Lifejacket storage?

Hogger

Petty Officer 1st Class
What do you guys do with your lifejackets when you come home after boating?
I hate leaving wet ones stored in the boat. And leaving them draped over the seats and gunnels just gets them in the way.
You guys pull them out and hang them? Any nifty storage ideas for when your boat is stored?

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Lifejacket storage?

I've got a bar hanging from the garage ceiling above the back of the boat. They just go on hangers and hang to dry. Get some dripping on the carpet of the boat if they were super wet, but it works well enough. In front of that on the ceiling is a rack that holds 2 pairs of combos, 2 slaloms and 2 boards

southkogs

Staff member

My boat is stored in the garage, so I usually drape the wet ones over the windscreen. Otherwise they're stowed.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a clothes line between the braces for garage door at the ceiling. Just hang them over that until i need them. You can reach it when standing in the boat...and they are out of the way when you are on the garage floor or cleaning the boat.

m casey stock

Chief Petty Officer

We hang ours on plastic hangers Until they dry good and then I re-stowe.

robert graham

Admiral

Let 'em dry, then put 'em in a black plastic 55 gallon trash can with a tight fitting lid...I use this for lots of boat stuff!;)

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

I keep 'em on a shelf in the garage.

However you store 'em, keep out of sun as much as possible. Nylon plus UV equals rapid deterioration.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

I made a drying rack with treated 2 x 4's that is mounted to the wall of the garage. I hang the life jackets and ski ropes on it. The water drips on the cement floor and dries up. Works great. In the winter I store them in plastic that is vented so if moisture gets in it will not mold. Not uncommon to go from 32 degrees F to -20 in a day of so here. It is like Siberia. Hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class

i use plastic hangers, and hang them on the extra part of the garage door track. It doesnt use the last 2ft or so, so i hang them there.

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

I usually only have one wet - hang it on the side of the boat in the garage.

i really like the idea of using the rafters or garage track above the boat. thx guys!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

hang them over the gunwales until dry, then store in a mesh laundry/gym bag. that way I have a large bundle of PFD's to get in the way in the cuddy vs individual PFD's everywhere.