Liquid smoke on burgers...how to?

nwcove

Admiral
New to liquid smoke and was wondering what is the best way to get it evenly dispersed in burgers?

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Liquid smoke on burgers...how to?

I used to just sprinkle it on the outside of burgers while pan frying or cooking them on a George Foreman type grill. I assume you could just dribble it on the meat after spreading it out w a fork and before making patties, and adjust the amount after eating them a few times until it suites your taste.

nwcove

Admiral

Thanks mommiked, i will be using a george foreman grill, and i guess my biggest concern is ...how potent is the stuff? Will a few drops per burger be overkill, or not enough to even notice?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I would mix into the meat prior to cooking

sangerwaker

Commander

Strength depends on the brand. We usually buy Wright's brand (brown glass bottle with yellow cap) and it is quite potent. I'd start with about 1/4 tsp per burger and adjust from there. I agree the best way to evenly distribute is to mix with the meat before forming patties if you are making your own.

We've tried a couple of other brands in the past that were not nearly as good as the Wrights brand.

Wright's Liquid Smoke Flavoring | All-Natural Condensed Seasoning

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

I'd smoke the hamburger for an hour at low heat <100˚...but if you're gonna 'cheat' I'd personally flavor one of my condiments (mayo, mustard, ketchup, etc...) then you can add to the taste profile you'd like?

I really like adding my homemade chipotle to mayo and putting that on burgers...yummy!

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Keep in mind I've never done the following. I do know that stuff is very potent and a little goes a long way. I usually add about a tsp full to half cup of bbq sauce for oven cooked ribs.

For burgers for the first attempt I would add about a tsp to 1/3 cup of water and brush in on with a cooking brush.

nwcove

Admiral

ok, tried two methods, i mixed 4 drops with the meat for 1 pattie, and spread two drops on each side of another pattie. the mix with meat burger worked out the best, but four drops was just enough to taste the smoke flavor....gunna up it next time to 6 drops! the best part was the wonderful smell while they cooked!!!!

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I'm a son of The South, and barbecue is a staple of life around here.

Most meats are cooked outside on either a gas grill or on a Weber grill with charcoal. It's nice to have screened porches to protect us even in times of bad weather.

We simply don't use Liquid Smoke. That includes barbecue sauces with liquid smoke in them. I just can't stand the taste.

nwcove

Admiral

I'm a son of The South, and barbecue is a staple of life around here.

Most meats are cooked outside on either a gas grill or on a Weber grill with charcoal. It's nice to have screened porches to protect us even in times of bad weather.

We simply don't use Liquid Smoke. That includes barbecue sauces with liquid smoke in them. I just can't stand the taste.

wish i had those options up here in the winter! have grilled on the bbq when its -20c, but its brutal when the wind blows....so i just have to get creative and work with it!

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

I use liquid smoke in my oven dried deer jerky marinades and it definately makes it taste better. I also failed to mention I often splashed Worstershire sauce on the burgers cooked on a hamberger press type kitchen cooker and it also gives a nice flavor, similar to a real grilled burger. I use Colgin Liquid Smoke, it has a milder, sweeter flavor than some of the others that are more concentrated and can easily overpower meat if too much is added.

nwcove

Admiral

Umm, guys I worked in the largest spice and flavor company many years ago and know a bit about that "stuff". Try this on, employees creating and bottling it were required to wear full body protection and masks if they worked anywhere near it. Eat it? NO WAY!!!

i know a guy who works in a chlorine factory, he still drinks municipal water, and swims in his pool.