Livewell pump replacement/installation?

7lazy77

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had to replace an old livewell/aerator pump in the boat. I chose to replace the old Rule pump with a Johnson pump that has a removable cartridge, which makes for easier replacement if ever needed again. I will be using 3m 5200 adhesive/sealant..... but not quite sure if I need to also apply a bead on the inside of the transom when installing? Any other "tips" before I install the pump that I should be aware of? This is my first time replacing a pump, so dang sure want to make sure it is done correctly since it is below the waterline! Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Livewell pump replacement/installation?

I had to replace an old livewell/aerator pump in the boat. I chose to replace the old Rule pump with a Johnson pump that has a removable cartridge, which makes for easier replacement if ever needed again. I will be using 3m 5200 adhesive/sealant..... but not quite sure if I need to also apply a bead on the inside of the transom when installing? Any other "tips" before I install the pump that I should be aware of? This is my first time replacing a pump, so dang sure want to make sure it is done correctly since it is below the waterline! Thanks

Ayuh,.... Use 4200, so you'll be able to replace it when necessary,.... 5200 is Forever,....

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

To do it right, intakes below the water line should have a seacock. No sealant required

7lazy77

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is a 16' aluminum boat.