load range c versus load range e on trailer tires?????

usmeagle

Seaman Apprentice
foks i need to get a spare or replace both tires and use one of the ones curently being used as a spare. i have a question though, is there a big difference between Load range E versus C? my current tires are Load range E on galvanized rims.
Thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Yes - Load carrying and construction. The higher the load rating the higher the weight capacity and more plies.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Big difference depending if the trailer is maxed out with the current tires. Load E goes up to 80 psi vs Load C goes up to 50 psi. If you need to use the full load capacity of the Load E tires a Load C tire will be overloaded.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Example two tires in the size 245/75-16
C rated capacity is 2,200 lbs @ 50 psi
E rated capacity is 3,000 lbs @ 80 psi

you need to know how much Load your boat and trailer is putting on each tire; you see though there is a big difference at full inflation pressure.

matt167

Captain
If your trailer is new enough it will specify the minimum load range.. However I'd get a load range E in a Goodyear Endurance if you can get them ( Covid halted tire production, Goodyear is running out of stuff )

ESGWheel

Petty Officer 1st Class
You can always go over but not under. And the valve stems and supposedly the rims need to be rated to the tire pressure as well. While the rating limits of trailer, etc. should be adhered to, nothing beats imperial data. Go get your boat / trailer weighed. Weigh the combination of the tow vehicle + boat / trailer and then just the trailer tiers on the scale. Lots of truck scales on the freeways and perhaps a local sand and gravel yard will accommodate. Just go talk to them.

And then make an informed decision.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Lots of truck scales on the freeways and perhaps a local sand and gravel yard will accommodate. Just go talk to them.
.[/FONT][/SIZE]

Don't even need to talk! CAT scales has an app that is entirely automated, and they are at most truck stops. First weigh is about $10, reweigh's are cheap. So weigh the entire rig, go park the boat in the lot, then weigh the vehicle. Because the scales are multi-segment, this will also give you the tongue weight with a little math if you park in the right spot.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
In 2017 I replaced the Goodyear Marathons that were put on my trailer in 2005, with the Goodyear Endurance, I was at the Weight Limit on the Marathons, but now have a Buffer with the Endurances.