What size generator?

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
My dad is thinking of buying a generator.<br /><br />What size would he need to run lights, fridge, fans, and water well?<br /><br />Also, what do you guys think of a propane generator? Are they efficient?<br /><br />We were thinking propane might be easier to come by during a disaster, as there are plenty of places that have pre-filled bottles.<br /><br />Thanks, Ken

ehenry

Commander
Re: What size generator?

Google generator sizing and the very first link will let you pick and choose what you want to run.<br /><br />I have a 10k gen set on my house that runs on natural gas. It runs everything except the electric oven and the central air compressor unit. It also has an automatic transfer switch that cranks the unit and transfers to standby power with out me having to do anything. It also cranks and runs the generator for 15 minutes every two weeks.<br /><br />It paid for itself when Katrina blew through.

ndemge

Commander

Personally, I think I might opt for propane, IF you are going to keep a good supply of it onhand. It never goes bad, so you can have a 100lb cylinder. Even better if you already have a propane tank for the house. Natural gas I wouldn't want, if there is a problem with utilities, it's possible that could be cut off as well. Propane is usefull for cooking and heating as well.<br /><br />Gas and Diesel both have a limited shelf life.<br /><br />If you have propane heat and can live without AC, you can have a much smaller generator. Personally, If I were to get one for my house, I'd size it big enough to run the AC, and a welder :)

ehenry

Commander

THere are tri-fuel generators ie: gasoline, L/P Gas, and natural gas. Mine will run either natural gas or L/P gas with out rejetting. The regulator on the machine handles that for me. The only thing I'd need to do would be to hook the tank to the generator and turn the onboard valve to L/P.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

We were thinking propane cause we have a 100 lb tank already. No natural gas at the house.<br /><br />We are also thinking there will be many used generators available here in a couple of months. These people rushed out and bought portable ones for the hurricanes, they may need the money after the power comes back on.<br /><br />Ken

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Running just the necessary items, how long do you figure a 100 lb tank would last for?

ZmOz

Captain

A diesel generator would be much easier to fuel in a disaster - you can run it on diesel, heating oil, olive oil, transmission fluid, motor oil, almost anything remotely oily. Diesel will last 5+ years if stored properly...

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I run my whole house with a 5000 watt Coleman generator. It runs the well (240v), fridge, big freezer, oil furnace, TV, various lights, PC and outdoor floods. Have even run the cloths washer (not dryer) and one or two elements on stove with planning - turn off some lights, the TV, etc. <br /><br />I have run the house for two days that way. The 10 hp generator will run about 8 hours on 5 gallons, a little longer if the power draw is light.<br /><br />But 6000 or 8000 watts would be better. With 5000 watts the lights dim when the well kicks in, or the stove is turned on. And when demand exceeds supply, the 240v breaker in the circuit panel trips. Never did have the generator breaker trip.<br /><br />If I ever get the luxury of adding a big permanent generator pumping out 20 or 30K watts, I would go with diesel power. Can share the fuel between the oil furnace and generator. A nice feature when you don't know when you will be able to get out for more fuel.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

We went through hurricanes Andrew (3 weeks without power) and Katrina (4 days) with a 3 kw 8 hp Briggs & Genrac generator. We powered two side by side refers + lights & fans. For Katrina we connected directly to the gererator. For Andrew my neighbor (an electrician) pulled the meter can and connected the generator to the house side.<br /><br />On the fuel of choice - go with whatever you think you might be able to get readily. You will use a lot. For us gasoline is much more available than propane.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I would go with propane and propane accessories.
150px-HankHill.jpg

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Even though I already have a 250gallon propane tank I would go for a diesel generator. Diesels are much more efficient than Otto cycle (spark) engines.<br /><br />In any rural community you can find a supplier of "red" diesel, no road tax, used for heating oil and farm equipment. It has a "shelf" life exceeding 5 years.