Livewell operation

shaggy3d

Recruit
Purchased a new to meet boat last summer. A 1990 spectrum bluefin 17.5. Has a single livewell, switch on dash for on and off. Drain in livewll is a stand pipe. My problem is that's its filling the livewell through the stand pipe when I turn on the pump, not filling through the pipe at the top of the livewell, which has an on off valve.

shaggy3d

Recruit
So put a plug in the top of it and take it out when I need to drain some water out?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
The stand pipe is usually the overflow, so you can keep the pump running for aerating the livewell. I worked on one that was not working correctly a few years back. Turned out the swithching valve was bad bypassing the the switch. Post a pic of your setup.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Guessing you’re missing a valve or switch somewhere.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
The system is plumbed incorrectly. Water is drawn from below the waterline (normally at the stern) and pumped into the livewell through the aerator at the top of the tank. The spray nozzel is normally adjustable and in some cases can be shut off. With the standpipe in place the pump can be run continuously and when water reaches the top of the pipe it simply drains out through a drain port at the side or at the stern. Simply pull the standpipe to drain the tank.

Cortes100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The 2 hoses must be installed on the wrong fitting. There should be an access panel to get to the pump & hoses. Remove the hoses and swap them around.