Lest you think I have no good news...

PW2

Commander
My youngest daughter just started an internship with the Microsoft corporation this summer.<br /><br />She is soon to graduate from Oregon State University with a degree in software engineering, and was one of six kids nationally to land an internship with MS.<br /><br />She has been legally blind since she was 5, and pretty much totally blind since she was 12. It has been a long hard road for her, and she has worked extraordinarily hard. She has had to fight at every turn, both people trying to stand in her way and people trying to help.<br /><br />Lest you think this is no big deal, try passing a college level math class involved in 3 dimentional graphs with your eyes closed. I have no idea how she does it, but she has.<br /><br />And in her spare time, she recently completed the Portland marathon in 4 hrs and 8 minutes. Her goal was 3 hrs and 40 minutes, which would qualify her for the Boston Marathon. Traffic, and a few traffic cones that managed to tackle her slowed her down, but she is going to try again.<br /><br />At any rate, she is a good kid, and save for a couple unauthorized tattoos, I am extraordinarily proud of her.

LadyFish

Admiral
Re: Lest you think I have no good news...

PW2, your good news really warms my heart. <br /><br />It proves that because of your daughter's fierce determination and strong will, she has more vision than most of us. A special girl indeed and one to be very proud of.<br /><br />Your unconditional love and support of her has no doubt played a huge role in her ability to overcome. Kudos to you and your wife! :)

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

that's awesome PW :D <br />congrats,<br />M.Y.

oddjob

Commander

Great news PW..you should be proud!

one more cast

Captain

now thats heartwarming news PW, Thanks for sharing.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Great news, PW2 :) <br /><br />I can see how proud of her you are, and justly so.

JGREGORY

Lieutenant

Great news PW2, You have every right to be very proud of her. :cool: :cool: :cool: :) :) :)

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Wow... Thats one spunky young lady.. Congradulations PW and Daughter... :)

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

The best news of all,PW!
emthup.gif
emthup.gif

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

That is, to say the least, one AWESOME girl ya' there PW. Much congrats to her and to you for all the time I know you've spent with her helping her to acheive what she's done. <br /><br />I like this kind of news. :D

bubbakat

Captain

Great news if you ask me.<br />A handful of Kudos to her

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Congrats PW and little PW. Thats good new to hear. Maybe one day she can solve Microsofts forever ending problems. Even if she can't she has done TREMENDOUSLY WELL already.

PW2

Commander

Thanks. She is a good kid.<br /><br />She has been assigned to work on a new version of Outlook, in the debugging process.<br /><br />As many flaws as Micrsoft has, and I will never argue they don't have flaws, I will always defend them for one important policy. They have always, from when it was introduced to today, made it possible for Windows and their software generally to be accessible. For every operation able to be performed with a mouse, there is a corresponding keyboard command.<br /><br />That is not able to be said about Apple, or Netscape, or many other of the large software producers.<br /><br />As far as my involvement, she did all her high school years living with me in Northern Ontario, as her mom and I are divorced, and I was living in Ontario under provisions of the Free Trade Agreement.<br /><br />At any rate, she deserves most of the credit, but I did teach her how to advocate for herself. She'd of course be embarrassed, but we would make sure that high school principal, with the aid of the district head of special ed, devised a plan for her and stuck to it.<br /><br />At Oregon State, once in a while she would call me proudly with a story of how one professor or another would not follow thru on something crucial for her success, and how she documented everything and built an airtight case, and took it to whatever level she needed to to take that professor to his knees.<br /><br />Now there is a girl after my own heart!!!

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Very good news!!<br /><br />Glad you shared that.<br /><br />Ken

aspeck.gh

Recruit

Congrats to the little PW! Hope she can get the bugs out of MS!

brother chris

Commander

From one parent to another. It's great to be a proud parent.<br />Great news. :D

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Your daughter sounds like a beautiful person. One to definitely be proud of. Congratualtions! You are one to be proud of too for being there for her. You have my respect. <br />Bassy

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by OBJ:<br /> That is, to say the least, one AWESOME girl ya' there PW. Much congrats to her and to you for all the time I know you've spent with her helping her to acheive what she's done. <br /><br />I like this kind of news. :D
PW I could have picked and quoted anyone here but the word AWESOME came to my my mind when I read this :) <br />What way to end the 4th of July with!<br />Thanks for taking the time to share this AWESOME story<br /><br />Link

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

PW - congratulations to you and your daughter!<br /><br />Speaking as someone who works with and has a lot of contact with Microsoft - they seem to hire only high calibre people there. I couldn't think of a better place for her to start a career in software (good choice). :)