Lock nuts on the cowl mounts! Grrr...

DJ_Allatoona

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My motor ('86 Mercury 75hp) has three of these rubber cowl frame mounts that have to come off occasionally. It's a puzzle to me why they have to use those LOCK NUTS on the top and bottom, the type with the two-way distorted threads. On one of mine the top threads are ruined, on one the bottom threads are ruined, and the third one both threads are ruined.

If I got new mounts I'll have to saw the old ones off because the nuts just spin on the threads. What's wrong with the good ol' lock washer and normal nut? Or a nyloc?

fuRm4q1.jpg

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Those nuts should not have destroyed the threads. My guess is owner error on reinstalling them.

Dukedog

Captain
My motor ('86 Mercury 75hp) has three of these rubber cowl frame mounts that have to come off occasionally. It's a puzzle to me why they have to use those LOCK NUTS on the top and bottom, the type with the two-way distorted threads. On one of mine the top threads are ruined, on one the bottom threads are ruined, and the third one both threads are ruined.

If I got new mounts I'll have to saw the old ones off because the nuts just spin on the threads. What's wrong with the good ol' lock washer and normal nut? Or a nyloc?

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"533","width":"400","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/fuRm4q1.jpg"**[/IMG2]

standard merc stuff.. cheaper than ny-loc.. some used on carb mount studs also.. like scott says, someone over torqued 'em if nut and/or stud thread messed up....