Linkage gear shift problems GMC 1989 350 V8

beachinmoney

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Linkage gear shift problems GMC 1989 350 V8

Thanks, Gary, he just told me I was irritating him, if I don't light a fire under him this boat won't ever get in the water. While it looks nice just outside my kitchen window, it also looks like to belongs in the water when the sun is out. I guess those cushion slip covers won't be happening. Now it's on to the cable. If there ends up being something wrong with the dog clutch then I don't know, sell the boat, what should we check there first, never mind, I will re-read the info from the site. Is there any chance that something else could be wrong with the shift cable that would required just adjusting something? Could it be twisted or clogged or anything like that??

beachinmoney

Seaman Apprentice

Well, it looks like the boat was shifting into gear until the gear shift was replaced by my boyfriend, he said it broke and so he replaced it, that was about $300. So, that to me means that the dog clutch must be okay right??

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

West Marine is way more expensive on the Cobra cables...
You really need the OMC factory manual with step by step adjustments with pictures.
The manuals on CD just don't cut it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I have done 3 of these cables. I suggest getting the OMC cable. I would check out the prices from here:

http://www.fasteddiesmarineparts.com/

It can be a bit tricky getting the adjustment just right. It is important that the bellcrank gets set at the proper angle of 90 degrees. There is a special OMC tool that i always rented to do this although you can use the straight edge approach as mentioned in the manual and the Hastings article. This bellcrank is where the cable attaches down at the drive.

One more thing about the OMC manual. There were alternate instructions sent out after some of the manuals were printed. I believe the most current are mentioned inthe Hastings article.

beachinmoney

Seaman Apprentice

We think we have it figured out, maybe, that it is the black cable that comes from the shift lever down to the electronic butterfly (or whatever it's called), it's the black one. Bruce gave me the link for a place to try to get the other part but I was wondering if anyone knew what this cable is called along with a few other questions here... I think we are almost there. When turning the propeller from below going towards the right it is not turning freely it was lightly clunking into place, is that because the dog clutch isn't engaging properly, what to do about that, do you all think we need to take the outdrive off still? It goes in and out of gear manually but when tied into the shift lever, which is brand new, it doesn't feel like there is enough stroke. To work on this do we absolutely have to take the outdrive off as it seems the adjustment is up top. We can shift fine if done from motor but not from the lever... We are trying to avoid that because we know that it was off before we bought it and when we got it it shifted into gear like butter when we replace the shift lever last fall. What is happening now has only changed from then due to putting the new motor in and or possibly sitting over the winter? Does that make any since. See he had someone else that we were told was a great mechanic install the shift lever and after working with the guy for about a month he realized that the guy was not a mechanic at all and not real bright, he just wanted to try and get close to my BF in hopes of getting some money and use of our boat. My BF had just gotten a settlement for an accident. We only found out about 6 months ago that the house where we worked on the boat and were told that we could moore it at for free did not belong to the man we were dealing with it belonged to his girlfriends mother, (all very confusing)
What I am hoping is that all we need to do is order the black cable and have this solved and be in the water. Every time we turn around it's something else. And I'm sure that someone here is going to say that's what owning a used boat is all about. We just feel like we are due at this point as we have put about $5k into it and replaced so many things that the boat gods owe us some clean motoring!!!;)

Another question could it be non cable related, and could it be something electrical due to the 2 piece linkage. This question is directly from my BF.... Hope your all at home on your computer tonight and not out on your boats!!!;)

The weather has hit the 70's which is good for the Seattle area. Thanks in advance for any input, we really appreciate it!!:D

Last edited:

beachinmoney

Seaman Apprentice

edited and copied to above question.

beachinmoney

Seaman Apprentice

Is everyone having fun on this holiday weekend. I hope so, I'm still here and on dry land!;)

beachinmoney

Seaman Apprentice

still looking for some direction..... Weather suppose to be good all week, please help....

beachinmoney

Seaman Apprentice

We think we have it figured out, maybe, that it is the black cable that comes from the shift lever down to the electronic butterfly (or whatever it's called), it's the black one. Bruce gave me the link for a place to try to get the other part but I was wondering if anyone knew what this cable is called along with a few other questions here... I think we are almost there. When turning the propeller from below going towards the right it is not turning freely it was lightly clunking into place, is that because the dog clutch isn't engaging properly, what to do about that, do you all think we need to take the outdrive off still? It goes in and out of gear manually but when tied into the shift lever, which is brand new, it doesn't feel like there is enough stroke. To work on this do we absolutely have to take the outdrive off as it seems the adjustment is up top. We can shift fine if done from motor but not from the lever... We are trying to avoid that because we know that it was off before we bought it and when we got it it shifted into gear like butter when we replace the shift lever last fall. What is happening now has only changed from then due to putting the new motor in and or possibly sitting over the winter? Does that make any since. See he had someone else that we were told was a great mechanic install the shift lever and after working with the guy for about a month he realized that the guy was not a mechanic at all and not real bright, he just wanted to try and get close to my BF in hopes of getting some money and use of our boat. My BF had just gotten a settlement for an accident. We only found out about 6 months ago that the house where we worked on the boat and were told that we could moore it at for free did not belong to the man we were dealing with it belonged to his girlfriends mother, (all very confusing)
What I am hoping is that all we need to do is order the black cable and have this solved and be in the water. Every time we turn around it's something else. And I'm sure that someone here is going to say that's what owning a used boat is all about. We just feel like we are due at this point as we have put about $5k into it and replaced so many things that the boat gods owe us some clean motoring!!!;)

Another question could it be non cable related, and could it be something electrical due to the 2 piece linkage. This question is directly from my BF.... Hope your all at home on your computer tonight and not out on your boats!!!;)

The weather has hit the 70's which is good for the Seattle area. Thanks in advance for any input, we really appreciate it!!:D

Over the last 4 days my BF has been able to get it to go into reverse and forward but he feels there isn't enough cable for anything else. Does this make sense? Do we need a new cable... Please help we are both very discouraged!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Over the last 4 days my BF has been able to get it to go into reverse and forward but he feels there isn't enough cable for anything else. Does this make sense? Do we need a new cable... Please help we are both very discouraged!
What do you mean for anything else..there isn't anything else?

I sent you a PM.

beachinmoney

Seaman Apprentice

Hi, we are still at it trying to fix this boat. We replaced the cable and now we think we need these, Inner shift cable or intermediate shift cable, throttle cable and remote top cable. I can't find what the parts are to do a search so any help would be really appreciated!!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

So...did you replace the cable that goes from the engine down to the sterndrive?

beachinmoney

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, and took the sterndrive off as you suggested. If you can call and talk for a minute.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You should remove your phone number from the post. Only send out phone numbers in private messages.

beachinmoney

Seaman Apprentice

A friend came over and they say that it is those three cables because the engine is idling at 1000 RPM's to lower it. So we need the return spring and these other three cables. He gave the print out to his friend and now I'm trying to find these parts and don't know exactly what they are called. The return spring is easy, it's the inner shift and intermediate throttle and remote top cable that I need to hunt down.

beachinmoney

Seaman Apprentice

I was trying to find the link that showed where to go to see the manual that was posted before but I don't see that link.