screw handles? Other ideas?

flashback

Captain
Yep just bring it in the house. If I were in the thiefin mood I would take the whole rig. LOL.
seriously tho a cable and good lock is about the best you can do.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Talk to your local locksmith, there are padlocks that are extremely difficult to cut or get open....but they are not cheap and you wont find them at Home Depot

froggy1150

Senior Chief Petty Officer
In todays age a battery operated 4" grinder is a "master key" so locks and cables will slow and deter some.....
I would also look into hiding one of those apple tag things also so you would have a chance of recovery

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Locks only keep honest people honest

Best would be pull the motor and take inside

robert graham

Admiral
Cover the motor with an old burlap bag and some bungee cords….then it won’t sit there all shiny and pretty and begging to be stolen…..

airshot

Rear Admiral
Yep, add a lock to slow them down, add a secret security camera so you can get their picture, and add the security tag so you can get it back......or take it in your garage/ house so it cant be stolen..honestly...I would enjoy catching them stealing it..!!!

Chief Petty Officer
When you take away the opportunity to steal ... they can't steal because there's nothing TO steal .

It's only 50 LBS . Bring it inside already

HRG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Cover the motor with an old burlap bag and some bungee cords….then it won’t sit there all shiny and pretty and begging to be stolen…..
I like that idea! I will cover the motor with something old and ratty along with locking the motor mount screws.

HRG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When you take away the opportunity to steal ... they can't steal because there's nothing TO steal .

It's only 50 LBS . Bring it inside already
It's 55 lbs which is too heavy for me at my old age and back problems. Not worth pulling my back again and being laid up for a month or two so I'll have to chance it by locking the motor and other methods. Thanks.

Chief Petty Officer
Since you can't bring it inside, try installing a motion detection light in your carport and park your outboard right under it.

outboard-lock-6cfad5b8-e9e6-40a0-8192-8751a9aabb02.png

I gave a friend one of these for his brand used Johnson 25. I like the fact that you can change the padlock if it ever stops working.

Throw a tarp over it, make it look ugly. Put things around your outboard to block access. Possibly even enclose your carport so it's harder to access. Get a dog , they help weigh down your bow.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The clamp handles should have a hole in the end. Tighten them so that the 2 handles point toward each other and then put an ordinary HD armored padlock thru the 2 holes.

It won't stop a dedicated thief, but it'll make one less dedicated to simply pass it up.