Lil' Dinghy

drwgblanks

Seaman
Re: Lil' Dinghy

BTW, he said he wanted to help me finish it. I will let him. It only helps to appreciate something like this, if you had your hands on it from the build. Anyway, I'll post up pics tomorrow of the beginning. Then I'll post up more as we progress. Shouldn't take more than a week.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

That's pretty cool. Did he say baaaaad like it was good or baaaad like it was baaaaad?<br /><br />Get pictures!

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Dave J Z:<br /> I say try it, and if it doesn't get completed, then Show him the progress. I know if someone did that for me I'd be so shocked that it didn't matter when it was done, it is just the fact that someone was taking there time out for me... I'm sure you two buildin it would be enough to cover up the not being done in time. I bet you can do it tho...
I almost hate it when this happens :D

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Very cool. BTW was it pretty easy to put together? and yes pics are a must... I've decided as of late that I think I like the project more than I like the end result. Thats just me. :D

swimmin' for shore

Chief Petty Officer

Note to self: Find more friends like drwgblanks...Good for you, man. And they're all right. Post us some pics.

cpj

Ensign

Yes, d blanks we MUST see pictures of your dinghy!I mean.. well you know what I mean.

drwgblanks

Seaman

Ok......up coming, a picture of my dingy<br /><br /><br />JK<br />
28723241413.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] <br /><br />This is when we were just getting it together. All those screws and supports will come out once I get some epoxy goin. I'll get more pics later. And to answer the question "was it easy"......well everything was easy till I got to trying to trace the bottom like the plans on that site say to do. pffffffft. You put the sides together and then rock the boat on the other sheet of ply and try to trace it. HAHAHAHA. We tried that shyyyt. Finally I added some more supports to the bottom and turned it over, tacked the sheet of ply to the bottom bent to the curvature. Then traced it, took it back off and cut it. I got about 2 and a half hours in it so far, 3 tops. And before the jokes commence, that's not me in the background. That's my buddy, and guess who he's talking to? Seriously, guess.

cpj

Ensign

Is he talking to your dinghy?just kiddin, thats a fine looking dinghy ya got there!

drwgblanks

Seaman

lol, no. Geez, this should be an easy one. Ok, here's a hint. We're just a couple of guys, innocently drinking beer and building a boat in a shop in my backyard. Away from his home. Who's the first one to call and nag?

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

lol.... hasnt found the power button on the cellphone yet huh

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Your mom??<br /><br />Looking good.<br />Look at all the beer cans in that shop. You building that thing with recycling money?

drwgblanks

Seaman

Lmao. You should see this little shop. It's got an entertainment center on one side. You can't even dream up an amount of beer cans that would equal to what's laying around this thing. Anyway thanks guys, I need to get a side shot of this lil boat, it's gotta cool old-school shape to it. And if you didn't guess, it's his wife naggin his a$$ to get home. Go figure. Sheesh, I'm 20 ft from the back door of my house and I get that call all night every night.

drwgblanks

Seaman

Question for you more "experienced" guys. Remember I said this boat was supposed to be extremely cheap? Well you all think polyester resin would be ok in this application? Was reading the building a boat thread. You think I could get away with putting a little flour in polyester to use for filler in the inner chines? Then a layer of maybe 6 oz cloth on the exterior? Oh, and I would be painting a coat of it all over the interior too. Or do you all think it's pretty important to use epoxy?

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Poly is OK but epoxy would be better. Use a real filler though it's cheap enough. I'd at least tape the seams. Then coat the whole thing in resin. You could glass it all if you want that would add some durability.<br /><br /> http://www.westsystem.com/ <br /><br />There is a ton of good info here most of this applies to epoxy and poly alike. You get what you pay for.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm no authority on it but I used poly on both my projects and no leaks yet.... many many manufactured boats used poly and if its good enough for them, its good enough for me. Besides i cant find epoxy in my area... i'd have to order it. I can get poly just about anywhere. :) I'm not ordering epoxy till I build something that I want to last forever. :D

drwgblanks

Seaman

cpj, progress is slow. I've been busy with work. Last night though, I did get a chance to try to actually work on the inner side of the chines. I am actually pretty pissed that I chose not to use epoxy. I don't even want to say what I used. Ok, I used that tiger hair fiberglass filler. Nothing has failed so far, but I'm actually ashamed of myself for not spending a little more to have it right. oh well, we'll see how it holds up. In the next couple of days I'll start getting some fiberglass on her, and of course work on the seat. Hey, if worse comes to worse, I may end up getting some epoxy and just painting it over the polyester....lol. Anyway, I'll keep you updated with pics when I've got something "picworthy".<br /><br />Btw, I used epoxy to glue the bow together when I first started. I finally pulled the screws out of it (screws that you see in the picture). You couldn't hammer that shyt apart if you tried. That's why I'm upset with myself, because I know that the polyester I'm using everywhere else isn't gonna hold even close to that good.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

did you at least coat the wood with resin before you used the fiberglass filler? It may not stick if you didnt let resin soak into the wood first. if thats the case you may be able to break the filler out and do it properly. If you did coat the wood first, it may stick just fine... in the case you soaked the wood first then used the filler, just sand it down to a smooth bead then use some mat in along the inside edges and wet it with resin.. it'll be very strong. <br /><br />Using epoxy after you've used Poly is a no go. Epoxy will not stick to poly. You'll need to stick with poly now... <br /><br /><br />hopefully CalicoKid will chime in here... he knows quite a bit more about epoxy and poly than I do :)

drwgblanks

Seaman

I thought that you could use epoxy over poly, but not vice versa. And no :mad: I didn't paint resin on it first :( . I actually knew about this, but I got a little carried away last night because it was late and didn't even think about it until you just said something. You think I should try to pop that shyt off and start over? ugh

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would yep.... just me though... Shouldnt be to difficult as that puddy like stuff wont have soaked in and wont have much to grab on to. A gallon of Poly and Hardener only runs about 25 to 30 bucks. Not too bad considering the alternative costs. Just make sure that it soaks into the wood good before you put the fillet in the seams or they wont stick properly.<br /><br />sorry I was wrong about the epoxy sticking to poly.. Just went back to research it. guess poly doesnt stick to epoxy.. you had it right.